Kids will be kids, and cops will be cops

stevenkesslar
This topic is 3277 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://news.yahoo.com/mckinney-texas-police-pool-party-video-205421706.html

9 in 10 Americans say it would be a good idea for more police officers to wear body cameras to record their interactions. For me, this video is why.

You can decide whether we should stop expecting kids to be kids, or stop expecting cops to be cops. Either way, some part of this is about communication, and some part of it is about training. The good news to me is the more we have body cameras recording these interactions, the more likely it is everybody is going to walk away a little bit better at communicating, a little bit better trained, and - most important - a lot more alive.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/08/usa-today-pew-poll-eric-garner-michael-brown/20098781/

As I understand it, this was a case of black teens legitimately at a pool party and neighbors calling the cops on them because they didn't believe they belonged there. I don't know if there were noise beefs or what, but the officers treated the white boys who filmed this respectfully while pulling guns on the people with black faces and sitting on the back of a girl wearing a swimsuit.

A Twitter friend of mine from Florida who is white says she has to go to the pool (apparently a community one) when her daughter invites friends who are not white (black, Hispanic, or South Asian/Indian) to go with her because the neighbors harass them and tell them to leave.

The police chief in McKinney, who has even more info on this event than we do, has said that there was no excuse -- none, zip, zero -- for the cop to behave in the manner that he did in this video. His resignation will give him time to respond to the avalanche of (completely appropriate) lawsuits about to come his way.

9 in 10 Americans say it would be a good idea for more police officers to wear body cameras to record their interactions. For me, this video is wh

Have to agree with the 90%. Even if police resist the idea. That said, smart phone video means they are likely to be filmed anyway, so their objections will be immaterial.

It stilll won't be a guarantee. I recall reading somewhere that an Arizona policeman had been the subject of three separate complaints. Regrettably his body camera had failed on each occasion.

Fortunately this event didn't have a tragic outcome. The supervising cop was clearly out of control and I cringed when watching him manhandle the 14 year old girl. I was impressed with how quickly the police chief addressed the errors and I respect the cop that resigned for being a man, acknowledging his mistakes and apologizing. There is a lot of bad hiring and bad training in too many police departments. And I'm over the "I as afraid for my life or he was going for my gun or I didn't intend to kill him" way too many are walking back to their jobs. The white cop in Utah that wasn't charged for murdering a white teenager outside a convenience store who was listening to music gets me angry too. The stupid cop wasn't charged because he didn't have bad intentions - who cares - he was stupid and murdered a kid. Put on a uniform with a badge, strap on a gun and take a paycheck you should do better.

Police Headquarters Completes New Addition To Accommodate Officers On Desk Duty For Misconduct

http://i.onionstatic.com/onion/5056/8/16x9/960.jpg

NEWS IN BRIEF June 16, 2015

Vol 51 Issue 24 News · Scandal · Police

CHICAGO—In an effort to expand its congested facilities to better meet the department’s staffing needs, the Chicago Police Department announced Tuesday the construction of a new addition to its headquarters that will allow it to accommodate officers who have been placed on desk duty due to allegations of misconduct. “As an increasing number of our patrolmen are reassigned to administrative tasks pending the resolution of their internal investigations, we have found it necessary to expand our floor plan,” police chief Garry McCarthy told reporters, saying that the new annex includes ample space for officers removed from active duty and relegated to clerical tasks such as filing reports and categorizing evidence. “We were simply running out of places to put officers who had been taken off the streets for disciplinary reasons. This extension should allow us to accommodate the overflow for the foreseeable future.” At press time, the new addition was already filled past capacity, with many officers working two to a single desk.

http://www.theonion.com/article/police-headquarters-completes-new-addition-accommo-50674

Police Headquarters Completes New Addition To Accommodate Officers On Desk Duty For Misconduct

http://i.onionstatic.com/onion/5056/8/16x9/960.jpg

NEWS IN BRIEF June 16, 2015

Vol 51 Issue 24 News · Scandal · Police

CHICAGO—In an effort to expand its congested facilities to better meet the department’s staffing needs, the Chicago Police Department announced Tuesday the construction of a new addition to its headquarters that will allow it to accommodate officers who have been placed on desk duty due to allegations of misconduct. “As an increasing number of our patrolmen are reassigned to administrative tasks pending the resolution of their internal investigations, we have found it necessary to expand our floor plan,” police chief Garry McCarthy told reporters, saying that the new annex includes ample space for officers removed from active duty and relegated to clerical tasks such as filing reports and categorizing evidence. “We were simply running out of places to put officers who had been taken off the streets for disciplinary reasons. This extension should allow us to accommodate the overflow for the foreseeable future.” At press time, the new addition was already filled past capacity, with many officers working two to a single desk.

http://www.theonion.com/article/police-headquarters-completes-new-addition-accommo-50674

So lets go there.

What do you guys think about the "alleged" rise in murder and crime rates?

It's too early to tell, but they seem to correlate to cities where there have been riots and the cops have been called out and are in revolt - St. Louis, Baltimore, New York. I think I read in Baltimore and St. Louis murders have about doubled.

Cf. among others Foucault, Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison

...In examining the construction of the prison as the central means of criminal punishment, Foucault builds a case for the idea that prison became part of a larger "carceral system" that has become an all-encompassing sovereign institution in modern society. Prison is one part of a vast network, including schools, military institutions, hospitals, and factories, which build a panoptic society for its members. This system creates "disciplinary careers"[8] for those locked within its corridors. It is operated under the scientific authority of medicine, psychology, and criminology. Moreover, it operates according to principles that ensure that it "cannot fail to produce delinquents."[9] Delinquency, indeed, is produced when social petty crime (such as taking wood from the lord's lands) is no longer tolerated, creating a class of specialized "delinquents" acting as the police's proxy in surveillance of society... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discipline_and_Punish

...In examining the construction of the prison as the central means of criminal punishment, Foucault builds a case for the idea that prison became part of a larger "carceral system" that has become an all-encompassing sovereign institution in modern society. Prison is one part of a vast network, including schools, military institutions, hospitals, and factories, which build a panoptic society for its members. This system creates "disciplinary careers"[8] for those locked within its corridors. It is operated under the scientific authority of medicine, psychology, and criminology. Moreover, it operates according to principles that ensure that it "cannot fail to produce delinquents."[9] Delinquency, indeed, is produced when social petty crime (such as taking wood from the lord's lands) is no longer tolerated, creating a class of specialized "delinquents" acting as the police's proxy in surveillance of society... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discipline_and_Punish

I don't speak French.

Can you translate that into English? ;)

I do think we've incarcerated too many people, but in my question above I'm referring to the spike in murder and crime rates since Ferguson. I just read murder rates have doubled in places where the cops have been the focal point if riots and protests like NYC, St. Louis, Baltimore.

You got me for a second. I thought you meant Jean Bernard Léon Foucault, of pendulum fame.

So lets go there.

It's too early to tell, but they seem to correlate to cities where there have been riots and the cops have been called out and are in revolt - St. Louis, Baltimore, New York. I think I read in Baltimore and St. Louis murders have about doubled.

The main reference for this seems to be from the Wall Street Journal, a Fox News outlet.

On the other hand,

Applying the “Ferguson Effect” to New York City is hard to do, for example, since the police slowdown following Eric Garner protests
on the city’s crime rate, according to Police Commissioner Bill Bratton. After two officers were killed during the weeks of demonstrations, the NYPD staged its own protest by refusing to arrest people for petty crimes. Many thought the move would prompt chaos, but crime actually dropped in every borough.

Mauer thinks the “Ferguson Effect” is a dangerous concept, saying, “It gets us back the era of the 1980s when police had crime policy developed by soundbites and anecdotes. We had the War on Drugs and ‘three strikes, you’re out.’ Far too often one sensationalized crime was made to stand in for the entirety of the crime problem. It’s not a reasonable or ethical way to go about doing research, and it doesn’t inform us about public policy and what we should be doing.”

The main reference for this seems to be from the Wall Street Journal, a Fox News outlet.

On the other hand,

Applying the “Ferguson Effect” to New York City is hard to do, for example, since the police slowdown following Eric Garner protests
on the city’s crime rate, according to Police Commissioner Bill Bratton. After two officers were killed during the weeks of demonstrations, the NYPD staged its own protest by refusing to arrest people for petty crimes. Many thought the move would prompt chaos, but crime actually dropped in every borough.

Mauer thinks the “Ferguson Effect” is a dangerous concept, saying, “It gets us back the era of the 1980s when police had crime policy developed by soundbites and anecdotes. We had the War on Drugs and ‘three strikes, you’re out.’ Far too often one sensationalized crime was made to stand in for the entirety of the crime problem. It’s not a reasonable or ethical way to go about doing research, and it doesn’t inform us about public policy and what we should be doing.”

Interesting point.

I did hear this on Fox News, but I also read it in Time, which is not right wing.

Thanks for this posting, Azdr0710. Very informative of a bad situation that could be looked at in the end as a positive result knowing maybe it was best for corrupt officer to resign if he know what's best for him for the safety of his health and now lack of career being on the police force in the future.

I just read murder rates have doubled in places where the cops have been the focal point if riots and protests like NYC, St. Louis, Baltimore.

It's true that the increased murder rate has doubled in these 3 states within the last few month actually if not tripled.

Archived