uber

jakeleyman
This topic is 1638 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As for sending rides for Uber, I just order a car in my name use that the person's pickup point to my home. I tell the person the car etc and to use my name. No disclosure except my address, which is the biggest one.

Uber is a godsend in Prague. (1/3 to 1/4 taxis). Not cheaper in Zurich. Banned in Barcelona.

In DC I'm absolutely terrified of the DC taxi drivers from bad experiences and politics and even if they're not cheaper try to always use Uber. For people aging in place Uber/Lfyt is a godsend. While they may not be 100% kosher, cities throttle Uber and Lyft at their immense peril. They are ubiquitous and popular and beloved.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Bad Things About Uber and Lyft In One Simple List

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/02/04/all-the-bad-things-about-uber-and-lyft-in-one-simple-list/

The article does not mention Vancouver, but it is the largest city in North America that does not have Uber/Lyft. My personal observation about that city is that, at least in the core downtown area, traffic congestion is much less than one would expect in such a densely populated and affluent area.

Vancouver has excellent public transport and has so far been able to keep these charlatans out.

All the Bad Things About Uber and Lyft In One Simple List

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/02/04/all-the-bad-things-about-uber-and-lyft-in-one-simple-list/

The article does not mention Vancouver, but it is the largest city in North America that does not have Uber/Lyft. My personal observation about that city is that, at least in the core downtown area, traffic congestion is much less than one would expect in such a densely populated and affluent area.

Vancouver has excellent public transport and has so far been able to keep these charlatans out.

Great read!

• 4 weeks later...

More on Lyft and Uber underpricing with actual numbers.

[MEDIA=twitter]1101887861064908800[/MEDIA]

I wouldn't be surprised if they later ask for subsidies or hike prices once they've driven their competition out of business and dismantled customer protections. They're in a better position to use a monopoly/oligopoly (which is what they're working toward) to drive prices higher than Amazon is, although it could backfire.

Or they could compromise, but that isn't the way of American business. In Seoul, South Korea, Kakao Talk's ridesharing app is going into use after being met with massive traffic-halting protests by taxi drivers. Kakao Talk has agreed to limit the useability of the app to designated peak traffic hours, to which the taxi drivers have also agreed on the basis that it is better for society as a whole even if it hurts their business a little.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1QO157?__twitter_impression=true

This is what a community-oriented, as opposed to an individualist, adversarial society is like. It's also how true personal responsibility, as opposed to guilt-tripping others, occurs.

(Disclaimer: Korean society, North or South, is no paradise. But in this respect it is lightyears ahead.)

Edited by quoththeraven

• 8 months later...

Inside of the NYC limits, I have only opened the Uber app twice. The first time was a disaster as the neither of the drivers showed up and I ended up finding a cab on 8th near Penn station (usually impossible). The other was late at night in Brooklyn when I needed to get to Atlantic Terminal quickly. There is literally no point is getting an Uber in NYC 95% of the time.