St. Louis/Kansas City

nate_sf
This topic is 3198 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm attending a conference coming up in St. Louis and wanted any suggestions of things (or guys) to do and see on my time off. I was also considering arriving early to take a side trip to Kansas City since I haven't been to either place before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, or if there are any locals who'd like to get together for a drink or a meal please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

There are some nice gay bars in STL, but don't know much about Kansas City except for their spectacular Symphony Hall with a magnificent Casavant Pipe Organ. Worth looking at even if there is no concert. It is equal or superior to Symphony Hall in SF, to which I have gone many times and heard that great organ too. Check out "Gay Cities" for both places. If you are interested in history, the Truman Library is also worth a visit. When in St Louis, be sure to go to the Arch, and even if you don't ride to the top, be sure to see the movie on how it was built and the other movie in the museum below on the westward expansion of the US from St Louis. There is also a pretty decent bathhouse in STL, if you need a steam bath !! :-)

Enjoy your time there, and wish I were there to join you for a drink and dinner.

DD

There's an area in KC called Crown Center. It's been years since I was there. But I remember a lot of statues in the street. There is also some type of war memorial tower. I remember going to the top for a view of the surrounding countryside.

KC is also well-known for steak and BBQ. It won't be as good as Texas BBQ- but it's still BBQ.

Gman

My Bad, Nate!! Truhart1 was kind enough to correct my sketchy memories of where things in KC were.

According to him-whom I would believe --

The statues in the street are actually on the Plaza (a Seville-like shopping area founded in 1926-the first outdoor shopping center in the US!) which is about 50 blocks South of Crown Center (an indoor shopping area attached to two hotels, BTW) The World War I memorial you reference is in the Crown Center/Union Station area.

KC steak! YES!

Gman

• 3 weeks later...
There are some nice gay bars in STL, but don't know much about Kansas City except for their spectacular Symphony Hall with a magnificent Casavant Pipe Organ. Worth looking at even if there is no concert. It is equal or superior to Symphony Hall in SF, to which I have gone many times and heard that great organ too. /QUOTE]

Personally, I think the size of the organ is everything. :rolleyes:

Guest countryboywny

Hey Nate!

LaCledes (sp?) Landing is a tourist type area in St. Louis, near the arch. While it's very touristy.. there are some nice restaurants and fun bars there. The river boats are nearby if you want to gamble.. always a great place to people watch.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't forget a trip across the river to Boxers n Briefs in Centerville, about 15 mins east of downtown.

pdxleo, can you give me any tips about Boxers n Briefs? What can I expect? What kind of guys? What kind of action? If I can make it, it would be on Tuesday night. Their website had gone dark and I was worried that they had closed.

Sorry- they are only Wed thru Sun if I remember right, but you can call 'em at 618-332-6141 to confirm hours. VERY interactive, the lap dance rooms have limits, but the VIP deluxe room is anything goes. Cute twinks most, but a bit of everything eventually shows up.

My Bad, Nate!! Truhart1 was kind enough to correct my sketchy memories of where things in KC were.

According to him-whom I would believe --

The statues in the street are actually on the Plaza (a Seville-like shopping area founded in 1926-the first outdoor shopping center in the US!) which is about 50 blocks South of Crown Center (an indoor shopping area attached to two hotels, BTW) The World War I memorial you reference is in the Crown Center/Union Station area.

KC steak! YES!

Gman

it's called country club plaza

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all, thanks for all the fantastic suggestions and recommendations. Sorry for not reporting back.

St. Louis was a great time. The hotel I was at for the conference was close to Laclede's Landing so I got to check that out. Touristy sure, but had some fun places and some great food. And the arch is phenomenal… I’d seen photos of it but it is so massive and looms over everything, even from miles away. Sadly I didn’t make it to extracurricular activities such as Boxers & Briefs, but went to some local places downtown that were fun. I’d love to come back another time when I’m not focused on work functions, cuz you know I love the strippers!

Next came the change of plans that unfortunately meant not making it to Kansas City, but instead took me to Tennessee for the first time. A friend in Chattanooga suggested a visit, so we packed up the car and headed there via Nashville.

Nashville, holy cow! That is a seriously fun place, made all the more fun by a host of suggestions by Chris E who knows the place backwards and forwards. Beautiful parks, great buildings, fantastic food, Broadway, and hunky men. There’s a lot to like.

Chattanooga also turned out to be really enjoyable, not least because I was visiting a friend but because the town and landscape are so scenic. It was too hot to hike but people said there is good hiking there, and people are very outdoor oriented as well I’m told. Great food and booze so I’m happy.

So Kansas City will need to wait I’m afraid, but I appreciate the suggestions offered here. I’ve long wanted to visit Country Club Plaza, not to mention trying out the famous barbeque. Hopefully another time soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Nate,

Glad you had a great time in STL, there are some fun gay bars there, and I regret that I did not mention them. You could have easily have found someone to visit your hotel room or you would have been invited to their place... :) The same is probably true for KC, as Midwesterners are very friendly and hospitable !!!

Boxers and Briefs can be hit or miss, but since there are so few options in the area, it is certainly worth a visit, particularly on the weekend.

DD

Archived