Poll: Nearly 6 in 10 Americans support marriage equality

Gar1eth
This topic is 3333 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If this topic should be in the Politics Section, I apologize.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/03/poll-nearly-6-in-10-americans-support-marriage-equality/

One thing about the article here. It mentions that interracial marriage is almost universally accepted. I saw a report on this same poll in Gay Star News. They were more specific and stated that acceptance of interracial marriage was 87%.

Gman

I think same-sex marriage in all 50 states is inevitable. Of course, lingering resentments could last decades in the Deep South and Utah, etc., but I don't think there's any rolling back this tide. The big question is will it be months or years still?

That's like the line in Phantom Of The Opera by Mme Giry, "Monsieur, believe me-there is no way of turning the tide."

The next question is how many states will legislate discriminatory laws to enable people serving the public to legally be able to refuse service. Of course how many states will try to pass laws penalizing state officials who do grant same sex marriage licenses--although I wouldn't expect those laws to stand up in Federal Court if they have to be appealed beyond state level courts.

And then of course there is the law that has passed the Oklahoma House shifting dispensation of marriage licenses to clerics rather than the state. I actually don't mind this law so much. I mean I think it's stupid. And it will cause a lot of headache for the state of Oklahoma to register marriages. But since we would only be getting married by a clergy person who is 'pro' us, there wouldn't be any problem with obtaining a license from them.

Of course once it is legal for us to marry anywhere, anytime there is a war, natural disaster, economic downturn, or something similar, all the fundamentalists will be blaming us- of course they do that now. So there won't be any difference.

Gman

Archived