Staybridge Suites NYC

swallows22
This topic is 3374 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The rooms are perfectly fine, but the location is a bit off. It's right off Time Square, but tucked behind the ass end of the Port Authority Building, so a kind of blah block to walk down. And for some unknown reason, both elevators seem always to return to the 33rd floor, so when you come into the lobby, you have to wait some time for the elevator to come down, and it's usually quite packed. At least some of the rooms have kitchenettes.

Kevin Slater

Thanks, Kevin. Kitchenettes are not my thing.

What would you recommend for a "70 year old waif"? :-]

$300-$400 OK. Probably my last go round in the big city. If you can suggest something "absolutely fabulous" could push $500.

I have IMG platinum for some reason, if that helps.

Thanks and cheers!

If you haven't been to NYC in years, I would consider staying around the Highline - NYC's great raised linear park, built on an old raised track on the west side. Check out the Meatpacking district hotels like the Standard. I stayed at the Gansevoort recently and liked it also.

There's also the gay-targeted Dream hotel west of Times Square.

And if you want an ultra-fabulous place near the Highline, there's the Soho House hotel and ritzy member-only club. (I just took a look. Rates vary between $400 and $600something depending on the day.) I absolutely need to see that pool soon.

for the UWS, I always prefer / stay at NYLO Hotel ( previously "On The Ave")

'On the Ave'/NYLO is a very decent New York City hotel and one of the very few hotels in the U.S. with "European" showers :-)

The only thing would be the location: it's a bit far off the Theater district.

The Gansevoort (both the NYC and the Miami properties) are very good choices, as is the Maritime and the Kimton's 'Ink 48' in Hells' Kitchen.

I always like to patronize the Kimpton hotels ... and they have several in NYC which, right now, are offering some special rates below $200 for certain dates (At least for members of their "frequent sleeper" club.) The Kimptons are always interesting boutique hotels. No two are alike.

If you happen to be driving a hybrid car, some of the NYC Kimptons offer substantial parking discounts. And the entire chain is not only gay friendly, but very gay-supportive.

If you are coming in by train to Penn Station, the Eventi (my favorite) is just a short walk away; if coming into Grand Central, 70 Park is just a couple of blocks south on (you guessed it, Park Ave).

Have fun!

<<<'On the Ave'/NYLO is a very decent New York City hotel and one of the very few hotels in the U.S. with "European" showers :-)

The only thing would be the location: it's a bit far off the Theater district.>>>

Yes, Steven - as I said, it's a good choice when looking to stay on the UWS....most of my biz trips into NYC find me located at the Tribeca Grand Hotel - the neighborhood where my biz interests are most often focused...the UWS is only once or twice a year for me.....I stay in neighborhoods for my own convenience on each individual biz trip.....On a suggestion for the UWS a few years ago, once I booked into the Empire Hotel - a mistake.....(UWS - some folks also like the Beacon - I've never tried)

Archived