Help! How do I….?

Funguy
This topic is 3484 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Command + Shift + 4

When you press those three keys together, your cursor will turn into a crosshair. Make a box around whatever you want to capture. With whatever you've selected, your computer will save the contents in a file that is created on your desktop. You can then attach that to an email, etc.

If you want to capture it to the clipboard (if you want to paste it into a photo editor, or an iMessage, etc) you can use Command + Control + Shift + 4 and instead of saving it as a file on the desktop, it will put the contents into your clip board.

More info on different variations you can do can be found at:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Hope that helps!

Command + Shift + 4

When you press those three keys together, your cursor will turn into a crosshair. Make a box around whatever you want to capture. With whatever you've selected, your computer will save the contents in a file that is created on your desktop. You can then attach that to an email, etc.

If you want to capture it to the clipboard (if you want to paste it into a photo editor, or an iMessage, etc) you can use Command + Control + Shift + 4 and instead of saving it as a file on the desktop, it will put the contents into your clip board.

More info on different variations you can do can be found at:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Hope that helps!

Nothing short of being a gentleman and a scholar!

And to do the whole screen (instead of a rectangle) it's Cmd-Shift-3.

The Grab tool is great, too. I keep it in the dock. Users of Windows 7 and later can use the Snipping Tool which is very similar.

Cmd + Shift + 4 + Spacebar creates an automatic selection of an app window if you want a grab of—say, a Word doc—and nothing else.

The official instructions from Microsoft are to:

• Press PrtScn.
  • Open Paint by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Paint.
  • In Paint, on the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click Paste.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/take-screen-capture-print-screen#take-screen-capture-print-screen=windows-8

To capture just a single window, you can use Alt + PrtScn.

There is another tool that you can use as well known as Snipping Tool. Instructions on how to use it can be found at:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-8

I would imagine there are some other 3rd party tools as well similar to how there are on a Mac.

Hope that helps! :)

Note that IF your email program accepts embedded graphics you can skip the Paint step and paste the captured image directly into an email message.

You can also paste it into a Word document if finding Paint is too much for ya.

I do recommend SnagIt. It's one of the few utilities I used in Windows 3.x that I still use today. But it's not just a screen capture tool. It's also an outrageously good image manipulation tool for the kinds of manipulations people typically do with screen shots (blurring data, annotations, cropping, etc.)

Thanks, guys. I didn't even know I had a PrtScn button. It took me awhile to find it.

I probably do not have enough use for screenshots to make SnagIt worthwhile from the point of view of both cost and usage. I'm good with software I use frequently. I get frustrated with software that I don't use frequently.

I'll try doing a screenshot as soon as I can and get back to you if I run into problems.

Archived