Hotel recommendations for DC Daddy's Luncheon

purplekow
This topic is 3522 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am planning on going to the Washington DC get together and I would like some advice on hotels. I was considering on of the Kimpton hotels. I have stayed at Palomar but was considering Rouge or one of the others near Dupont Circle. I think the IML hotel is a bit of a distance but that is not the priority. If anyone else would like to share where they are staying, that would be great.

I just booked the MAL host hotel but I did take a look at hotels in Dupont and they are about 120 a night on travelocity. I found a few deals for 4 star hotels for about 90 a night in Dupont/Embassy row as well. Personally I would stay near the host hotel for MAL just to drool over the boys

The Kimptons are mostly old apartment buildings (ditto the Rhode Island Ave Doubletree) and the layouts can be odd. Most of these places were previously 1940s/50s buildings constructed as efficiencies and studios, although the Doubletree's nicer rooms were probably large 1 bedrooms or small 2 bedrooms. The Helix (a Kimpton) is particularly odd. Spaces that probably used to be kitchens are redone as the sleeping areas--nook-like--some people like this, others don't. Kimpton owns the George which is near the MAL hotel and gets OK reviews from people who've stayed there. The Madera is in a boring neighborhood that is short on good well priced restaurants (most places around there do a lunch trade and some close on weekends).

The host hotel is in a boring part of DC--close to Union Station (which makes Metro convenient and provides Circulator access to Georgetown), but few restaurants nearby. It's also a second rate Hyatt (and I'm no far of Hyatts)---I've been to a lot of meetings there and seen the guestrooms. If you're planning to spend much time away from MAL, then I'd stay elsewhere.

I've always stayed at Kimpton properties on business travel to DC. Currently at the Madera on New Hampshire. Have had great success asking for "best rate" and am currently enjoying "Inlaw and Outlaw rates" at $109 per night. Upon arrival I received a $10 bar wine voucher and $25 of dinner at their restaurant! Have also stayed at Rouge, Helix and Donovan House, all equally quirky and excellent!

Archived