Federal judge to strip club owner: Pay your dancers

BOZO T CLOWN
This topic is 3477 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Very interesting. Fortunately I doubt many dancers read the newspaper. :)

However, if this was to catch on, I'd imagine it would be more along the lines of a minimum wage a restaurant server might make. The upside if this actually was to happen is clubs would be far more selective in who they hire. Downside is there were be far fewer dancers - and not sure I trust the club owners to accurately determine what their clients want... look how many gripes we all have about the various places already.

I don't see what's happening in this case as something that would be in acted widespread across the industry. I think it is specific to clubs were indeed some of these female dancers are pulling down six figures. We are a long ways from this become standard practice in our backyards I would think. How does a dancer claim she wants to be paid fair wages when I doubt that she is claiming accurately her real take home pay to the IRS, or what real wages she is taking in to the clubs owner. All very interesting, but I don't see this going anywhere. IMHO anyway.

One wonders how the strip club scene will be impacted if club owners are forced to treat their dancers as employees, required to be paid at least the minimum wage...

http://nypost.com/2014/11/14/judge-makes-it-rain-for-strippers-with-10-8m-award-in-ricks-cabaret-wage-suit/

Bozo

I think most dancers are interested in that kind of job because of the tax free cash they could make and remaining anonymous. Can you imagine applying for a job and working at a strip club appearing in your records?

The radio show I listen to in the morning had an interesting discussion about this today. They talked to a couple of former strippers on the phone who had a lot to say about how the system typically works. Dancers have to pay to work and get fined for all sorts of petty little things (and some not so petty).

I've often wondered how some guys in the male strip clubs I have been to survive as they seem to rarely do any VIP dances or make any tips, at least when I have seen them. If they have to pay to work it seems like it just doesn't make any sense. So I guess there must be something else going on that perhaps I don't know about. It is a fascinating world to me.

Not every club makes the dancers pay to dance. In fact, in many of the bars where the dancers do not do lap dances and are only working for tips, the dancers are typically paid to come in and dance. So, even if they get no tip money, their being paid better per hour than doing a "normal" hourly wage job. So for many of them, any tip is just icing on the cake!

At Secrets in DC the dancers are paid a wage though I don't know how much. They also don't do lap dances, just dance naked and get tips.

Went to Secrets Saturday night and talked to dancer Al. Dancers get $50 per night and keep their tips. He lives in philly and comes down twice a month and stays with a friend or sometimes just commutes. That's about 2.5 hrs each way. He says it's worth it!

Archived