Another reason to love san francisco

Michael Vincenzo
This topic is 3483 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Good news for animals!

This past week India closed the loophole in their law banning the import of cosmetics tested on animals, adding further strength to their law (passed earlier this year) that banned the testing of cosmetics on animals in the country. India now joins Israel and the entire European Union, which have already banned the sale and marketing of animal-tested cosmetics. The United States does not legally require cosmetics to be tested on animals, but companies still choose to do so. As the world evolves, and refuses to accept the import of animal tested cosmetics, the United States will also evolve, but only because it will impact bottom lines. Unilever, L’Oréal, and Procter & Gamble, are the most outspoken opponents to this progressive legislation. There are non-animal tests that are cheaper, faster, and more reliable than animal tests. The lobbyist for animal breeding facilities, animal researchers, and companies that produce toxic chemicals will bend over backwards to keep you uninformed.

This past week the U.S. Supreme Court rejected a challenge to California's historic foie gras ban! That means no foie gras can be produced, sold, or imported into the State of California. In July, the entire country of India became the first country to ban the production or import of foie gras. To create foie gras, several pounds of mush are pumped into the stomachs of ducks or geese two or three times a day through a pipe that’s rammed down their throats, causing the birds’ livers to swell to up to 10 times their normal size. The birds become so ill that many cannot walk or even lift their heads.

Read more: http://www.peta.org/blog/update-california-foie-gras-ban-upheld/#ixzz3HBaLj7rn

And the good news for animals gets even better! I had no idea that there was a California bill being studied that, if passed, would help end the suffering at SeaWorld San Diego and other California abusement parks and animal prisons. As if there wasn't enough to love about wonderful San Francisco and the State of California!

History was made this week when the San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed a resolution stating that cetaceans—meaning whales, dolphins, and porpoises—have the right to be free rather than being held captive.

After recognizing that these marine animals endure psychological distress and die far short of their natural life spans, the board passed the landmark measure, which states that the animals deserve “to be free of captivity, and to remain unrestricted in their natural environment.”

San Francisco’s progressive decision comes on the heels of a California bill—the Orca Welfare and Safety Act (A.B. 2140)—that was introduced this year to prohibit the display of captive orcas in the state and retire those currently wasting away in SeaWorld’s cramped tanks to a coastal sanctuary. That bill is currently being studied.

Read more: http://www.peta.org/blog/will-never-seaworld-san-francisco/#ixzz3HBWt0C9P

What a stellar week for animals and a sure sign that our own species is evolving!

It would be nice to see you visit here more often. You're pretty close by in Seattle.

Hi Rudynate! I have been wanting to visit SF since moving to Seattle. I did have one trip planned there, but had to cancel for some reason (don't remember why). Although I will not be visiting SF between now and the end of the year, I will be visiting in both January and February early next year. I will be in SF from 1/6-1/10 and again from 2/19-2/23. If you email me at MichaelVincenzo@gmail.com, I'll be sure to give you a heads up closer to the dates of my visit.

Hi Rudynate! I have been wanting to visit SF since moving to Seattle. I did have one trip planned there, but had to cancel for some reason (don't remember why). Although I will not be visiting SF between now and the end of the year, I will be visiting in both January and February early next year. I will be in SF from 1/6-1/10 and again from 2/19-2/23. If you email me at MichaelVincenzo@gmail.com, I'll be sure to give you a heads up closer to the dates of my visit.

I'll do that.

Archived