Naught Jewish Boys Calendar

Keenan
This topic is 3560 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Call me an old fogey, but they shouldn't be posing for pictures with religious paraphernalia like tefillin. It brings home to me when the Catholics' were protesting Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' Video. I'm not sure I watched the video much or what I though about the protest at the time. But I'm older. Not any wiser. But it's what I feel.

Gman

Call me an old fogey,

OK, you're an old fogey. (Hey, you asked! :D)

I don't know about being an old fogey. Were the extremists who stormed the US Embassy in Benghazi over religious symbolism in a video that was not produced by the government any different than your current position, though?

Just food for thought.

I'd say that Orthodox Judaism is slightly "friendlier" to the GLBT movement than fundamentalist Christianity is. There are a few Orthodox Jewish rabbis who don't actively oppose homosexuality among Orthodox men (as long as they stick to oral sex, which many gay Orthodox men do anyway). Using tefillin in the shots is the kind of thing that might knock these rabbis back to the other side.

Now, as a non-Orthodox Jew, you might say "Who needs friends like that?" But for boys and young men growing up in a fairly closed environment like that, having those few on their side makes a big difference.

OK, you're an old fogey. (Hey, you asked! :D)

I don't know about being an old fogey. Were the extremists who stormed the US Embassy in Benghazi over religious symbolism in a video that was not produced by the government any different than your current position, though?

Just food for thought.

Wasn't it decided that the Benghazi attack was conducted by terrorists and had nothing to do with a video?

As for the differences between my position on using tefillin or other Jewish religious symbols in a calendar like that and those of many in the Muslim world regarding what they consider sacrilegious images of the Prophet Muhammad, my plans only include posting in this Forum as opposed to organizing/being part of a dangerous mob protest, attacking either specific 'westerners' behind such 'sacrilege'/westerners in general, attacking military posts/embassies, and/or sending death threats.

Gman

Archived