Problem Editing Posts etc.

whipped guy
This topic is 3551 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Since the return of the Message-Forum I have had a problem if I need to edit a post. When I click on edit I often get a totally blank page.

In addition, at times if I want to see a preview of a posting I also get a blank page...

In both cases, I am told that my message does not have enough characters to be submitted for posting if I try to do so. Consequently, I then push the back button and all appears, but editing to correct for errors can't be accomplished... Now this does not happen every time... but still most of the time...

Incidentally, the same problem occurs not only on my computer, but on my iPhone and iPad as well. Not the end of the world, but a minor aggravation... and fodder for those who delight in pointing out speling errors etc. :) It would be informative to know if others are having similar issues.

Interestingly it did not occur, with this particular posting when I just did my preview, and I even did an edit... as I said it does not happen every time...

Thanks Mr. Rich. I usually do that on a regular basis anyway, but still seemed to be having a problem. However, I'll give it a try and see what happens. Incidentally I did not notice the thread that you posted so I guess that I'm not alone. Though interestingly I was not having a problem back then... only since the site was back up and running.

Such are the mysteries!!!

PS: Just did an exit and all was well... In any event, we shall see what the future has in store!

It seems to be working for me.

This is where we have to start asking what browser/OS the problem show up on.

This may be a service release issue. I know that the vBulletin installation did not go smoothly. (And that its days are numbered here.)

But to narrow it down, where are y'all seeing this problem?

This is where we have to start asking what browser/OS the problem show up on.

I use Safari browser and a MAC OS X version 10.6.8

If the post is short, there's no problem. If I copy and paste an article and hit the edit button, the whole text disappears from the box (becomes blank) and there's nothing to edit.

If the post is short, there's no problem. If I copy and paste an article and hit the edit button, the whole text disappears from the box (becomes blank) and there's nothing to edit.

This could be more important than versions. (I tested from Safari and OSX as well.) I vaguely remember needing to mess with length limits the last time we installed this piece of .... um .... work.

I vaguely remember needing to mess with length limits the last time we installed this piece of .... um .... work.

I believe the length limit is a different matter. When the post is too long, I get an error message:

Errors

The following errors occurred with your submission

The text that you have entered is too long (xxxxx characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long.

Same problem. Mac OS X 10.8.5, Safari 6.1.

Happens with short posts too (fewer than a hundred words).

PS: No problem editing this post, however. Maybe it's been fixed since yesterday? For what it's worth, the post that gave me problems yesterday was a "Reply With Quote" post, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Same problem. Mac OS X 10.8.5, Safari 6.1.

Happens with short posts too (fewer than a hundred words).

PS: No problem editing this post, however. Maybe it's been fixed since yesterday? For what it's worth, the post that gave me problems yesterday was a "Reply With Quote" post, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Testing the "Reply With Quote" feature.

Nope. No problems with this one either. Seems to be working fine.

Also, I don't recall noticing the "Auto-Saved" message showing up yesterday when I was having problems. Can't swear that it didn't, but it's definitely active today. So maybe that is/was a factor too.

Thanks for the speedy fix! http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.png

Very erratic on my end... at times clearing cookies solves the issue... at other times not... Using IE on my computer and Safari on my iPhone and iPad... Incidentally the problem occurs not only in submitting posts, but sending PM's as well...

vBulletin's incompatibility with iPhone/iPad is well known.

• 2 weeks later...
Testing the "Reply With Quote" feature.

Nope. No problems with this one either. Seems to be working fine.

Also, I don't recall noticing the "Auto-Saved" message showing up yesterday when I was having problems. Can't swear that it didn't, but it's definitely active today. So maybe that is/was a factor too.

Thanks for the speedy fix! http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.png

I'm having trouble editing on my iPhone again. It was fine on Wednesday- now early Thursday morning- I'm getting the blank box. I tried using Safari and Chrome-same result.

Gman

Archived