Female Reporters in the Male Locker Room

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 3617 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was at my go-to bar/restaurant in Houston this afternoon and they always had lots of TV screens going. Today, one of the ESPN channels had a piece on female sports reporters working the male locker-rooms (NFL, MLB, NHL). I was wondering if male reporters are allowed in female locker-rooms as a matter of course in the USA. Anyone know? Also, what are the rules in other countries? Just curious.

I was at my go-to bar/restaurant in Houston this afternoon and they always had lots of TV screens going. Today, one of the ESPN channels had a piece on female sports reporters working the male locker-rooms (NFL, MLB, NHL). I was wondering if male reporters are allowed in female locker-rooms as a matter of course in the USA. Anyone know? Also, what are the rules in other countries? Just curious.

ALL professional sports leagues and associations in the U.S., regardless of the gender of the participants, have equal access policies for all members of the press. This is also true of international associations (e.g, the PGA) wherever in the world they compete.

Steve

ALL professional sports leagues and associations in the U.S., regardless of the gender of the participants, have equal access policies for all members of the press. This is also true of international associations (e.g, the PGA) wherever in the world they compete.

Steve

Thanks for your response Steve. Is locker-room access granted to the press for female sports teams given at the same time as for the equivalent male teams? For instance, some locker-room interviews with male sports figures occur during the showering and clothes changing activities which results in the press sometimes viewing totally/semi naked men. Do the male/female press members also see totally/semi naked women when they are in the female locker-room? I'm trying to ascertain if there is a double standard which allows female atheletes more lock-room privacy than male atheletes receive.

I remember back when there was the controversy about a male athlete waving his cock in a female reporter's face in the locker room sometime in the early 90's. Someone mentioned that the coverage with the female athletes was much tamer; they stayed dressed, they talked calmly to all the reporters, much less horseplay. I assume they showered & changed after the reporters left.

Take this all with a grain of salt, any sports perspective I offer is at best, secondhand. :)

I remember back when there was the controversy about a male athlete waving his cock in a female reporter's face in the locker room sometime in the early 90's. Someone mentioned that the coverage with the female athletes was much tamer; they stayed dressed, they talked calmly to all the reporters, much less horseplay. I assume they showered & changed after the reporters left.

Take this all with a grain of salt, any sports perspective I offer is at best, secondhand. :)

Thanks poolboy! Like you, I don't follow sports enough to really know. However, I have a suspicion there is a double-standard on this issue with females, again, getting more leeway than males. Anyone else got the facts on this topic?

There is definitely a double standard... female reporters seem to gravitate to the shower/locker rooms where the athletes are minimally dressed. You only have to watch a lot of sport's casts to see the dramatic difference. I have never seen an interview in a woman's locker room by a male sports caster where there was any nudity, which in itself is interesting as in many TV shows and movies, there is little hesitancy to show female breasts and other parts of their anatomy, but almost never do you see male genitals. You might see a back side once inawhile, but never a front view. A couple of years ago some of the male athletes complained about allowing female reporters into their "private" dressing areas, but the team owners and leagues would not back down in the face of "equal access" for male and female reporters. It is somewhat different with most hockey teams, who have definitely created separate areas for interviews and most teams do not permit any sports casters, and their video crews, male or female into the "private" areas where the showers are located.

There is definitely a double standard... female reporters seem to gravitate to the shower/locker rooms where the athletes are minimally dressed. You only have to watch a lot of sport's casts to see the dramatic difference.

I get your point, but I'm sure guys prepare themselves and enjoy receiving female reporters wearing as little as possible on purpose.

(Btw I'll start a thread about the locker room soon.)

http://jchambersvoice.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/erin-andrews-gq-picture.jpg

Archived