Tony Awards Sunday night

foxy
This topic is 3648 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the Tony goes to....

In today's NY Post the following predictions were made for Tony winners. Not sure I would agree with them but here are their picks:

They say only a fool is sure.

Well, here’s one fool’s take-it-to-the-bank predictions for Sunday’s Tony Awards.

Best Play: It’s a tight race between “Act One,” the Moss Hart bio, and “All the Way,” the LBJ bio. But Hart’s book has pride of place on most voters’ shelves, so that should tip it to “Act One.”

Best Musical: I’ve been predicting “Beautiful,” the Carole King musical, but there’s support for “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder” because it’s not a jukebox musical. I’ll stick with “Beautiful.” It’s got the road vote — and the female vote.

Best Book of a Musical: Doug McGrath’s book for “Beautiful” is underrated, but the sentiment here is for “Gentleman’s Guide.”

Leading Actor in a Play: It’s Bryan Cranston all the way, as LBJ.

Leading Actress in a Play: The favorite is Audra McDonald as Billie Holiday (“Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill”). But some think she has enough Tonys (five), so there could be an upset. If Tyne Daly wins (for “Mothers and Sons”), you read it here first.

Leading Actor in a Musical: Everybody loves Neil Patrick Harris in “Hedwig.”

Leading Actress in a Musical: Jessie Mueller, touching and understated in “Beautiful.”

Featured Actor in a Play: Reed Birney is terrifying as a cross-dressing homophobe in “Casa Valentina.”

Featured Actress in a Play: Mare Winningham exudes warmth and compassion as the wife of a cross-dresser in “Casa Valentina.”

Featured Actor in a Musical: Once they let James Monroe Iglehart out of that lamp in “Aladdin,” nobody else stood a chance.

Featured Actress in a Musical: Tough category, but I think Linda Emond will win for her dignified Fräulein Schneider in “Cabaret.”

Best Revival of a Play: Everybody likes “A Raisin in the Sun,” but with weekly grosses of $1 million, it hardly needs a Tony. Voters remember with affection “Twelfth Night.”

Best Revival of a Musical: The flashy “Hedwig and the Angry Inch,” which incidentally has the best score of the season.

For once I agree with Miniver, I am much more interested in Djokovic vs. Nadal at the French Open in Paris on Sunday as well.

However, I disagree that the nominees are boring or predictable and do not thinking deserving people were left off. That's just typical Miniver bluster.

I am just a bigger tennis fan than a theater fan at this point in my life.

Excited for tonight...please forgive another long musing post...

I enjoy tennis, but will be watching the Tonys at the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village, with a lot (too many) of people in a medium-sized room with a bad TV screen. But the joy of it for me is the surround-sound of love for theater. Off-Broadway folk sing during the commercials, and a sensational drag-queen and a cabaret comic (who might as well be a drag queen) are the emcees. There's lots of chatter, and lots of talking back at the screen, but it's exciting and present...just what I love about being in a darkened (quiet) theater on any given night.

As for the awards...

Best Play: I agree the race is tight between "Act One", and “All the Way,” But I think the die-hard "theater" folk are going to split between Act One and Harvey Fierstein's "Casa Valentina", and "All the Way" will win. I'd be okay with any of the three winning.

Best Musical: I'm sad that Beautiful will win this award, I think primarily because the voting block of out of town producers recognize it's touring potential. But wouldn't a show that features a score like this appeal to the regional audiences with just a sound bite? Does it NEED the moniker "Winner of Best Musical"? I don't think so!

Why not give this honor to another show which needs those words over the top of the ad? Then you have two shows from this season with an easy promotional hook. And since I am wishing I might just as well say that rather than “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder”, I wish "Bridges of Madison County" would win...but since it's not nominated, oh well. Of the nominees, I applaud Gentleman's Guide...for being the only original musical.

Best Book of a Musical: “Gentleman’s Guide” should win this. The other nominated books are not nearly as strong.

Best Score of a Musical: I really hope that Jason Robert Brown's Bridges of Madison County gets this as a consolation prize for it not being nominated for Best Musical. (Not much consolation for the investors who lost big bucks though. LOL) Brown will probably also take the award for Orchestration.

Leading Actor in a Play: I concur: It’s Bryan Cranston all the way, as LBJ. But this category is so loaded with amazing performances (and so many amazing performances didn't fit onto the roster of nominees), that I think Mr. Cranston is just winning because of his TV-Q.

Leading Actress in a Play: Audra is amazing. She shouldn't be in this category. She will win. She shouldn't be in this category. Ms. Jones, Ms. Jackson, Ms. Daly and Ms. Parsons are all giving award-worthy performances (some in lesser vehicles.) But they will lose to a stunning performance that shouldn't be nominated in this category.

Leading Actor in a Musical: NPH. Deserving. Adored. Good for the theater community in general.

Leading Actress in a Musical: I enjoyed Jessie Mueller in Beautiful. She will be part of the Beautiful juggernaut. I wish Kelli O'Hara would win, I feel she gave a much more complex performance. Listening to the two cast albums there's no question to me who the winner is. But too many Tony voters didn't get to see O'Hara. (And technically aren't supposed to vote in that category, but...)

Featured Actor in a Play: I would love to see Reed Birney win, and he might. He's got a long history of strong performances, this one being particularly terrific. And this allows voters to give Harvey Fierstein's show some love. I think the three nominees from Twelfth Night will split their votes, (and if the out-of-town voters missed Bridges of Madison County, I bet they missed the Shakespeares as well.) Brian J. Smith gave a wonderful and individual turn as the "Gentleman Caller" in Glass Menagerie but Birney has the history, and the chilling performance to push him ahead. (I hope.)

Featured Actress in a Play: Similar to above, I think the two ladies from Raisin to knock each other out. I think it's time for Celia Keenan-Bolger to win. Her Laura in Glass Menagerie was luminous.

Featured Actor in a Musical: I agree with Michael Riedel on this: "Once they let James Monroe Iglehart out of that lamp in “Aladdin,” nobody else stood a chance." However, if there's going to be an upset, I think it will be Danny Burstein in Cabaret. He is beloved, consistently gives stellar performances, and brings Herr Schulz to tragically naive fruition.

Featured Actress in a Musical: Another category that could truly go any way, but while there are shows that voters missed, no one was missing Hedwig...and Lena Hall should benefit from this.

Best Revival of a Play: Shocked that many folks are predicting Twelfth Night will win this, it's been closed for four months, and absolutely deserves it.... Never occurred to me that it might win. I'd be very happy with this. Would also love if Glass Menagerie won.

Best Revival of a Musical: Hedwig. Easy.

I think the Director Awards will go with the winners of Best Play and Best Musical: Tim Carroll (Twelfth Night) and Michael Mayer (Hedwig).

Choreography is a toss-up for me between Casey Nicholaw for Aladdin and Warren Carlyle for After Midnight. Having seen Midnight three times, once with each of it's featured singers, (and with plans to see it again with Aretha Franklin and Gladys Knight) I am going to go with Mr. Carlyle.

Scenic Design: For a play, I suspect it will go to Beowulf Borritt for Act One but only because Tony voters never get seated on the sides...from where you couldn't see anything that was happening on the second level. I would have voted Es Devlin for Machinal. For a Musical, this surely will go to Christopher Barreca for Rocky, which literally transforms the theater mid-show nightly.

Costume Design: For a play, Twelfth Night's Jenny Tiramani should bring home the award. For a musical, in my initial review of Bullets Over Broadway I said that William Ivey Long would win a Tony for this show. I still think/hope he will, but only because Gregg Barnes wasn't nominated for Aladdin, (to my mind the most egregiously overlooked individual this season.) I won't be shocked if Hedwig gets this though.

And just looking at the clock...I have to dash...no time for Lights or Sound. Sorry.

ENJOY THE EVENING.

Other than NPH, this is about as dull a dishwater Tonys as I can recall. And they have about as much relevance to the general theater-going public as mud wrestling. Sadly, the Tonys and what they nominated/represent have decided that they are only going to appeal to hardcore industry professionals (and many of them, like me, are bored to death) and not the regular audience. They better start waking up or they will go the way of the Daytime Emmys -- relegated to online streaming ...

Sad to say, but I agree: This year's Tony telecast was lack-luster, at best. I'm glad that Neil Patrick Harris won for all of his hard work. Though, it's not like the Gays weren't well represented. This is our night to publicly shine. Overall, it was just boring!

I did get in a few hundred games of solitaire, though...

I watched the TONY AWARDS on and off for about 90 minutes (the last 90).

Agree with those above who were somewhat bored (I too played a lot of Spider Solitaire while watching).

I found it dull to tears in some sections -- and why drag out "scenes" from shows that have yet to open? That showed there was little worth-while.

I agree that Neil Patrick Harris deserved his award, but the scene from "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" did nothing for me... except make sure I never pay out the $$ for a ticket. Same for most of the musicals that were nominated, though I would pay to hear (again) the music of Carole King any day.

As for drama, it seems they had better quality productions going on, but again, few "new" plays.

I know it is a rah rah night for individual shows but dragging anyone and everyone that had anything to do for a production up on stage for the BIG awards wastes a LOT of time and energy. The last speech by the producers of "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder" was packed with so much drivel I finally turned off the sound.

My one major plus was of course watching Hugh Jackman sing, dance and act -- even with the full dark beard he is an amazing talent (much like NPH), and can camp it up with the best but in a more subtle and seductive way.

Hugh Jackman is very talented but that hopping around was silly and tiresome. At first I thought he was imitating the performance of Daniel Radcliff in "The Cripple of Inishmaan". I found it funny when "the wickedly talented" Idina Menzel was introduced.... Many good shows and performances were nominated this Broadway season. Now, with the Tony Awards over, it will be interesting to see which shows can survive and which ones will be extended.

Cooper, I completely agree that it will be interesting to see if things close...or extend.

I'd love Raisin to extend for a couple weeks so I could attempt to get a rear mezz seat, which were sold out by the time I got to the box office.

I thought the scene from Gentleman's Guide was a tremendous advertisement...I suspect they'll sell some tickets today. And I was very happy it won Best Musical over Beautiful...which I loved, but I will always root for original material over jukebox shows.

The jumping conceit in the opening was an odd homage to Bobby Van, (why?) I did enjoy the rest of the idea of the number showing us the stage elevator down, and moments of the backstage madness, even though it was carefully orchestrated. I also loved that Hugh called out the cameraman who had to do it with him "in high heels and backwards." That kind of detail is what elevates him for me...talented star who's also a mensch.

Was sad that they didn't televise the "Memoriam" section.

Thought Adina sang wonderfully, that the songs from Sting and Last Ship just slowed down the evening, and that I am lucky to live here and have the oppty to see so many things. (And voice my opinions on them.)

Hugh Jackman is very talented but that hopping around was silly and tiresome. At first I thought he was imitating the performance of Daniel Radcliff in "The Cripple of Inishmaan". I found it funny when "the wickedly talented" Idina Menzel was introduced.... Many good shows and performances were nominated this Broadway season. Now, with the Tony Awards over, it will be interesting to see which shows can survive and which ones will be extended.

I understand he was trying to copy Bobby Van in that famous performance in Small Town Girl. It worked there ... but from what I hear it didn't work last night at all ....

My one major plus was of course watching Hugh Jackman sing, dance and act -- even with the full dark beard he is an amazing talent (much like NPH), and can camp it up with the best but in a more subtle and seductive way.

Subtle? Hugh? (Though I'm talking about him in general, not about camping it up.) On another site, I described him last night as "the guy you wish hadn't been invited to the party..,the one who buzzes around all night trying to get attention." For me, Jackman just works too hard, and likes to show us how hard he's working too hard. A true turnoff.

Cooper, I completely agree that it will be interesting to see if things close...or extend.

I'd love Raisin to extend for a couple weeks so I could attempt to get a rear mezz seat, which were sold out by the time I got to the box office.

I thought the scene from Gentleman's Guide was a tremendous advertisement...I suspect they'll sell some tickets today. And I was very happy it won Best Musical over Beautiful...which I loved, but I will always root for original material over jukebox shows.

The jumping conceit in the opening was an odd homage to Bobby Van, (why?) I did enjoy the rest of the idea of the number showing us the stage elevator down, and moments of the backstage madness, even though it was carefully orchestrated. I also loved that Hugh called out the cameraman who had to do it with him "in high heels and backwards." That kind of detail is what elevates him for me...talented star who's also a mensch.

Was sad that they didn't televise the "Memoriam" section.

Thought Adina sang wonderfully, that the songs from Sting and Last Ship just slowed down the evening, and that I am lucky to live here and have the oppty to see so many things. (And voice my opinions on them.)

The worst Tony show ever. Boring. Stupid. Humorless. Jackman just tried way too hard and most of it fell flat. The hopping sequence at the beginning was beyond terrible. I'll probably roast in hell for this but Audra MacDonald did not deserve a 6th Tony. Two words: Cherry Jones. WTF did they bring on LLCoolJ to rap a number from "The Music Man". The Sting number was such a tuneless bore. God help him if the musical he's doing is that dull. Jennifer Hudson singing the number from the proposed musical of "Finding Neverland" was execrable. I could go on and on. Happy for Neil Patrick Harris. It was the only bright moment for me in an otherwise very dull and lifeless show. I don't know why they think we have to be "entertained". Just show us the numbers from the nominated shows, bring out the presenters, give the Award and get on with it. All that inane, manic chatter from Jackman and the self indulgent thank-you speeches suck what little life there is from the show. I hate to say it, but this year's show was as dreadful as the Oscars always are.

The three shows that interested me the most: "Hedwig and The Angry Inch, "All the Way," and "Bridges of Madison Coutry" each won more than one Tony, so I am happy. The only negative for me was Jackman; he seemed rusty and out of his element compared to the last several year with NPH.

WTF did they bring on LLCoolJ to rap a number from "The Music Man".

I have to admit, I got a kick out of that. And believe me, I love The Music Man (I was even in the Quartet once, and had the "Uneeda Biscuit" solo in that opening number). Someone else pointed out a missed opportunity, though. With the (ok, incredibly questionable) showcasing of numbers from shows-to-be, why didn't they link this to the now-in-previews Tupac musical? (I'm not saying I would have loved that - just that they missed the opportunity to make that Music Man segment truly connect to the current season.)

The Sting number was such a tuneless bore. God help him if the musical he's doing is that dull.

You can say it's boring - but it had a tune. I heard it. Musically, I had no issue with the song itself. My feeling is this - like many pop songs, it didn't seem very "actor-friendly" - it was a folky narrative, but not very theatrical in scope. I'm hoping and assuming that the song in context of the show, with a real actor singing it (sorry, Sting) and with hopefully a more vibrant musical arrangement/orchestration, will help it seem more "stageworthy." We'll see...

Just to clarify about "tuneless" - for me, the song "I Believe" from Book Of Mormon is mostly tuneless - it has the memorable hook on the phrase "I believe," but mostly the rest of the song is generic "pop chant" based solely on the chord progression - no sense of melodic progression at all. Similarly, Jason Robert Brown's "Stars And The Moon" comes off as rather "tuneless" to me - centering on the repetition of one note a little too much, and repetitive phrases in general that never build to anything. In contrast, I felt "The Last Ship" seemed like a well-crafted song. I think some of the issue may have been in Sting's mumbled, rather internal performance, which is why I'm hoping that in a stage context, this song will work better.

Jennifer Hudson singing the number from the proposed musical of "Finding Neverland" was execrable.

Agreed. It was also horribly bad timing - the number was going on at about 5 minutes to 11 - certainly not the time for a brand new ballad sung out of context by a singer who won't be playing the role anyway.

I don't know why they think we have to be "entertained". Just show us the numbers from the nominated shows, bring out the presenters, give the Award and get on with it. All that inane, manic chatter from Jackman...

On another site, we've been discussing the idea that we wish the host could be more in the "Ed Sullivan" vein - just introduce the acts and get off the stage. I really don't feel we need to have a host who has to also "entertain."

I thought the 2014 TONY AWARDS was one of the better ones, and it certainly beat THE OSCARS by a long shot! I viewed it from beginning to end, and during commercials, either put on mute or changed channels for a few minutes. Hugh Jackman was stellar; it was well-paced, and since I haven't seen any of the plays or the musicals, I could NOT judge in those categories. But after taking it all in last evening, I do plan to see at least four plays/musicals when I am in NYC in September for a few days in celebrating my birthday!!!!

The worst Tony show ever. Boring. Stupid. Humorless. Jackman just tried way too hard and most of it fell flat. The hopping sequence at the beginning was beyond terrible. I'll probably roast in hell for this but Audra MacDonald did not deserve a 6th Tony. Two words: Cherry Jones. WTF did they bring on LLCoolJ to rap a number from "The Music Man". The Sting number was such a tuneless bore. God help him if the musical he's doing is that dull. Jennifer Hudson singing the number from the proposed musical of "Finding Neverland" was execrable. I could go on and on. Happy for Neil Patrick Harris. It was the only bright moment for me in an otherwise very dull and lifeless show. I don't know why they think we have to be "entertained". Just show us the numbers from the nominated shows, bring out the presenters, give the Award and get on with it. All that inane, manic chatter from Jackman and the self indulgent thank-you speeches suck what little life there is from the show. I hate to say it, but this year's show was as dreadful as the Oscars always are.

Audra McDonald has not deserved HALF the Tony Awards she has won. Goes to show you how bad the nominees are (or how much they have a hard on for her never ending schtick) that she keeps winning even when she has no business being in that category. She reminded me about as much of Billie Holliday as Jennifer Lopez does. I would have given it to Estelle Parsons.

I do think that Hugh is trying to hard. Even the wink and nod to the gay rumors was pretty lame. I don't know what that show wants to be. Makes one long for the days of the Cohen's producing the show. Those were about theater.

I had it on my DVR and watched the whole thing in 10 minutes.

Audra McDonald has not deserved HALF the Tony Awards she has won. Goes to show you how bad the nominees are (or how much they have a hard on for her never ending schtick) that she keeps winning even when she has no business being in that category. She reminded me about as much of Billie Holliday as Jennifer Lopez does. I would have given it to Estelle Parsons.

I now have this image of Estelle Parsons playing Billie Holliday...;-)

I do think that Hugh is trying too hard. Even the wink and nod to the gay rumors was pretty lame. I don't know what that show wants to be. Makes one long for the days of the Cohens producing the show. Those were about theater.

Oh boy, do I agree. I think they've played the gay jokes into the ground and beyond, and I wish they'd stop. I'd like to think we've all matured beyond that now - from a place where sexuality needs to be a constant insinuation and dirty joke, to the more affirming maturity of hearing winners being able to think their same-sex partners as a simple matter of course, etc. Since we DO have that ability now (we certainly saw it a few times on Sunday night), let's get rid of the sophomoric "Broadway is gay, wink wink, nudge nudge" stuff and get back to actually celebrating theatre.

Subtle? Hugh? (Though I'm talking about him in general, not about camping it up.) On another site, I described him last night as "the guy you wish hadn't been invited to the party..,the one who buzzes around all night trying to get attention." For me, Jackman just works too hard, and likes to show us how hard he's working too hard. A true turnoff.

Bostonman - I have to admit I missed the first hour or so of the show, and so (luckily) missed the man-imitates-kangaroo opening. On m any sites the pros and cons of Hugh Jackman's MC-ing are being argued out - and it seems to be 50/50 you either liked him or hated him. Personally, I am convinced he is a nice guy, who while perhaps not being "gay" is so gay-friendly he can be suspected in playing for both sides; I wonder if his "buzzing around... trying to get attention" is not a defense mechanism to deal with this? No matter, whenever he takes his shirt off and sings, dances, emotes or just smiles.. I like him even more. Now the kangaroo jumping I can do without (now that I have seen videos of that!).

Let me say right up front, I don't know diddly squat about New York theatre. Having been born and raised in Southern California where good theatre has always been wanting I haven't had the opportunity to appreciate it.

Now with that said and done I was thrilled to see that "A Gentlemans Guide to Love and Murder" won the awards it did. Robert Freedman, who wrote the book, is a great guy and a member of my family. WELL DONE ROBERT!!!!!

Let me say right up front, I don't know diddly squat about New York theatre...

...I was thrilled to see that "A Gentlemans Guide to Love and Murder" won the awards it did. Robert Freedman, who wrote the book, is a great guy and a member of my family. WELL DONE ROBERT!!!!!

I was actually very entertained by the musical excerpt from this show. I hope it continues its run until I make my next trip to NYC!

Truhart1 :cool:

The worst Tony show ever. Boring. Stupid. Humorless. Jackman just tried way too hard and most of it fell flat. The hopping sequence at the beginning was beyond terrible. I'll probably roast in hell for this but Audra MacDonald did not deserve a 6th Tony. Two words: Cherry Jones...

Audra McDonald has not deserved HALF the Tony Awards she has won. Goes to show you how bad the nominees are (or how much they have a hard on for her never ending schtick) that she keeps winning even when she has no business being in that category. She reminded me about as much of Billie Holliday as Jennifer Lopez does. I would have given it to Estelle Parsons...

Sorry to see so much hating on Audra. It seems to come from the guys who are "in the business" in some way so I don't know how to interpret that. I only know, being merely an average everyday someone who loves theater and theater performers (and I agree she was nominated in the wrong category but that's certainly not her fault!) I can only go on what I have seen Ms. McDonald do in a previous performance. In that performance she overwhelmed me with her honest and gritty portrayal of a drug-addicted Bess who was trapped in her life and addiction. She won the Tony for leading actress that year too.

JMHO

TruHart1 :cool:

Sorry to see so much hating on Audra. It seems to come from the guys who are "in the business" in some way so I don't know how to interpret that.

I'm in the business as well, and I confess I like Audra's work. But it's funny - one of my close colleagues doesn't like her much either. (I think he'd say she's got a fine voice, but he doesn't think she's much of an actress.) Hey - one can't like everyone...:p

Sorry to see so much hating on Audra. It seems to come from the guys who are "in the business" in some way so I don't know how to interpret that. I only know, being merely an average everyday someone who loves theater and theater performers (and I agree she was nominated in the wrong category but that's certainly not her fault!) I can only go on what I have seen Ms. McDonald do in a previous performance. In that performance she overwhelmed me with her honest and gritty portrayal of a drug-addicted Bess who was trapped in her life and addiction. She won the Tony for leading actress that year too.

I wonder if "people in the business" saw Audra in the one-night only 2001 concert version of "Dreamgirls", which was released on two CDs and is a relatively easy find on bootlegs. Or again the one-night only concert version of "Carousel" with Hugh Jackman at Carnegie Hall a few years later. I saw Audra McDonald in both concerts. Audra is not necessarily my favorite performer, but she is always very good and often great in the concerts I mentioned or in a Broadway play or musical. Audra makes me believe that she is feeling the emotions of her characters. In "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess," I do not know how she could give a better performance; it was one of the very few times I have ever cried in the theater.

Archived