Language/pronunciation changes

Samai139
This topic is 3632 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

SOMETIMES you can have "ng" both ways. I have heard the word "finger," for instance, pronounced both with the ŋ and with a full g. I'm not sure if either is a regionalism or not. With a word like "singing," though, I think you're more apt to hear "siŋiŋ" rather than with either g fully pronounced.

The real problem is - English is a damned inconsistent language. :(

I have never been aware of hearing anyone pronounce "finger" or "linger" without the hard "g," but maybe I hear what I expect to hear (just as one often sees what one expects to see in written English, as cloze tests have shown).

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can . . . oops . . . May I have a go at this?

I am irritated by the increasing use of "that" where "who" should be used, e.g., "Any fool that's studied French knows . . . " Please make it stop.

Another irksome practice is misusing "who" and "whom" in constructions like "The man whom I believe is mentally challenged" or "The man who I believe I met at a leather convention." Please make it stop.

BTW,please let's not let this thread veer off into "it's/its" or "there/their/they're" territory. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Often.

Constant change is good....a living language is important to keep up with advances in tech..arts and all phases of life. When I hear the language butchered I almost automatically think....low information user...poor education...lazy....It's not an indication of the type of person..just a poor education and an unwillingness to learn...Y'all know what I means...

Archived