Clippers Owner: No Blacks At Clipper Games

Frankly Rich
This topic is 3685 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So you think that TMZ a "news organization" that usually gathers "news" by yelling non-sequiters to C list celebrities at the airport or outside a restaurant and which spends the majority of their air time discussing Kim Kardeshian's ass, has the journalistic integrity of other outlets. Perhaps this person went to TMZ knowing full well that they may be less likely to look too deeply into the source? I think if Time Magazine or the Washington Post or Wall Street Journal had broken the story it may hold a bit more credibility. That is not to say that TMZ may not be correct, but for right now, this qualifies as a rumor. TMZ are rumor-mongers and not really journalists and should be regarded as such.

From today's New York Times article, "Oh, How They Love To Dish," which is essentially a conversation between Liz Smith and Jess Cagle, the editorial director of People Magazine and Entertainment Tonight and a long-time contributor for Time, Inc. magazines:

Liz Smith: "I never pay any attention to any of them. I never know whether the stories are true."

Jess Cagle: "They're not all the same. TMZ actually tries to get it right. But a whole lot of others don't."

If you do think Mr. Cagle connection to Time, Inc. is not enough, here are quotes from a front page story also from today's New York Times:

New York Nets guard, Shaun Livington, who played for the Clippers for four seasons, chuckled and shook his head when he was asked about Sterling on Saturday. He then said, "Everyone kind of knows what's going on, you know what I mean." Asked if Sterling's presumed remarks were upsetting, Livingston said, ""If you look at it, I would say it's probably disappointing to a lot of people, but if you look at what's kind of gone on in the past, it's very unfortunate. But I think it kind of tells the same story as what's been told, if you pull up the record."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the latest from the LA Times. I'm not sure it helps much:

An audio recording said to be of Clippers team owner Donald Sterling making racist statements is authentic, and a woman named V. Stiviano did not release it to any news outlets, her attorney said in an e-mail Sunday to the Los Angeles Times.

The 15-minute recording is part of a one-hour conversation between Sterling and his client, V. Stiviano, attorney Mac Nehoray said in the e-mail. Nehoray, of the Calabasas-based Nehoray Legal Group, is representing Stiviano in a civil lawsuit brought against her by Sterling’s wife, Rochelle.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-v-stiviano-donald-sterling-tape-20140427,0,3361864.story#ixzz308g75DVo

There is a half-page ad in today's LA Times business section thanking Shelly and Donald T. Sterling "for the largest gift ever given to basic kidney research at UCLA."

They are going to get a gold colored plaque in the main lobby in their honor, and "UCLA is also planning on naming a research lab in their honor." But Shelly doesn't get named on this one, only Donald.

Ads in the Times telling us of Sterling's good will are common. This one has big pix of him and his wife, and a smaller pic of a doctor. The girl friend isn't pictured. But Sterling does give away big bucks, and he will be the first to tell you.

She may not have known until that conversation. She is, after all, of mixed race, so he was probably smart enough to conceal his racism from her for a while. If she had known and was ok with it, I doubt she would bring her black friends to the games.

I generally don't disagree with you FF, but you would be hard press to convince me that she didn't know how he felt about these racial issues. It is very difficult to hide those kinds of feelings.

And if she did know...it's amazing what people can excuse when they're in lust, whether they're with the person or his money/power.

I think she knew, and chose not to address it. Depending on their arrangement and his generosity, it would be quite easy to excuse his lapse in judgment.

English must not be a second language for you but way down the list and you've not learned it well :) As for the eavesdropping law, maybe you've done something useful, probably shouldn't get used to that.

Methinks you're not a frequent flier but a frequent lawyer - when the facts are with you, argue the case. When the facts are against you TRASH THE HELL OUT OF YOUR OPPONENT.

Excellent lawyering...

This is the latest from the LA Times. I'm not sure it helps much:

An audio recording said to be of Clippers team owner Donald Sterling making racist statements is authentic, and a woman named V. Stiviano did not release it to any news outlets, her attorney said in an e-mail Sunday to the Los Angeles Times.

The 15-minute recording is part of a one-hour conversation between Sterling and his client, V. Stiviano, attorney Mac Nehoray said in the e-mail. Nehoray, of the Calabasas-based Nehoray Legal Group, is representing Stiviano in a civil lawsuit brought against her by Sterling’s wife, Rochelle.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-v-stiviano-donald-sterling-tape-20140427,0,3361864.story#ixzz308g75DVo

That sounds like Sterling is setting up an attorney-client privilege contest for the tape. It also seems to indicate there's another 45 minutes of immediate context that's not been aired in public.

We still don't know thee origin of the tape. I think it is certainly from the girl friend, but that's just an opinion. Once the tape is proven true or not, then we can find some answers. Like maybe wearing our shirts inside out to protest!
Sterling's camp is saying the tape came from a disgruntled ex-employee whom he is suing for a $1.2 million embezzlement. I wonder if an embezzler has a reason to disparage their opponent's reputation before a trial? Maybe, just maybe?

There is a half-page ad in today's LA Times business section thanking Shelly and Donald T. Sterling "for the largest gift ever given to basic kidney research at UCLA."

They are going to get a gold colored plaque in the main lobby in their honor, and "UCLA is also planning on naming a research lab in their honor." But Shelly doesn't get named on this one, only Donald.

Ads in the Times telling us of Sterling's good will are common. This one has big pix of him and his wife, and a smaller pic of a doctor. The girl friend isn't pictured. But Sterling does give away big bucks, and he will be the first to tell you.

Sterling has an ad in the LA Times Sunday edition nearly every week regarding his philanthropy - NAACP, Jewish charities, Hispanic charities etc. His photo is always the largest photo in that ad. He's quite the self-promoter just like a whole bunch of LA celebrities. I think his self-promotion tends more toward the televangelist shiny suit and garish ilk, but he is a promoter. And he's made a fortune doing it.

And he may be a guilty of being a racist, too. One anonymous tape purporting to be him ranting, released on a Friday afternoon shouldn't be enough to adjudicate him guilty by Sunday. Let all the evidence come out. Let the origin of the tape and the circumstances be heard, too, then decide.

"Let all the evidence come out. Let the origin of the tape and the circumstances be heard, too, then decide."

But of course. Problem is, the public has made up its mind, or so it seems. Nothing like a gossipy scandal to entertain the public. If Sterling did make the remarks, his reputation takes a big hit.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure why this is so shocking. I hear far worse everytime I go to a gay bar in Manhattan. If I had a dollar every time I heard some gay man refer to "mandingos" or "rice queens" I think I'd be a multi-millionaire.

What's the difference? Whenever these kinds of situations arise, the level of hypocrisy is often breathtaking.

Guest boiworship08

Sterling's been running ads glorifying himself for years. He's a parvenu in a city filled with them. Some posters suggested that he's a sociopath. He's probably also a narcissist. The conversation reveals a person whose mind is slipping. I hope this sordid affair shifts to the back pages. Perhaps when Comrade Putin moves into the Donetsk Basin.

Sterling's been running ads glorifying himself for years. He's a parvenu in a city filled with them. Some posters suggested that he's a sociopath. He's probably also a narcissist. The conversation reveals a person whose mind is slipping. I hope this sordid affair shifts to the back pages. Perhaps when Comrade Putin moves into the Donetsk Basin.

No one seemed to mind that he was such a racist as long as he kept giving money to certain politicians (Bill Bradley, et al) and money to the right causes (NAACP) but now that a tape surfaces that all express shock worthy of Claude Rains in Casablanca. The whole thing is too funny for words.

This story is not going away. When Cincinnati Reds owner Marge Schoot made slurs against African-Americans, Jews and the Japanese followed by support of some of Hitler's domestic policies, she was banned from major league baseball for two years, 1996 through 1998. Schoot sold the majority of her share of the Reds. Sterling's alleged comments may not have been as sweeping. But, Schoot was not the owner of a team made up of primarily African-American players.

I heard an interview with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver regarding Sterling Sunday night. He said something to the effect that Sterling will get Due Process before the league will issue any rulings.

I don't think that Donald T. Sterling deserves his Due Process. I think WE deserve Due Process - so that we can all know that we will not be judged and have our livelihood taken from us without having the opportunity to defend ourselves.

The absence of a vigorous defense in the media over the weekend leads me to think that Sterling knows he's been caught, but he may be playing Rope-A-Dope with the accuser and TMZ Sports, too. One can only say, "More To Come."

This story is not going away. When Cincinnati Reds owner Marge Schoot made slurs against African-Americans, Jews and the Japanese followed by support of some of Hitler's domestic policies, she was banned from major league baseball for two years, 1996 through 1998. Schoot sold the majority of her share of the Reds. Sterling's alleged comments may not have been as sweeping. But, Schoot was not the owner of a team made up of primarily African-American players.

Baseball has different rules. You can be banned -- like Pete Rose -- from baseball for life. The NBA operates under a mostly different set of rules. He can't be forced to sell the team or to even give up running it.

No need to look into this behavior further. Rush Limbaugh has completed all the analysis necessary. He claims that Sterling is a “big Democrat” and that the only reason this is all a big deal is because “he did not give enough money to Obama". Is it too late for Sterling to give money to the Democratic party and have all the problems he's created for himself go away?

Maybe Sterling should come clean, apologize, go for treatment somewhere and just act "human" about the whole fiasco. Some people will never forgive him, but some will/might. Going into hiding doesn't seem to be a good strategy unless he's negotiating with the league and once that's done he'll do the apologize and treatment route.

Baseball has different rules. You can be banned -- like Pete Rose -- from baseball for life. The NBA operates under a mostly different set of rules. He can't be forced to sell the team or to even give up running it.

NBA's constitution is a private document but a few details have leaked. They won't be able to force him to sell the team, but they CAN force him to have no contact with the team or the front office, and ban him from attending games. (And, let's face it, the only reason he owns the team is so he can hold court and have people kiss the ring during games.) The NBA has ignored him for 30 years through all of the other racial-tinted incidents. They're finally caught with their pants down and will have to address the issue.

It's still legal to be an asshole. But the commercial pressure is already starting (with sponsors walking away), other owners are bringing their own pressure to bear, etc.

I just heard an analyst say "by this time next year he won't be an NBA team owner" and that's probably what will come about.

NBA's constitution is a private document but a few details have leaked. They won't be able to force him to sell the team, but they CAN force him to have no contact with the team or the front office, and ban him from attending games. (And, let's face it, the only reason he owns the team is so he can hold court and have people kiss the ring during games.) The NBA has ignored him for 30 years through all of the other racial-tinted incidents. They're finally caught with their pants down and will have to address the issue.

It's still legal to be an asshole. But the commercial pressure is already starting (with sponsors walking away), other owners are bringing their own pressure to bear, etc.

I just heard an analyst say "by this time next year he won't be an NBA team owner" and that's probably what will come about.

I'm guessing the "only reason he owns the team" is to make money not to have his ring kissed, which is probably only the second reason :)

The NBA...NFL...NHL...all professional sports teams are full of bigotry.....from the fans to the owners...just like in real life...Why is everyone so surprised?...The fact that he makes his living from sports does not preclude his bigotry....just makes him more wealthy...Don't like it (I don't) ?...Don't support his team...don't work for him....His downfall is self imposed.....

I'm not surprised at his bigotry. This country is filled with racism. You can change the law, but you can't always change peoples hearts. He has had serious issues with African Americans before regarding his property. I am surprised that in this day and age he allowed himself to be recorded, and then allowed it to spin out of control. I agree, don't like it, speak with your dollars, and don't support the team....Car Max, Virgin America, Kia Motors, Red Bull, Mercedes Benz, P.Daddy water brands, and others are speaking with their dollars. Some perhaps temporarily, some most likely will be permanent. I don't care how wealthy he is, money matters to him....

I'm guessing the "only reason he owns the team" is to make money not to have his ring kissed, which is probably only the second reason :)
Twenty-Seven losing seasons out of 33? He's not making a whole lotta money. Only recently did he get into the big money contracts and hiring premier talent to get the team to the playoffs - the REAL NBA Season.

The NBA...NFL...NHL...all professional sports teams are full of bigotry.....from the fans to the owners...just like in real life...Why is everyone so surprised?...The fact that he makes his living from sports does not preclude his bigotry....just makes him more wealthy...Don't like it (I don't) ?...Don't support his team...don't work for him....His downfall is self imposed.....
Coincidentally, every group you mention has one common thread - they're all human.

I'm not surprised at his bigotry. This country is filled with racism. You can change the law, but you can't always change peoples hearts. He has had serious issues with African Americans before regarding his property. I am surprised that in this day and age he allowed himself to be recorded, and then allowed it to spin out of control. I agree, don't like it, speak with your dollars, and don't support the team....Car Max, Virgin America, Kia Motors, Red Bull, Mercedes Benz, P.Daddy water brands, and others are speaking with their dollars. Some perhaps temporarily, some most likely will be permanent. I don't care how wealthy he is, money matters to him....
Humans by their very nature discriminate - it's when the discrimination turns to denying basic rights to other human beings that it can become horrific. There's nothing wrong in discriminating against Gilbey's Gin in favor of Bombay Sapphire. Even though it does create economic disadvantages for Gilbey's - I shall not repent, and treat Gilbey's equally! :cool:

I don't think Sterling 'allowed' himself to be recorded. The accusation is that he was secretly recorded, maybe even pushed into the argument (there was a hour long recording, but only 15 minutes was released.

As to spin control, he hasn't done a very good job - maybe he's 81 and tired? I have observed in my life older people with whom I have associated were less careful, tending to say things that wouldn't be accepted as politically correct. The facts that Sterling gave V. Stivano a car, a house, $1.5 million, and his Sterling's wife (family) is suing Stivano to get it back, may indicate he's grown mentally unbalanced.

All those LA Times Sunday edition braggadocio ads both announcing and thanking him for this and that philanthropy every week, tend to point to a narcissistic unbalanced behavior, too. "I am the greatest." doesn't just belong to Muhammed Ali.

I love, love, love THIS!

http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

The first paragraph is awesome, but the whole article is a worthy read.

Moral outrage is exhausting. And dangerous. The whole country has gotten a severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome from the newest popular sport of Extreme Finger Wagging. Not to mention the neck strain from Olympic tryouts for Morally Superior Head Shaking. All over the latest in a long line of rich white celebrities to come out of the racist closet. (Was it only a couple days ago that Cliven Bundy said blacks would be better off picking cotton as slaves? And only last June Paula Deen admitted using the “N” word?
Bold = EMPHASIS ADDED.

http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

The first paragraph is awesome, but the whole article is a worthy read.

Bold = EMPHASIS ADDED.[/font][/color][/font][/color]

Excellent article ISC, thanks for posting. So everyone is shocked, the commissioner is "outraged" and throws down a life time ban, imposes 2.5 million dollar fine and will ask owners to force a sale of the Clippers....I like this quote from the article: "They caught big game on a slow news day, so they put his head on a pike, dubbed him Lord of the Flies, and danced around him whopping." The Hypocrisy is just as shocking and outrageous. I guess we will all sleep well tonight, proud of ourselves for what we have done, and yet in the end, nothing "really" changes, life goes on.

Guest countryboywny

Has anyone wondered why all of a sudden Mr. Sterling's racial bias is coming to the fore front now? He has a history of it. I don't condone what he said, but I wonder if he was set up and recorded at just the right time. Especially since Magic Johnson is trying to buy the team and a well placed scandal such as this might drive the asking price down??

Has anyone wondered why all of a sudden Mr. Sterling's racial bias is coming to the fore front now? He has a history of it. I don't condone what he said, but I wonder if he was set up and recorded at just the right time. Especially since Magic Johnson is trying to buy the team and a well placed scandal such as this might drive the asking price down??
And Sterling's wife has filed suit against the supposed gold digger? The Clippers for the first time in the 33 year history of Sterling's ownership just might play for the Championship?

Archived