Hugh Jackman (The Boy From Oz) - moved from Deli

jasne
This topic is 7511 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Have many of you seen or plan to see this play? I went last Friday (previews just began) and it is AWESOME!!! They did a great job telling Peter Allen's story and Isabel Keating could be Judy Garland's doppelganger; so real it was eerie. Jackman shares one kiss with his partner and has the flamboyant style of Peter Allen down to a "T."

Josh Groban

I am seeing The Boy from Oz tomorrow.

The gayest event in NY this week was the Actors' Fund benefit performance of "Chess" with Josh Groban on Monday night, introduced by Barbara Cook (raised nearly $800,000). Last week and the coming weeks belong to Jackman, this week is all about Groban, who would be a good replacment for Hugh if Oz is a major hit.

RE: Josh Jackman

At least Groban can sing, but Hugh has the looks.

In fairness to the show, the guy I went to see it with did stay for the second half. He thought it got marginally better but that the drama was misplaced.

I do hope that everyone else who is paying top dollar likes the show better than I did. Hopefully, you can tell me what eluded me.

RE: Josh Jackman

"The Boy From Oz" is a show in previews, prior to an October 16 opening. If you see a show in previews, you need to understand that it is not a completed work. Songs may change, actors may finally understand their character, direction can become more focused. Even costumes can be changed. Most new shows go through a period of gestation like this. I hope that the show responds well to it's changes.

RE: The Bomb From Oz

No under stud, jack, it was really Hugh. One indication of his lack of singing ability was the necessity to cover his songs with background vocals. Unfortunately, that's how the show started. He is "singing" and all these voices start joining him, but he is alone on the stage.

Well I liked the show more than Lucky. Of course I'm pretty good at convincing myself that I'm having a good time after I've shelled out $200 (for 2 tickets) for something (or someone). The first act is a little awkward with too much "and then I did this, and then I did that " narrative. Sorry that Lucky didn't stick it out till the second act, cause it did pick up some steam. The final number, "I Go To Rio" was really lots of fun and William Ivey Long, who did the costumes, knows what to do with sequins.

I liked the kid who plays the young Peter Allen. A real Broadway baby. The two actresses who played Judy and Liza were almost good enough to be drag queens. The actor playing Peter's boyfriend Greg is a real hunk and I was a little teary eyed when he sang "I Honestly Love You".

At first Hugh sounded very nasal and a little flat to me when he was singing but he got better as he went along. I think he moves very well on stage and he really is cute. Not quite the hunk he was in "X Men" but he looks good with his shirt off. I was glad I was in the 3rd row of the orchestra. He really worked his butt off and seemed like he was having a great time doing it. He seemed very convincing and comfortable playing a gay man. Frankly I'm surprised he's straight. I sure wouldn't kick him out of bed.

I did notice that several numbers were rearranged from the order listed in the program so it is very much a work in preview. Things will probably change till it opens. I don't think it's a great show but by the end I was on my feet applauding with the rest of the audience. I had fun and left happy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bnabottom

The Times gave it a very, very bad review. Said that although he was good, the show as a whole was awful

Almost all the reviews thought it to be less than stellar, however all the reviews were phenomenal for Jackman. They called him a bona fide Broadway star. They practically gave him the Tony for his performance. He is very much the "toast of the town". I guess he learned how to sing.:-) :) :D

>Almost all the reviews thought it to be less than stellar,

>however all the reviews were phenomenal for Jackman. They

>called him a bona fide Broadway star. They practically gave

>him the Tony for his performance. He is very much the "toast

>of the town". I guess he learned how to sing.:-) :) :D

Yes, the reviews have been mixed but does $10M in advance sale indicate something? There was heardly any mention of Isabel Keating in that NYT review and she was incredible! Ignore the reviews, they are probably written even before the reviewer enters the theater. The show was awesome!! Can't wait for the Tony's to see how this turns out!

Archived