Audra McDonald in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill

skynyc
This topic is 3631 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw the first preview of this tonight and suspect Ms. McDonald may have to make room for her sixth Tony. An nomination at least.

The play takes place at Emerson's in South Philly about three months before Billie Holiday died of cirrhosis and heart failure, and it's as much play as musical. The script allows the actress to sing the songs made famous by the tragic singer, but also very naturally fills you in on much of her life. The death of her great-grandmother and father, her mother's disapproval of one of her great loves...(who introduced her to drugs and was the cause of her arrest and imprisonment for drug possession.)

The show doesn't whitewash the fact that she had addiction problems and was most likely very difficult to control. Yet it also shows how her talent allowed her to break barriers.

And there are times that Ms. McDonald sounds uncannily like Ms. Holiday...both while speaking and singing. The man behind me was in awe, and from the way he was talking to his companion, it was clear he was much more familiar with Holiday's oeuvre than I am. But her renditions of Strange Fruit, God Bless the Child and What a Little Moonlight Can Do were amazing.

I was VERY fortunate to have discovered this on tdf...it was up on the board for a VERY short time for a couple performances...and I am glad I did. Tickets are pricey...and she's only doing this for 70 performances. I suspect a big hit.

Ms. McDonald is a true Broadway phenomenon in whatever she decides to do. I saw her a few years ago in that ramped down version of Porgy & Bess (for which she won her best actress Tony) and was blown away by the intensity she brought to her scene with Porgy when admitting to him that Crown forced her against her will and she did not have any way to stop him. I’ve also seen a local repertory production of Lady Day at Emerson’s and I can just imagine what she would be able to bring to this role. I just had to comment on one of my favorites who is a great actress and interpreter of song.

TruHart1 :cool:

I agree with skynyc on this one... Audra McDonald is simply amazing playing the role of Billie Holiday in the play "Lady Day at the Emerson's Bar & Grill". With all the great songs being sung and a 3 piece band on the round stage, you'd think it was a musical not a play.

One person plays can be tricky but Audra McDonald pulled it off and was just mesmerizing. I liked everything about it; excellent singing, acting, music, and the night club atmosphere. Audra has already won 5 Tony's, perhaps #6 will soon be added.

It's playing at the Circle In the Square, a theater in the round. All seats are good. I was able to purchase "table seats" at TKTS. I sat right in front of the stage. There are a limited number of tables with 4 at a table. The other seats are regular stadium like seats. If you purchase the table seats, you'll receive a complimentary bottle of sparking water and champagne. Suggestion, don't drink too much as this is a 1 Act, 90 minute show with no intermission.

It only opened in previews on Tuesday and this 8pm performance was sold out. Only 70 shows are currently scheduled.

I got a table seat just a few feet from the stage at tkts this afternoon. It was $82.50. Audra was so astounding I would have happily paid full price. There were times, when she wasn't singing or even speaking, the look on her face, in her eyes was heartbreaking. It didn't seem like a performance at all. I felt in the presence of Billy herself. It was beyond brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the professional reviewers have given high marks to Audra's singing but less so for her portrayal of Billie Holliday since they assume everyone knows all about her tragic life. I could not disagree more. Her acting is astounding. I would urge everyone who is able to see this wonderful show and be amazed by Audra McDonald's performance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw "Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill" today."

Let me get the personal part out of the way first. I have a ninety-year old African-American friend, Marty, who saw Billie Holiday perform here in Philadelphia. Although he is extremely sharp, he's not sure at which clubs in Philadelphia (apparently there were many Negro jazz clubs here in the 1940s and 1950s). I thought about getting Audra McDonald to sign my playbill for him, and decided to give it a try. By accident, I was the first person Audra approached. When I told her about Marty, Audra was careful to write a person message and write very carefully and clearly. She said to me that she was not expecting this, but it makes perfect sense because Billie would have been ninety-nine years old this year.

Despite reading about the play, I was shocked that Audra McDonald had Billie singing and speech pattern almost exactly right. It's an amazing and exhausting performance, especially as Billie gets more and more wasted. At one point, McDonald falls off the stage into the audience. Yes, sometimes Billie's rambling stories are boring, but her singing is not. I do believe that Holiday was not capable of singing such superb versions of "God Bless the Child" or "Strange Fruit" at the end of her life. It's nice to hear Audra sing those songs well, but it is at odds with the story. Billie is about as far as one could get from Audra McDonald's roles in "Carousel" and the "Dreamgirls" 2001 concert.

But, the play again raises an issue about even a supremely gifted actress playing a performer as well known as Billie Holiday (or Judy Garland several years ago). I said no to "End of the Rainbow," and a much weaker no to "Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill" now. There are plenty of recordings available of Billie Holiday, both live and in the studio. Still I am very glad I saw the play. It is scheduled to close on August 31.

Archived