Thursday matinees starting April 3rd

Cooper
This topic is 3728 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

With the popularity of the Wednesday matinees, a few Broadway shows will soon add to their schedule a Thursday matinee. Among them are: Cinderella, Mamma Mia, and the Phantom of the Opera.

I like this idea as the Wednesday matinees are usually attended by school groups, senior organizations, retirees, and tourists. I hope this idea catches on for other popular shows. Also, I'm sure the theater district restaurants will benefit.

Read more: http://www.thursdaymatinees.com/

Currently, most shows perform 6 days a week, with matinees on Wednesday and Saturday, for a total of 8 shows a week. With the news announced here, will they be performing 9 shows a week? Wouldn't that require re-writing a multitude of contracts? Or, will the show use the Thursday matinee to eliminate another matinee, remaining at 8 shows a week? With ticket prices relatively flat, one wonders if a show could sustain 9 performances a week. Of course, if only 8, nothing changes but the date.

It's surprising that they would announce Thursday matinees without also providing this additional information.

Following Cooper's link, I see that Cinderella will give up the 8pm Wednesday show altogether. Phantom and Mama Mia will eliminate the Wednesday matinee in favor of the Thursday matinee.

I doubt this will work. It's the consistency of knowing when shows perform that has helped the theatergoer until now. Confusion doesn't sell tickets.

How do theater district restaurants benefit by eliminating Wednesday matinees for Thursday ones?

Then again, what about people who have bought a ticket for a show that has now been eliminated? Do we assume that they can just go the next day and have no other plans- such as to go back home?

Then again, what about people who have bought a ticket for a show that has now been eliminated? Do we assume that they can just go the next day and have no other plans- such as to go back home?

Frankly, Have no fear, this decision didn't happen over-night. I found a news story that mentions this change from Nov. 2013. This article gives reasons for the decision to try a Thursday matinee. http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20131108/MEDIA_ENTERTAINMENT/131109896/broadway-shows-try-out-thursday-matinees#

I think it's a good move, especially for some of these older shows that are competing so much for group sales. And also theater-loving tourists are always looking for an extra "slot". They might just go back to see Phantom again, (which I look forward to doing when Sierra Boggess and Norm Lewis go in in May,) or Mamma Mia on the MUCH smaller stage.

Interesting that both of those shows are next to each other. 44th St is (hopefully) going to be busy on Thursdays.

Restaurants may be thrilled because now they have bigger lunch crowds on two days. And maybe won't have to turn folks away.

I know Paper Mill used to rely on being the only option for Thursday matinees to get NY theater-goers out to Millburn.

And it may not work, but I admire them for trying. Playing with curtain times for weeknights has been going on for a while now and seems to be paying off, so hopefully it is broadening the audiences scope of what the schedule can be.

Well, Frankly, You don't have to read Crain's NY Business to know about this decision. Back on Nov. 8th, 2013, not only did Theatermania report this news but so did other Broadway publications... I hope this Thursday matinee decision works. It certainly will benefit people like me who prefer a weekday matinee to an evening performance. Btw, I'm glad you read the "Cooper Report"... ;-)

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/11-2013/get-ready-for-thursday-matinees-broadway_66587.html

• 2 weeks later...

Today starts the beginning of Thursday matinees. All 3 shows: Cinderella, Phantom of the Opera, and Mamma Mia, are currently available at TKTS at a 40% discount.

It will be interesting to see if this decision works.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/358o37c.jpg

Archived