Installed free Adobe

friendofsheila
This topic is 3728 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I wanted a program to edit pdf's (I'm filling out job forms, and some let you add text but not save. I want to save.)

Acrobat Pro at work saves, so I downloaded an older version of Adobe Acrobat Pro that Adobe offered on its website for free. I installed to a drive external to my PC (Dell, 2007-ish, running XP) (but I think I downloaded the exe file to the local drive, possibly not - I'm not at my computer now).

Now remembering that I did the same thing for their version of Photoshop that was at the same webpage, and it has run fine many months now, I'm surprised that when I boot up my local drive, the computer tries to run an "installer" for Acrobat Pro. It even does it again whenever I use any of my shortcut files. Big pain, and I can't even run Acrobat Pro by activating the installed program.

I even deleted the "automatic launcher" that was put into the Startup folder. And it still acts up, and won't run.

Possibilities?

1) My computer can't handle it (not quite enough something-or-other).

2) I did something wrong.

3) The Acrobat is wacky. Neither here nor there, since I probably have to do "A" below one way or another if it's true.

What's next?

A) Uninstall Pro, unless y'all can help me fix it, and live without it.

B) Uninstall, and reinstall and do it right this time, somehow.

C) Install the free Acrobat 7.0 (a lesser version, so it might not do what I want, which is edit pdf's).

D) look for an alternate pdf editor (I've not seen anything promised at Cnet yet).

Any input?

Thanks.

I couldn't find an older version of Acrobat Pro or Photoshop offered for free on the site, except for as a free trial. Would you please post the links?

If the older versio of Pro is still being offered on the site, why not uninstall and reinstall that?

By coincidenceI was trying to install the newest version of Adobe this week....No matter what I did it would not dl....even turning off my Webroot Security..I took it to Best Buy and they found malware toolbars were the culprit...So I am down to my tablet for the time being waiting for a return.....

By coincidenceI was trying to install the newest version of Adobe this week....No matter what I did it would not dl....even turning off my Webroot Security..I took it to Best Buy and they found malware toolbars were the culprit...So I am down to my tablet for the time being waiting for a return.....

My office had to take my pc in for security check after the last Adobe update. Apparently it caused a minor skirmish with our security program. Seems like every two weeks there's an update download for Adobe. No wonder Steve Jobs felt Adobe was a security issue for iOS.

My office had to take my pc in for security check after the last Adobe update. Apparently it caused a minor skirmish with our security program. Seems like every two weeks there's an update download for Adobe. No wonder Steve Jobs felt Adobe was a security issue for iOS.

That's one reason I refuse to let Adobe auto-update. *I* will choose when to destabilize my PC, thankyouverymuch.

The other annoying thing Adobe does with Acrobat Reader is installing a desktop icon. Always. Every damn time. I delete it every damn time. I promise, people at Adobe, in the last 25 years I have ABSOLUTELY NEVER opened Acrobat Reader and then gone hunting for a PDF file. I always double click the PDF file and expect it to open. The desktop icon is wasted. But does anyone listen to me? Nooooo. :mad:

To FOS, option B is the obvious next step. It couldn't hurt.

Archived