Mothers and Sons

foxy
This topic is 3640 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is Terrence McNally's 20th production in 51 years, and they are not always winners, but when they are, I have certainly enjoyed them. Lips Together, Teeth Apart and Kiss of the Spider Woman are favorites of mine, along with Love! Valour! Compassion!. I thought The Ritz was really funny too.

As playwrights go Terrence McNally is something of a magician. In the space of two lines he will bring you from laughter to tears and back to laughter. This is a really wonderful play and I urge everyone to see it. Tyne Daly is great as the sad, heart broken and often mean mother who never could accept her son being gay. She shows even more discomfort with his lover who survives him after her son dies of AIDS. Something that struck me during the quiet moments of the play, you could literally hear a pin drop in the theater. The play seems to end with a question mark so you can write your own ending.

I took in a Wednesday matinee performance of "Mothers and Sons" which is still in previews. It's 90 minutes with no intermission... All I can say is sit back, get comfortable, and enjoy the conversation in this well written play. It has a very likeable cast of 4 talented actors, one being a child. Tyne Daly is superb... Yes, Terrence McNally has, once again, provided us with some quality entertainment.

http://www.mothersandsonsbroadway.com/

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5K0moGwyJ0DK1ew0z_X09C_Z2hdu-Pvq9R4sT_mRk7DovibyNfg

I concur...I do think this is McNally's strongest work in a while. It's clear that he was writing a lot of personal stuff. And I sat there and remembered how awful those years were, and yet also realized how blessed I was to live through them. They shaped the person I am today.

The cast is terrific. I had some problems understanding a couple of the little boy's lines, but for me it was Frederick Weller, and not Tyne Daly who broke my heart. His character is truly almost too perfect. But the love he felt for Andre enabled him to endure Andre's mother for one last time.

Part of me does wish that there was a scene later that night when he and Bobby Steggert's character had a conversation about the past...and how the action of the play brought things back up that were probably well buried.

I remember watching the TV "prequel" Andre's mother with Sada Thompson and Richard Thomas...(and Sylvia Sydney.) It's available to watch on YouTube.

I think, like The Normal Heart a couple of years ago, this will be well-reviewed and should play into the summer, but the subject matter won't make it a long-time resident of the Golden. But I am looking forward to going again.

Tickets were on tdf for most weeknights...I saw it for $43, and had a great seat in the Front Mezz.

skynyc, I sure wish you could provide a link to the YouTube movie Andre's Mother. I find clips, but not the movie. It does not stream on Netflix either. You have to order the DVD. Amazon is out of it as well. Must either be very popular or few copies exist! (Even oldies.com is out of stock!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was quite a surprise today to see Terry Teachout's review of Mothers & Sons in the Wall Street Journal. It's no Crain's, but it carries Teachout, who I usually like.

But he didn't like the play, calling it "by turns glib, smug, preachy, sentimental and, for about 10 minutes of its hour-and-a-half span, quite moving."

"The glibness is the worst part. The first hour of "Mothers and Sons," a punchline-heavy depiction of Katharine's awkward reunion with Cal, rattles on far too easily. As for the smugness, it comes to the fore whenever Katharine, who grew up in a declassé New York suburb, married a Texan and moved with him to Dallas, opens her mouth.

Not only does she hate gays, but she doesn't much care for Texas..." "The preachiness, predictably enough, comes toward play's end"

He did like the acting. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303725404579459273878875890?mg=reno64-wsj

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw this last night and enjoyed it. Tyne Daly is a good actress. I like her. That said, my friend who saw the show with me pointed out that she plays the same part in every role. Maybe.

It was about 3/4 full last night and it's a small theatre. Not sure why it's not selling.

I saw this last night and enjoyed it. Tyne Daly is a good actress. I like her. That said, my friend who saw the show with me pointed out that she plays the same part in every role. Maybe.

It was about 3/4 full last night and it's a small theatre. Not sure why it's not selling.

Your friend is exactly right. She does have one schtick and she does it really well but you should have seen her Cagney and Lacey version of GYPSY in which she sang about as well as I do in the shower.

Your friend is exactly right. She does have one schtick and she does it really well but you should have seen her Cagney and Lacey version of GYPSY in which she sang about as well as I do in the shower.

I saw Daly in "Gypsy" about ten days before it closed. Her acting was better than her singing, but that may be because of the difficulty of the the role. Her "Gypsy" lasted longer than any of the three other revivals (Lansbury, Peters, LuPone), but shorter than the original Broadway cast (Merman). Given that Daly was miscast (not a great singer), I give her credit for her excellent reviews and ability to act the hell out of her part as Madame Rose.

Interesting that no one has mentioned the HBO movie The Normal Heart. It ties in somewhat with Mothers and Sons. I guess people would prefer not to think about the AIDS crisis. It's still pretty real to me.

Interesting that no one has mentioned the HBO movie The Normal Heart. It ties in somewhat with Mothers and Sons. I guess people would prefer not to think about the AIDS crisis. It's still pretty real to me.

I don't know about you but every single person I know -- including me -- was away for the Memorial Day weekend. No one in their right mind -- in this beautiful weather -- would choose to be inside watching TV. Just my opinion.

I'll get around to it eventually. I do hope the movie tones down the rather tone deaf political polemic I remember the play being. AIDS should have been a health crisis but some -- on all sides -- turned it into a political disease and I never thought that was very helpful. AIDS wasn't caused by politics. I will admit that I felt much less touched by AIDS as very few of my friends from that time got the disease. Perhaps I just was lucky to have friends who didn't engage in high risk behavior, who knows. But I'm grateful.

It's still pretty real to me too. I bought "The Normal Heart: The Broadway Benefit Reading" on CD in 1994 and have listened to it perhaps 50 times since. The reading is introduced by Barbra Streisand and stars Kevin Bacon, Eric Bogosian and Stockard Channing.

I watched season 7.1 "Mad Men" finale instead because I do not have HBO. I'll watch it with someone who has HBO. I am so glad Larry Kramer lived to see the play made into a film. Every gay man owes so much to Kramer for ACT UP and GMHC. Also: Dr. Mathilde Krim for amFAR. I realize that Kramer and Krim did not do it alone, as Krim would be the first to say.

Archived