Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812

Cooper
This topic is 3773 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Have any of you noticed the tent on 45th St. near 8th Ave? It's called Kazino and is the home of the off-Broadway musical "Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812". Inside, the tent is set up like a Russian night club with bar and tables. You can order drinks and a meal. The actors will perform throughout the bar and, in some cases, will sit right next to you. A completely different set up than most Broadway shows. There is some audience participation. I still have my egg that rattles and a note from one of the cast members about meeting up afterwards.:o

The plot is based on a Russian love story taken from Tolstoy's novel "War and Peace". The main character, Natasha Rostova, is a young beautiful woman who has arrived in Moscow waiting for her fiance to return from battle. While there she falls madly in love with the very charming and handsome Anatole. When her family learns of her new love interest they forbid her to see him again... The drama begins!

Excellent singing and fine acting. It's different and I enjoyed the setting and staging. Tickets are available at TKTS for $40.

It runs till March 2nd.

http://thegreatcometof1812.com/

You mean the tent under 50 feet of snow? No, I didn't see that! Just kidding, of course, as I have not been to New York during these first cold months of the year as I have been traveling through warmer climes. But the idea of sitting in a tent to see a show is a bit of a turn off as the original Cirque Soleil shows were seen that way and I just didn't like it. So, Mr. Cooper, am I far off base on this? Was it comfortable and warm inside?

... So, Mr. Cooper, am I far off base on this? Was it comfortable and warm inside?

Once inside you'll quickly forget you are in a tent, more like a night club with dim red lights, comfortable table seating, and low ceiling. You are in the center and the stage is all around you... As for the temperature, this was one of those single digit days that NYC has had a lot of this Winter. So, I was already dressed in layers. The heat varied for warm to cool, however, when the very handsome Anatole sat next to me, things did warm up quickly.

Lucas Steele, who plays Anatole, is super hot and sexy. I was at this show about 10 days ago. It was really a hoot. Once you're seated inside, you don't know it's a tent - it's just a very large space decorated to feel like an early 19th century Russian club, lots of pictures on the walls, dark red wallpaper, musicians arranged around the place. The show is lively and involving, and the characters move all about the space, mingling with the audience, etc. It was my favorite theatrical experience so far this year. Don't worry about the heat!!! The show generates plenty of heat. I was there on a very cold day and was completely comfortable with my coat draped on the back of my chair.

Archived