Michael Sam, SEC defensive player of the year, comes out as gay

leigh.bess.toad
This topic is 3746 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just breaking: Michael Sam from Missouri who was 1st team all American and the SEC defensive player of the year just announced on ESPN that he is gay. He came out to his team last August. He is projected to be a third or fourth round draft pick. So it looks like we will have our first openly gay NFL player next year. Amazing. Well done Michael.

Just breaking: Michael Sam from Missouri who was 1st team all American and the SEC defensive player of the year just announced on ESPN that he is gay. He came out to his team last August. He is projected to be a third or fourth round draft pick. So it looks like we will have our first openly gay NFL player next year. Amazing. Well done Michael.

http://nyti.ms/1gjSYN2

If there is a great guiding spirit in the universe, I hope it protects him.

Gman

I admire him very much. By being authentic and honest, he's saving himself and his loved ones all the anguish of the closet, and whatever career difficulties he may face, he'll be able to sleep well at night.

That headline in the Times says it all: "N.F.L. Prospect Says What Teammates Knew . . . " Coming out was acknowledging what the other guys already knew and quite evidently accepted. Times are rapidly changing; we know this is a generational issue.

Michael Sam (and his agent) just changed the rules of the game. Others will surely follow.

one of my very first boyfriends played for The Detroit Lions...same years as David Kopay..the sheer amount of worry that he would be found out sent him to tailspins and an eventual leaving of the NFL...Hopefully Michael Sam will have a great career and flourish....My personal experience with NFL players tells me he has a tough time....mostly from men that question their own sexuality and of course religious bigots (same thing)....Best wishes for him....

I admire him very much. By being authentic and honest, he's saving himself and his loved ones all the anguish of the closet, and whatever career difficulties he may face, he'll be able to sleep well at night.

I don't know that this is always true. There can definitely be sleepless nights either way. Yes, if the world were perfect coming out should make things better but not always. That's an unrealistic view of the world when, and I think I'm right about this, there is no federal law and the majority of states do not have laws to protect us from losing or not being able to find housing or prevent loss of non-federal jobs.

Where I'm living now, I have basically one - somewhat friend. He's married and straight. We are a bit estranged now- not from disagreements- just he basically doesn't have the time between being husband, father, opening a new business. But in the past we were much closer. And he -as well as his wife- have provided me with support in times past. While I haven't asked them directly, I've gotten the sense over the years that they aren't that accepting of the gay lifestyle. While we aren't that close now- to some extent I do still need their support. I'll be moving out of state soon and probably won't ever see them again. But for now, as in the words of the Olivia Newton-John song- 'it gets me nowhere' to tell them I am gay. And in fact would cause me detriment as I would no longer have even that bit of support they still provide.

Or another example- my career is most likely over. But there is a minuscule chance it isn't. However, if it isn't , I am going to need some references from some acquaintances. There aren't that many people I can get references from. Some of the people I need- are I am fairly certain due to their religious backgrounds- not in agreement with the gay lifestyle and most likely think it is sinful. I cannot afford to let these people know that I am gay. I may be shortchanging them and not having enough faith. But for example one of them is a devout Moslem from Syria who was at one point, before the Civil War, planning on going back home because he didn't like the permissiveness of American Society, and the other is from a fundamentalist religious background. There may be a few others that it would be better for me if they didn't know also.

While I am glad my immediate family know- mother and siblings, coming out is not a panacea. While it might have relieved 20% of my stress, the other 80% of my problems are still there. And the fact that I was finally able to let my family know, has not really helped me very much in my coming to terms with being gay, being able to make gay friends, ever having a date, or even finding someone to hook up with more frequently than every February 29th. In fact I did my darnedest to try to keep myself from believing that everything would be so much better- so improved once I came out. I failed though. While I knew better, I couldn't keep my emotions from betraying me and was hoping my life would improve. It didn't change much at all. And the emotional let down that I knew would occur was not pleasant at all.

So while this was one giant step for a man, I really hope it improves his life more than it has so far for me.

Gman

Definitely. Whichever team drafts him will become my new favorite team. I thought it most interesting that he told his college teammates at Missouri in August, and that their reaction collectively was, "so?"

What's also really cool is that this guy is not a scrub. He was the co-defensive player of the year in the SEC, the toughest conference in the country. And we all know how tolerant the deep south is....LOL...... The man can play.

We as a community need to do all we can to support and encourage him, (knowing that all we may be able to do is just be a fan.)

I don't know that this is always true. There can definitely be sleepless nights either way. Yes, if the world were perfect coming out should make things better but not always. That's an unrealistic view of the world when, and I think I'm right about this, there is no federal law and the majority of states do not have laws to protect us from losing or not being able to find housing or prevent loss of non-federal jobs.

Where I'm living now, I have basically one - somewhat friend. He's married and straight. We are a bit estranged now- not from disagreements- just he basically doesn't have the time between being husband, father, opening a new business. But in the past we were much closer. And he -as well as his wife- have provided me with support in times past. While I haven't asked them directly, I've gotten the sense over the years that they aren't that accepting of the gay lifestyle. While we aren't that close now- to some extent I do still need their support. I'll be moving out of state soon and probably won't ever see them again. But for now, as in the words of the Olivia Newton-John song- 'it gets me nowhere' to tell them I am gay. And in fact would cause me detriment as I would no longer have even that bit of support they still provide.

Or another example- my career is most likely over. But there is a minuscule chance it isn't. However, if it isn't , I am going to need some references from some acquaintances. There aren't that many people I can get references from. Some of the people I need- are I am fairly certain due to their religious backgrounds- not in agreement with the gay lifestyle and most likely think it is sinful. I cannot afford to let these people know that I am gay. I may be shortchanging them and not having enough faith. But for example one of them is a devout Moslem from Syria who was at one point, before the Civil War, planning on going back home because he didn't like the permissiveness of American Society, and the other is from a fundamentalist religious background. There may be a few others that it would be better for me if they didn't know also.

While I am glad my immediate family know- mother and siblings, coming out is not a panacea. While it might have relieved 20% of my stress, the other 80% of my problems are still there. And the fact that I was finally able to let my family know, has not really helped me very much in my coming to terms with being gay, being able to make gay friends, ever having a date, or even finding someone to hook up with more frequently than every February 29th. In fact I did my darnedest to try to keep myself from believing that everything would be so much better- so improved once I came out. I failed though. While I knew better, I couldn't keep my emotions from betraying me and was hoping my life would improve. It didn't change much at all. And the emotional let down that I knew would occur was not pleasant at all.

So while this was one giant step for a man, I really hope it improves his life more than it has so far for me.

Gman

STOP WHINING !!!! This thread is about a courageous young black man who has acknowledged at his young age the fact he is gay even though it could cause him professional, personal, and financial problems. Forum members should be applauding him and standing behind him in his upward battle to be himself!!

I fail to see what your personal problems have to do with this thread. ENOUGH!

Boston Bill

I just read the extensive NY Times article based on an interview with Michael Sam. It says that he is "the seventh of eight children...three of his siblings have died, and two brothers are in prison. He was raised mostly by his mother, and he spent some years with another family." With a childhood like that, being gay in the NFL will be a piece of cake.

More power to him! God bless.

I just read the extensive NY Times article based on an interview with Michael Sam. It says that he is "the seventh of eight children...three of his siblings have died, and two brothers are in prison. He was raised mostly by his mother, and he spent some years with another family." With a childhood like that, being gay in the NFL will be a piece of cake.

It never ceases to amaze me how some of these young kids can excel while growing up under such difficult surroundings and family problems....indeed, "More power to him!"

Ah yes, it didn't take long. Are good friends at Westboro Baptist Church have a rally planned.

https://twitter.com/WBCSays/status/432718727314825216/photo/1

I hope to God WBC actually shows up. Because by all accounts, it seems like half the student body at Mizzou knew. When the story broke on ESPN, reports indicate that the most popular student hang out erupted in cheers for Michael. The fact that he came out to his team last fall, 100 guys, and not 1 of them ever said anything, ever posted anything on FB or twitter or any other social media, is just remarkable and a sign of his acceptance. He didn't ask them to keep quiet. They just did. It was no big deal. It would be like them tweeting about a friend coming out as left handed. It wouldn't make a difference.

So given that support by his team and obviously the entire Mizzou community, I say, bring it on WBC. The fact you are from Kansas alone would be enough to get your ass kicked back to Kansas. For this, I doubt they'd find enough parts to do an autopsy. so bring it.

You cannot make this stuff up:

In the last 24 hours the response from NFL players has generally been positive. The only loud chorus of fear and hatred has come from a few NFL executives, the general managers and player personnel guys who put together the teams. All of these comments, 100% of them, have been ANONYMOUS. Try to put your head around this: A 24 year old man has the courage to come out of the closet and say, "I'm gay." The LEADERS of NFL teams, grown men in positions of authority, are so frightened that they might be discovered, that they RUN BACK INTO THE CLOSET that Mr. Sams has just abandoned!

Please excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

Totally Agree! Wish him the Best!

I hope to God WBC actually shows up. Because by all accounts, it seems like half the student body at Mizzou knew. When the story broke on ESPN, reports indicate that the most popular student hang out erupted in cheers for Michael. The fact that he came out to his team last fall, 100 guys, and not 1 of them ever said anything, ever posted anything on FB or twitter or any other social media, is just remarkable and a sign of his acceptance. He didn't ask them to keep quiet. They just did. It was no big deal. It would be like them tweeting about a friend coming out as left handed. It wouldn't make a difference.

So given that support by his team and obviously the entire Mizzou community, I say, bring it on WBC. The fact you are from Kansas alone would be enough to get your ass kicked back to Kansas. For this, I doubt they'd find enough parts to do an autopsy. so bring it.

Archived