One for the opera queens

sydneyboy
This topic is 3417 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly, my two favorite studio recordings of Norma are Sutherland's first where she is vocally near perfection, but dramatically somewhat subdued and the second Callas recording, which while riddled with vocal problems, finds La Divina as simply embodying the dramatic essence of Norma. Essentially the recordings are complete opposites. Bonynge leads a lyrical and mostly uncut version of the score and Serafin a forceful reading with traditional cuts. The supporting casts are a study in contrasts as well. Bonynge had the lighter voices of John Alexander and Marilyn Horne and Serafin the stentorian Franco Corelli and surprisingly Christa Ludwig in a rare foray into Bel Canto.

Incidentally, in the live MET recording referenced above Sutherland is more into the drama while still bring impressive vocally. Still, my desert island Norma is the 1955 live La Scala recording with Callas, Simionato, and del Monaco... a magical evening for Callas where she had her voice under total control.

Getting back to Bonynge it seems strange that a pianist from Down Under would even have a clue about Bel Canto back in those dark days. Let's just say the planets were perfectly aligned and that put him in the right place at the right time and hooked him up with the right woman...

Charlie... I always though that John Alexander was better in lyrical/Bel Canto as opposed to heavier roles. I saw him in Norma (with Sills) and he was just as good (if not better) and also in Fille with Sutherland where he nailed all nine high C's effortlessly. (That was the year that Pavarotti made his big splash at the MET and why Bing did not have him do the entire run is a mystery...but Alexander was still quite good... and much better than the awful Enrico di Giuseppe who incredibly got the broadcast!!!)

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I am reviving this old thread to announce that the divine looking conductor Andrea Battistoni, which prompted me to start the thread, is conducting ''Tosca'' at the Sydney Opera House next month. What have I done to deserve such luck! With an international cast of singers the performances promise to memorable indeed.

Archived