"Boyfriend Tracker" Spyware Controversy

bcohen7719
This topic is 3928 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've used "Find my friends", but mostly just to meet up with someone in someplace crowded and we can just home in on each other. Both people have to install it on their phone. I thought this part of the article was interesting. "A free version leaves the app's icon visible on the target's phone, while a version that costs $2 a month masks the icon." -- so if you can get your hands on someone else's phone, you can install it invisibly on it.

"A free version leaves the app's icon visible on the target's phone, while a version that costs $2 a month masks the icon."

Nice way to price discriminate between people like Poolboy who are using it to find friends and those who are using it to spy.

-- so if you can get your hands on someone else's phone, you can install it invisibly on it.

Most people I know PIN protect their phones now. (Maybe it's different outside of the US.) You'd have to grab the phone pretty quickly after the target uses it.

Archived