RIP Annie Kaylor

leigh.bess.toad
This topic is 3976 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Most of you won't know her. Most from DC won't recognize her name, at least her full name. But she created an institution in DC that has been a part of the gay community for almost 65 years. Ms. Kaylor was the namesake of Annie's Paramount Steakhouse, the site of the DC luncheon every year for the last 3 years. She passed away yesterday evening at the age of 85. Annie's has been a fixture in the gayborhood long before there was a gayborhood. Always welcoming to the LGBT community, long before there LGBT owned restaurants and business in the area. An obituary of sorts is in MetroWeekly today.

http://www.metroweekly.com/news/?ak=8498

RIP Ms. Kaylor. And thank you for such a welcoming place to all.

Thanks for sharing this news and the article. I liked the bit how in the interview she said the customers "who came in for me were all crazy. My brother would say, 'You can tell when Annie's working -- look at this place!''' Gotta love it!

Also, that they were serving gays in the 50s and 60s is a big deal. I understand that during that same time period, if I guy who looked gay went to the bar at the St Francis Hotel in San Francisco, the bartender would pass him a small card that said on it that he was not welcome to be there. I believe this was common in many places. So even if Annie and her sister and staff did not have a name for us guys, the fact that they knew the score and provided a place where we'd be welcome is a big deal.

I notice they are having a memorial next month at the restaurant....

Guest countryboywny

I have many good memories of conversations with Annie. She was a no nonsense lady who was always caring and direct, with a killer sense of humor. I will miss her. God Rest her.

Archived