netflix

jackhammer91406
This topic is 5238 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This may have been discussed before, but I don't remember ( a frequent occurance at my age).

I was at Best Buy last week and while I was looking at DVD's to buy (it's an addiction) one of the sales reps chatted me up about this web site called netflix. You can rent as many DVD's as you want, all sent to your home via mail, with no postage due and you keep the DVD's as long as you want , all for $20 a month. Since they have a free 14 day trial, I decided to try it. The site has a pretty good variety of genres, but I noticed a heading of gay and lesbian, so my first number of choices have been from that category. Between the gay movies on Sundance this month, and the Out day on SHowtime with a gay movie and QAF, and now this net flix site , I have been playing catchup on all the different movies "out" there. This week I saw TRICK (God that Pitco kid is a hottie), the ADVENTURES OF JARED PRICE, THIS BOYS LIFE2, and last night a french film called COME UNDONE (which had some very graphic content). I have a number of other selections on the way before my trial period ends this Friday including WILD REEDS.

My question for anyone is, are there some other titles I should be scanning for? I have noticed that many of the older gay themed movies end so unhappily as though gays are destined to have an unhappy life. This is somewhat disconcerting, but I imagine the more recent gay themed films are not quite so down in perspective.

Any comments or suggestions?

Guest Kenny021

Am also a member of Netflix and have been for over a year....very good service re: getting and sending back DVDs. A dvd I got from them is one made in the late 70s: "A Very Natural Thing".. amazing how good it was and had a happy ending.

I've noticed that if I want to see a particular film, I do the "search" option, rather than going to the "genre"...many many films I have rented ARE NOT in their listings but they still have them.

I'm a netflix member too. FABULOUS service! I love that it's absolutely NO hassle. They even send out DVD's in postage-paid return mailers. No fiddling with stamps or rummaging for packing materials.

As for titles, you've hit the right ones. ;-) Another thing you can do is surf Amazon.com, which has a pretty good selection of LGBT titles, and when you find one that sounds interesting add it to your Netflix queue. I've found that approach good because Amazon often includes viewer comments with their listings.

He's also the hapless courier on that FedEx or UPS (forget which) commercial where they hand him a package saying "Get this to Omaha" and he hops in the car, only to realize it's Fred Omaha on the 3rd floor. :+

Guest pshaw

Some titles:

Happy Together (with the late, lovely Leslie Cheung)

Don't Tell Anyone

Victim

Sacred Silence

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Our Lady of the Assassins

The Adventures of Felix

Drift

Lilies

Borstal Boy

That's the Way I Like It

Mandragora

The Einstein of Sex

Days

Like It Is

Circuit

Fluffer

Under One Roof

I have been very happy with Netflix, but you should be aware that there is a similar service called NumberSlate - http://www.numberslate.com -which has a more extensive selection of G+L titles. They also carry adult titles, but you need to already be a member to see the titles so I don't know how many gay titles are carried.

I just checked this site out. While their process seems pretty simple the selection seems kind of limited. I would think that the titles mentioned here and many more could be found at most Hollywood Videos and you pay only 3.50 or less per week.

Maybe I am missing something about Netflix .. if you're in a isolated area I guess it makes sense or if you don't drive / have a car yet Jack if I recall you're in LA area :) .

Huey,

You are right, I am in L.A. I took the free 14 day trial at netflix to see what they had and how the system worked. I am a little more comfortable ordering gay titles by mail than in person. (I am still a work in progress I guess). I did rent some gay titles at the blockbuster in St. Augustine FLA while on vacation, but I was not in my home town. The netflix selection is a little limited for general releases and of course no adult (read explicit ) titles. The service was great however and most DVD's came the next day and took one day to return. All postage is paid both ways, unlike the gas you spend going to and coming from the local rental center. Anyway, just tried it for the 14 days. I am now looking at the site that the other poster mentioned and taking their free trial for two weeks.

This kind of service is probably not for everyone, but it was comfortable for me.

How are you settling into your new digs? The weather up there can get a little depressing if I remember. But the coffee is great.

:p

Jack hopefully I will be moving on soon :) , though all is going well up here ... I do gloomy well :) . Actually, the other site mentioned seems to have a better selection, I might even give them a try. I understand what you mean about renting gay themed films in person. It can be trying at times.

I used to go to the Blockbuster (I think it was Blockbuster) across from Tower Records on the Strip. I mean if one can't be comfortable renting gay stuff in the heart of WEHO I guess there really is no alternative except mail order :D .

Guest Kenny021

"

" I just checked this site out. While their process seems pretty simple the selection seems kind of limited. I would think that the titles mentioned here and many more could be found at most Hollywood Videos and you pay only 3.50 or less per week.

Maybe I am missing something about Netflix

What you are missing about Netflix is that , as previously mentioned, USE THE SEARCH function to find films...their catagories are somewhat limited (I think they couldn't possibly list every one of the 14,000 DVDs they claim to have)...USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. Hollywood Videos allows you to rent 3 videos per week for $3.50??? I DON'T THINK SO. I think it's $3.50 per DVD. At three per week, that amounts to $10.50 per week. For $20 per month, Netflix theoretically sends you 3 per week (or as many as you can view and send back).That amounts to approximately 12 videos per month for $20 OR less than $1.70 per DVD.

I'm also a Netflix member and love the service. You'll find many gay and lesbian titles classified as "foreign films."

Two that I've seen this week:

"Water Drops on Burning Rocks" is a French adaptation of a Fassbinder play about the stormy relationship between a 19-year-old kid and a 50-year-old insurance salesman. Subtitled in English.

"Burnt Money" ("Plata Quemada") is a very unusual flick about a pair of gay lovers who call themselves "the twins" and hire themselves out to criminal thugs as gang members. Filmed in Argentina, the flick is also subtitled in English.

Have fun

:-)

>I'm also a Netflix member and love the service. You'll find

>many gay and lesbian titles classified as "foreign films."

>

>Two that I've seen this week:

>

>"Water Drops on Burning Rocks" is a French adaptation of a

>Fassbinder play about the stormy relationship between a

>19-year-old kid and a 50-year-old insurance salesman.

>Subtitled in English.

>

It's nice to see you on here Losgatan, it seems as if it has been a while. I saw the above film on Sundance or IFC and it is in my top 20 gay themed movies. The interaction between the two is brilliant :) .

Guest pshaw

Add "But I'm a Cheerleader" to your Netflix list. It spoofs the ex-gay movement fairly well, with Cathy Moriarty as the head of the "cure" camp True Directions and RuPaul Charles as the counselor. It could have been better - it starts off with a John Waters feel (Mink Stole and Bud Cort as Mom and Dad) but gets a bit squishy toward the end - but it still is much better than many of the amateurish made-for-gay comedies and dramas rushing quickly to video.

I have just received (but have not yet seen) "Boy's Choir" from Netflix, a Japanese film about a boys choir and a "special friendship" that develops between two of the boys.

Losgatan is quite right about Sundance Channel. It's been doing itself proud during gay pride month. Some of the gay-themed titles apart from "Water Drops on Burning Rocks" and "Burnt Money" are:

East Palace, West Palace

Lan Yu

L.I.E.

The Adventures of Sebastian Cole

Big Eden

The Hanging Garden

The Delta

Wilde

The Sum of Us

Gods and Monsters

The Music Lovers

La Cage aux Folles