RICHARD WAGNER'S 200TH BIRTHDAY May 22

ragazzolupo
This topic is 4009 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A friend of mine in London emailed me that the BBC has been playing Wagner all day long, and even though he loves Wagner (he's been to Bayreuth a couple of times), he's getting pretty tired of it.

The challenge there as Rossini said would be to catch only the "beautiful moments" of which there are many, and avoid the "bad quarters of an hour"... regarding which some would say there are more than a few as well!

In any event, genius usually breeds controversy... and Wagner is certainly no exception...

If we stay on opera, I could listen to Verdi all day. But, my real choice would be the Ella Fitzgerald song books from 1950s and 1960s. Ella recorded so many live albums, they would be very enjoyable as well--especially "Ella In Berlin," where she forgot the lyrics to "Mac the Knife," and made up new lyrics in the spot.

Archived