The Americans, Season 1

operalover21
This topic is 4041 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This just finished it's first season on FX and I just started watching it last night. Terrific show and very interesting concept, good acting, great writing. It seems to me the only flaw is that I don't for one minute believe that doughy Matthew Rhys can actually do all the physical stuff presented on the show. I've only seen the first two episodes but in those he snaps a guy's neck with his bare hands, chases down a KGB operative and single-handedly takes him down when the other guy has a knife and he doesn't, beats ups and stabs a musclebound white guy bully twice his size, and breaks the arm and takes down a 300 lb black man. Seriously? Matthew Rhys? For a supposedly highly trained military KGB officer he has the body of a wimp. I wonder ... didn't the producers think they ought to get the guy in the gym before they started filming so that the physical side of the role would look somewhat plausible?

This just finished it's first season on FX and I just started watching it last night. Terrific show and very interesting concept, good acting, great writing. It seems to me the only flaw is that I don't for one minute believe that doughy Matthew Rhys can actually do all the physical stuff presented on the show. I've only seen the first two episodes but in those he snaps a guy's neck with his bare hands, chases down a KGB operative and single-handedly takes him down when the other guy has a knife and he doesn't, beats ups and stabs a musclebound white guy bully twice his size, and breaks the arm and takes down a 300 lb black man. Seriously? Matthew Rhys? For a supposedly highly trained military KGB officer he has the body of a wimp. I wonder ... didn't the producers think they ought to get the guy in the gym before they started filming so that the physical side of the role would look somewhat plausible?

I watched this series during its season. When it began, I wasn't sure I'd continue, but I was surprised at how my interest grew as the show progressed. I did get a bit tired of some of the relationship see-saws toward the end.

As for Rhys's appearance - he's supposed to blend-in as the unnoticeable middle-aged suburbanite. I think he does that admirably. If he LOOKED like he was capable of all those things, he wouldn't be a very successful sleeper agent, IMO.

I watched this series during its season. When it began, I wasn't sure I'd continue, but I was surprised at how my interest grew as the show progressed. I did get a bit tired of some of the relationship see-saws toward the end.

As for Rhys's appearance - he's supposed to blend-in as the unnoticeable middle-aged suburbanite. I think he does that admirably. If he LOOKED like he was capable of all those things, he wouldn't be a very successful sleeper agent, IMO.

Oh, I get that but then they shouldn't have him do all those physical things which he clearly isn't capable of. Just finished episode 3 and there he beats up two big bodyguards just using a briefcase. I mean, c'mon. It's ridiculous. He doesn't have to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger but he shouldn't look like a middle-aged accountant ... afterall, the wife is clearly a ripped physically fit woman who seems capable of the stuff she does ... he's just a joke.

I'm enjoying it so far but think it would be far better with a more plausible male lead. Keri Russell sure is evil!!!!!

Oh, I get that but then they shouldn't have him do all those physical things which he clearly isn't capable of. Just finished episode 3 and there he beats up two big bodyguards just using a briefcase. I mean, c'mon. It's ridiculous. He doesn't have to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger but he shouldn't look like a middle-aged accountant ... afterall, the wife is clearly a ripped physically fit woman who seems capable of the stuff she does ... he's just a joke.

I'm enjoying it so far but think it would be far better with a more plausible male lead. Keri Russell sure is evil!!!!!

Well, we can agree to disagree. :)

I also enjoyed (as always) Margo Martindale.

Well, we can agree to disagree. :)

I also enjoyed (as always) Margo Martindale.

She's a goddess. Always love her no matter what she does. She was EPIC in JUSTIFIED.

Not sure how one can believe that Matthew Rhys is remotely capable of the physical stuff presented on the show. It just isn't possible or plausible in any real world.

She's a goddess. Always love her no matter what she does. She was EPIC in JUSTIFIED.

Not sure how one can believe that Matthew Rhys is remotely capable of the physical stuff presented on the show. It just isn't possible or plausible in any real world.

Well it isn't real. It is TV and even reality TV isn't real. It seems that this is so large a distraction for you that you are not able to suspend belief. We need a computer program that allows us to substitute our image for a character for the actor being used. Probably will be done in the near future.

Well it isn't real. It is TV and even reality TV isn't real. It seems that this is so large a distraction for you that you are not able to suspend belief. We need a computer program that allows us to substitute our image for a character for the actor being used. Probably will be done in the near future.

I don't suspend disbelief when specific times and events are being portrayed. I would no more "suspend disbelief" if they had a white actor playing Martin Luther King. Plus, after several episodes, I don't find this actor appealing -- on any level. Rather whiny and wimpy.

Episode 6. Very rarely has a show "jumped the shark" this early. They have the Keri Russell character half beat her KGB boss to death -- with NO consequences. Yea, right. Now I can understand why critics were so mixed on this show. I'll see how it plays out but can't see myself sticking through it for another season

They also seem to have the two main characters go through major relationship shifts in EACH episode. Really? And they're not even gay :)

I don't suspend disbelief when specific times and events are being portrayed. I would no more "suspend disbelief" if they had a white actor playing Martin Luther King. Plus, after several episodes, I don't find this actor appealing -- on any level. Rather whiny and wimpy.

Episode 6. Very rarely has a show "jumped the shark" this early. They have the Keri Russell character half beat her KGB boss to death -- with NO consequences. Yea, right. Now I can understand why critics were so mixed on this show. I'll see how it plays out but can't see myself sticking through it for another season

They also seem to have the two main characters go through major relationship shifts in EACH episode. Really? And they're not even gay :)

Don't say 'no consequence' before you've watched the entire season.

But I'm with you on the relationship see-sawing - reminds me (painfully) of the Meredith Gray/McDreamy back-and-forth on Grays Anatomy a few seasons back. (And several other relatationships on that show).

Don't say 'no consequence' before you've watched the entire season.

But I'm with you on the relationship see-sawing - reminds me (painfully) of the Meredith Gray/McDreamy back-and-forth on Grays Anatomy a few seasons back. (And several other relatationships on that show).

Oh, gosh, I couldn't watch THAT show.

Well, I should have said no IMMEDIATE consequences. I believe the KGB would have killed her instantly for what she did. So I didn't find that realistic.

Yes, the relationship see saws are a bit much. Lazy writers? Surely, there must be more to show than that over and over again.

And this show makes Joe McCarthy look right: every level of the US government and business and science is infiltrated with Soviet spies and traitors ...

I was hoping for something deeper along the lines of JUSTIFIED or DEXTER ... but it's just mindless fun instead.

Archived