Hotel Dorean - Montreal

RobPA
This topic is 7672 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Would appreciate any info/reviews from anyone who has stayed at the Hotel Dorian, the hotel adjacent to Taboo. The Gouverneur is where I usually stay but it isn't available for my next trip. The Dorian's website looks ok and they do have rooms available (at about 1/2 the rate of the Gouverneur). Or does anyone have suggestions for any other hotels? I prefer walking distance to Taboo and Campus. I'm not interested in B&B's, I've tried a few, including one in Montreal, they're just not my thing. Thanks in advance.

I also usually stay at the Gouverneur, and I am a Club Member, but like you, have decided to "look around." I was in Montreal May 13-16 and stayed at the Gouverneur, but also checked out several other places. Here is "my personal read" on some of them.

Hotel Dorian: The location is great if you are a Taboo fan. The price is right, BUT, the rooms are small, there is no elevator, and at the moment not "climatised" or air-conditioned---that should be installed, I was told, but when? I worry about fire and worried that it was not an easy place to evacuate. I did not stay there but when I asked to check out the rooms, the room looked clean and well taken care of, but definitely three or four levels below the Gouvenuer.

I have stayed at the Taj Mahal, which is a smaller hotel, on Rue St. Hubert---about a block and a half up from the Gouvenuer---just past the bus station on Maissoneuve. The rooms there are about $75+ a night, and if you ask for a room on the St. Hubert side, very tolerable---the rooms in the back, can be noisy because of the bus station. There is a restuarant in the basement---not too bad for breakfast, but not up to the G's standard buffet. I brought back one "date" there a couple of years ago, and had no problems, but it is not as anonymous as the G.

I have also stayed at the Hotel Berri, which is on Rue Berri, about one block west of St. Hubert, and on Rue Berri, just off Ste. Catherine. It's a good place, but not cheap--nearly the same rates as the G. There is very limited parking, and there is a restaurant attached, which isn't bad, for breakfast.

Both of these hotels are within easy walking distance of Campus, and Stock, and to me, in the spring and summer, of L'Adonis and Taboo---but then I enjoy walking along Ste. Catherine and ogling all the "eye candy."

I also checked out the Hotel Bourbon, in my quest for a cheaper place to stay. It's a great location, but I worry about the security, the doors of the room seemed very flimsy and easy to get into. There is no air-conditioning, I don't think. It is the kind of place where johns would take "tricks" for a quick whatever.

Hope some/all of this helps. Have fun. You might want to call G. again and ask to be notified if they have any cancellations. They have a policy of NOT filling all their rooms, and will at the last minute let you have a room.

Buzz

Samai139 makes a *very* good point about air conditioning.

I don't know if you have ever been in Montreal in summer and stayed in a room that did not have air conditioning ...

I have and it isn't an experience that I want to repeat.

Based on the above copious submitals, if The Goveneur were not available with its excellent safe parking garage and good standard room layouts and it friendly to "guests" attitude, I'd go to the Hotel Burri. The hotel adjacent to Taboo, where I spend qaulity time, is too tenuous for me. Have a good time, let us know about your accmmodations and how the guys look for this season. :)

I checked out the Hotel Berri one time,very dank-musty smell,and the rooms are quite small.I fear they,like the Gouverneur,are taking advantage of their location to give less than full value for your traveling dollar.

I(with encouragement of some members of this board)went to biddingfortravel.com and used their priceline link to book a great room at the Holiday Inn Select near the convention center.Great room,much larger than the Gouverneur,better quality,for about 40% less.

While it is true that most of the hotels are a bit of a hike from the village the subway system makes for a short,painless(I like cruising the boys on the train)trip,or a taxi is $7 tops.

If you reallllllly want to stay in the village,might I suggest the Presidance in the Crown Plaza?These are apartments(run by a seperate company-so you don't get priority points)Very nicely turned out,and much better value for the buck.

The Aubergelle,while a B&B,is run by very nice guys who don't care if you have Visitors(unlike a lot of the prissy B&B's)Great location on amherst(around the corner and up a block from the Stock and the Campus)I do not know if they have air conditioning.

By the way,the Dorion rents rooms by the hour,do you really want to stay in a hotel that rents rooms by the hour?

I've stayed at the Dorian several times over the last seven years. The rooms are adequate (the rooms are about $70-75 CDN), and if you want your room cleaned during your stay you need to ask. As I recall, the AC is from a window unit. Ask for a room on the second floor (which is actually the third floor); the first floor rooms are above Taboo, so they can be a little noisy. If you don't mind sharing a bathroom and want to stay in a beautiful guest house, try the Ruta Bagage. It's one block north of Ste Catherine and a block or two west of the Bourbon complex.

Archived