They said NOTHING about this at orientation.

Chris Eisenhower
This topic is 4087 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well if Huff post could get their page to load right...I could finish reading the rest.

Otherwise, don't take those 'lists' too seriously. Brooklyn is more expensive than Manhattan? DC most expensive to live? I think that goes to the Bay Area. On my 1st visit they had something on the front page of the Sunday SF chronical about someone renting out a KITCHEN for $500/month.

I bet those houses that are pictured in SF go for a billion dollars. Everytime I see a picture of SF, I see those houses with the city in the background. I was supposed to have been there this moment!

Not sure if this report is accurate. I own my place so i'm not sure but my friends who live down the street in a 1 bedroom in chelsea, pay about 3900. I don't think this is out of line for the neighborhood. Studios are around 2600; while 2 bedrooms are 4700. Just a regular doorman bldg with not really many amenities.

I can't get the page to load either...however, I agree with Joey, take all this with a "grain of salt." Every week there is a new survey. Many have listed San Fran and Manhattan as one of the most expensive places to live. AND there are areas in New York state that are off the charts. You can live reasonably well almost anywhere. You just have to think all your possiblilies through. Don't stress, just find ways to live within a reasonable budget.

I can't get the page to load either...however, I agree with Joey, take all this with a "grain of salt." Every week there is a new survey. Many have listed San Fran and Manhattan as one of the most expensive places to live. AND there are areas in New York state that are off the charts. You can live reasonably well almost anywhere. You just have to think all your possiblilies through. Don't stress, just find ways to live within a reasonable budget.

One of these days they are going to have NYC and SF as cheapest place to live, by factoring in that you can walk and not need to pay for entertainment if you just open your window and have a pair of binoculars, and if you make 6 figures it'd be as cheap as living in the most affordable city in the country :rolleyes:

But 3,900 a month? How many clients would I need to see per month to pay that? Sucks that many of the most popular destinations for us are also the most expensive. I've lived in Miami which is on the list, I've seen many of my friends barely getting by. They blow through money like water and borrow, borrow, borrow. Non of them can afford the crazy rents so they live with parents (who bought in the 90s when it was cheap) or roommates.

Oh, I'm not stressed…I just thought it was funny that I pick a place to move and suddenly it becomes the "most expensive." My rent and what I get for it are actually pretty reasonable, and anyone who has been to my place can tell you it's not bad at all. Although I was about to have a stroke at Harris-Teeter the other night when I went grocery shopping. Jesus.

...Although I was about to have a stroke at Harris-Teeter the other night when I went grocery shopping. Jesus.

I stopped by the Jewel-Osco near my friend's place just outside of Chicago while I was visiting. I forgot how much groceries cost in really big cities. Funny thing is the same items cost 10 - 15 percent less at the same chain out in the sticks where my brother lives. Even the lower-cost "fresh markets" are expensive.

I stopped by the Jewel-Osco near my friend's place just outside of Chicago while I was visiting. I forgot how much groceries cost in really big cities. Funny thing is the same items cost 10 - 15 percent less at the same chain out in the sticks where my brother lives. Even the lower-cost "fresh markets" are expensive.

Believe it or not...I've been able to keep my grocery bill at about $60-80 bucks per week since 2007. The key is a good rewards card. I buy whatever is on sale with the rewards card which can get many good brand names like Kashi, Tyson, Florida's Natural Orange Juice, etc. But that $60 is Excluding the GNC/supplement purchases. And alcohol since they don't sell at grocery stores in Colorado.

I also don't buy everything at 1 store. I have certain things I know are cheaperat Target, Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and PetsMart. I'll go to all 4 in a day to complete my shopping list. I don't stock up or buy in bulk or store things in the freezer. That's for families. I see single guys buying a bunch of crap in the store and their milk goes bad because they had enough money to afford 5 gallons and the last one expired 2 weeks ago. The salad dressing expired back in July.

You know I have me a Wegmans card. They are supposed to be building one just down the street, so we can go there when you come to see me.

:)

I hope I don't have to wait for a Wegmans opening to come see you. I know your calendar is full, but sheesh!! :p

Not sure if this report is accurate. I own my place so i'm not sure but my friends who live down the street in a 1 bedroom in chelsea, pay about 3900. I don't think this is out of line for the neighborhood. Studios are around 2600; while 2 bedrooms are 4700. Just a regular doorman bldg with not really many amenities.

Well, they're using sleight of word. What they said was According to ZipRealty, the D.C. area's median housing prices were 16.78 times the median income. So what they mean in this context about least affordable is the ratio of the median housing price to the median income. It's not what most of us would think of when we mean "least affordable." Since there aren't a lot of big incomes in DC (Uncle Sam may provide decent pensions, but the government salaries are low), it makes the place less affordable in that sense. Of course, with a median home price of $3 million in Hillsborough CA, that city would be one of the least affordable on the planet (according to my definition), but the people who live there tend to be very rich. Likewise, there are probably a lot of high incomes in Manhattan and Bel Air, so those would be other places I would consider to be quite unaffordable but what would be considered more affordable according to that particular definition.

Archived