$10 seats at the Joyce

Kevin Slater
This topic is 2690 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've been to the Joyce Theater in Chelsea many times, and have always loved the venue. I've long been curious about their much-advertised $10 seats and so I gave them a shot. The ticket ends up being $11 (what, I'm a Rockefeller?!) and I sat in the center of the first row. That offers great legroom and a fine view of the stage, so long as they're not lying on the floor. Today's performance by the Martha Graham Dance Company was excellent and quite homoerotic. And I didn't object to seeing those sexy men up very close. It appears cheap tickets are available to all performances, and you can buy day-of (I think) or well in advance. Best seats in the house, by the way, only cost $39 to 59 depending on the performance.

http://gaycitynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SOLOMONS-graham-mayorIS.jpg

Kevin Slater

• 2 weeks later...

Dance

I really enjoy dance but have yet to jump in at the Joyce. I just never know what to go to. It's a plus if there are hot guys showing off their hot bodies. If there is anyone who watches what is there, let me know and I'll start going. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I just saw Pilobolus at the Joyce. Bondage, a stripper pole, water slide and a surprise performance by Penn & Teller. Actually not my favorite dancing I've seen there, but the hodgepodge of entertainment was well worth the price of admission (well, my $10 at least :)). Pilobolus is there until August 4.

http://www.joyce.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Pilobolus_1.jpg

Kevin Slater

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Tonight I saw Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo (The Trocks), an all-male drag ballet corps. From wikipedia: The dancers portray both male and female roles in a humorous style that combines parodies of ballet, posing and physical comedy with "straighter" pieces intended to show off the performers' technical skills. Much of the humor is in seeing male dancers en travesti; performing roles usually reserved to females, wearing tutus and dancing en pointe.

They were wonderful, camp humor couple with amazing skill and obvious dedication. They are doing two programs at the Joyce until January 4, program A featuring their famously hilarious rendition of Swan Lake as well as a very sexy duet.

Kevin Slater

I saw Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo many years ago (including Swan Lake) and laughed my head off. (They're also technically astute in addition to being funny.) I'd been wondering recently if the troupe still existed (the Matthew Bourne clip I just posted reminded me) but didn't think to google them. If I have time, I might see if I can get a ticket to one of their performances at the Joyce.

Saw Program B yesterday afternoon. It was wonderful! I had forgotten how entertaining this ballet troupe can be. Size 13 toe shoes are pretty hard to fill but these "gals" do it with all the class and humor they can muster. It's a terrific program and the audience loved them. Even their curtain calls are funny. Can't wait till Saturday when I rerun to see Program A.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived