Remember the gaiety?

McLeanspider
This topic is 4029 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Oh, Rapaz. A new era is born.

The Gaiety was the premier male strip club in NYC for years. Many of the posters on this site were regulars. I for one miss it still.

Here's the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiety_Theatre,_New_York_(male_burlesque)

I'll say... The club closed when I was 17 so I was probably in grade school during the club's peak. Seems like it was a great place, though.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was younger and almost-innocent, I briefly dated one of the strippers, Marc. Looked a lot like Paul Hopkins who played Mouse in the Tales of the City sequels (of course, this was before the Maupin novels). I didn't go often, but once he arranged for me to hang out -- no pun intended -- backstage and I fluffed him. Booze and more flowed behind the scenes.... Thanks for a bit of nostalgia :)

Rapaz, the address is given in the Wikipedia link, but if that doesn't mean much it was literally right beside the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre on 46th. On the street level it was just a door with an awning above, a statue of Atlas(?)above, and steps up to the theatre. As noted in the article the last HoJo's in NYC was on the corner of B'way and 46th, then the Gaiety, then the Lunt Fontanne. Today, there is a clothing store there I think, Eagle Outfitters(?). I walk past it pretty often when in NYC, but don't pay much attention. A lot of the guys stayed at the Paramount right down the street; for about the last 10 years nothing happened in the Gaiety, but a short walk down the street....

Archived