Another scam type

Chris Eisenhower
This topic is 4121 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There's a scam going around from someone who is pretending to be a forum member, stranded in a foreign country and in need of money. I'm posting this because the person who sent it to me didn't seem to recognize the scam type from the get-go.

"I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about our trip, because it was impromptu. we had to be in Manila Philippines for a program. The program was successful, but our journey has turned sour. we misplaced our wallet and cell phone on our way back to the hotel we lodge in after we went for sight seeing. The wallet contained all the valuables we had. Now, our passport is in custody of the hotel management pending when we make payment.

I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few people to run to now. i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a loan of $2,000 from you. this will enable me sort our hotel bills and get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford in assisting me with. I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return. let me know if you can be of any assistance. Please, let me know soonest. Thanks so much.

(name of forum member)

(212) 469-xxxx"

...i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a loan of $2,000 from you. this will enable me sort our hotel bills and get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford in assisting me with. I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return. let me know if you can be of any assistance. Please, let me know soonest. Thanks so much.

(name of forum member)

(212) 469-xxxx"

That's when you suggest he go to the hotel's front desk and ask if they offer pre-approval of the hotel's frequent flyer credit card. Hotel bill paid and 2,000 frequent flyer points.

What kind of an idiot would fall for this and give a total stranger $2000?

Every year 50 000 people from all over the world fall for this type of scam.

[video=youtube;_n047bHWFjo]

In addition the "sender" is not a total stranger. He's a Forum member and several people know him on a personal level.

Archived