Are you looking to get fucked like an animal?

Rick Munroe
This topic is 4136 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hard to believe it's 15 years old' date=' too. Music really started to suck shortly after that point.[/quote']

YouTube has several complete NIN concerts. Too bad they were never released on DVD. At least I can stop lookng for my Nine Inch Nails concerts on VHS tape. I remember watching one of the long concert tapes at least 20 times. Great at bringing sex into live on-stage music.

YouTube has several complete NIN concerts. Too bad they were never released on DVD. At least I can stop lookng for my Nine Inch Nails concerts on VHS tape. I remember watching one of the long concert tapes at least 20 times. Great at bringing sex into live on-stage music.

This has remained one of my favorite videos ever on YouTube. I love when the crowd is jumping up and down in unison at :16. And Trent Reznor is so hot now.

[video=youtube;6qlUFKFHNIU]

Hard to believe it's 15 years old, too. Music really started to suck shortly after that point.

It is hard to believe this song is 15 years old. I agree with your assessment that many (most?) songs released after the mid-1990's suck, but I didn't care for a substantial portion of music made prior to and during that time. (Milli Vanilli, anyone?)

PS: I hate the break this to you, but you are starting to sound like our parents' generation. :eek:

Extraordinary song, breathtaking video. What a band. I remember when Head Like A Hole hit MTV. It really felt like a major shift, and then of course Nirvana came along shortly after, and although both remarkable bands are QUITE different, they both in their own way kinda killed heavy metal. Head Like a Hole, 23 years ago. Unbelievable.

As Generation X ages we are absolutely going to start sounding old. The best way to do that is to say, "They don't make songs/movies/TV/Art/Anything like they used to." In terms of music, I actually do believe that indie music now is at least as good as it was when were were in our teens and twenties, it's simply that the finding the good stuff is a lot more difficult, and not simply because we are, by nature of being older, no longer the target audience.

Radio stations are no good. They will not help you. They once did, college stations and the like, they won't now. Even "indie" stations on Satellite are pretty bad.

If you want to stuff iTunes with quality indie music you require a dropbox account so that you can share, legally and responsibly, albums and tips with just a couple friends, and you really need to take advantage of algorithms within Slacker, Spotify and, I suppose, Pandora, as well as Youtube and iTunes, that suggest bands based on songs/bands you've liked/favorited previously. In other words: No Age is an AMAZING band. And when you "favorite" No Age on a streaming service or purchase No Age on iTunes or watch No Age concerts on youtube you will be encouraged to listen to, say Cloud Nothings. And after Cloud Nothings, it may recommend Wavves. Etc.

No Age: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2007/11/19/071119crmu_music_frerejones?currentPage=all

Friends and Algorithms are the new College-Alt stations.

I wanna FUCK YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL!

PS: I hate the break this to you, but you are starting to sound like our parents' generation. :eek:

That's fine with me. I'd rather sound like my parents than some of these foolish twenty somethings of today. Besides, my parents listen to hip hop (current stuff, not old school). :)

In terms of music, I actually do believe that indie music now is at least as good as it was when were were in our teens and twenties, it's simply that the finding the good stuff is a lot more difficult, and not simply because we are, by nature of being older, no longer the target audience.

Radio stations are no good. They will not help you. They once did, college stations and the like, they won't now. Even "indie" stations on Satellite are pretty bad.

If you want to stuff iTunes with quality indie music you require a dropbox account so that you can share, legally and responsibly, albums and tips with just a couple friends, and you really need to take advantage of algorithms within Slacker, Spotify and, I suppose, Pandora, as well as Youtube and iTunes, that suggest bands based on songs/bands you've liked/favorited previously. In other words: No Age is an AMAZING band. And when you "favorite" No Age on a streaming service or purchase No Age on iTunes or watch No Age concerts on youtube you will be encouraged to listen to, say Cloud Nothings. And after Cloud Nothings, it may recommend Wavves. Etc.

No Age: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2007/11/19/071119crmu_music_frerejones?currentPage=all

Friends and Algorithms are the new College-Alt stations.

I remember when Grunge first hit the scene thinking how limited a form it was. I was right -- it peaked pretty quickly. I often wonder what Kirk Cobain might have been doing musically in another five years or ten, and if it would have been unique or closer to the mainstream. R.E.M. and the Red Hots were, each in their own right, fascinating to me when they first hit the scene. Each predate NIN by quite a few years, paving the way for the Alternative or College Radio classification. Like so many bands labeled as "alternative" each became more and more mainstream as they developed serious chops from years of touring, and as each became more self-aware and tried to consciously reinvent their sound over and over. Post-peak Red Hots and REM sound, to me, like 70's album rock (which I loved). The terms Alternative and College Radio became meaningless pretty quickly; to me the terms morphed into "New(er) bands playing music we'll listen to regardless of style because they're not old bands."

Pandora once had a very cool algorithm, associating songs based on characteristics. If you selected a song with prominent jangly rhythm guitar or complex vocal arrangements you'd be pleasantly surprised by a variety of songs with like characteristics. Later they pumped in more obvious genre generalizations by artist rather than song. For example, if I play a sophisticated, moody, smoothly arranged Thomas Dolby song from 2012 within a few minutes Pandora will drag me back to 80's synth-pop. I'm left wondering whether any of these algorithms are any better than Amazon's sales-driven algorithms. I've lost patience with Spotify, but eventually I'll have to give it another try.

Archived