Chicago restaurant/bar suggestions?

Zapped
This topic is 4159 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi--

My boyfriend and I are on a two-night impromptu trip to Chicago, staying near Wacker and Michigan. Looking for restaurant suggestions. He's from Beijing and loves very good service. We both like all kinds of food; neither of us brought formal clothes, because when we left the house this afternoon we thought we'd most likely be spending two nights in Indianapolis during a blizzard. Any thoughts, especially of places in walking distance, would be most appreciated.

Tomorrow (12.26) night, he'd love to visit some gay spots--any suggestions for a Wednesday, the night after Christmas? And, btw, he's 22, I'm (a youthful or so I tell myself) 54.

Thanks!

As far as visiting some gay spots - there is really nothing in that area. I'm sure you have heard of our "Boystown", a mile long stretch of gay bars, restaurants, and shops. It is a short cab ride away. If you have your cab driver drop you off at the corner of Belmont and Halsted St., you can walk north on Halsted for about a mile and "be gay" to your heart's content! Notice the lighted gay rainbow pylons all along your walk. (Our past mayors have been very supportive of our gay district). Enjoy!

For dining reasonably close to you I'd suggest Vermillion (fusion Indian/Latin), Topolobampo (Rick Bayless' masterful Mexican food), or one of my near north favorites, Bistrot Zinc (French, and usually tourist-free). Spiaggia is a fine choice indeed, but check with them as I think you may need a jacket for dinner.

Very little in chicago is formal, so don't worry about that.

Already a lot of good suggestions. MK just north of Chicago Ave. on Franklin is an old favorite, good service and good food.

South on Michigan are Henri and The Gage side by side, and a bit further south at Balboa in the Blackstone is Mercat, all good.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Right now, he's looking up Chinese places--he wants the best (and most authentic) in Chicago; he hasn't been home to Beijing for a year. And the Chinese food where we live (small midwest town), well, isn't.

Yeah Deej, that closed a long time ago. The other Gentry in Boystown hung on for a while, but after the owner died, it was mismanaged and folded. The Gentry on State might have reopened as a bar called "Downtown Bar", but I'm not sure if it is a gay bar. The Gentry in Boystown is now called Scarlet and does a good business with the college crowd.

Probably won't be much help but......

It's been over 40 years since I lived just outside the city of Chicago where I was raised. One of my favorite memories was going to a famous restaurant on the south side of Chicago called Club El Bianco. It is probably closed now.

They served Italian food and it was great. They had a special dinner that took several hours to complete and was served in a formal 6 or 7 courses including your entree, from soup, antipasto cart, salad,fruit course (an entire pineapple covered with bite sized other fruits on sticks) cheese and nuts cart and the dessert-pastry cart and ice cream. Spectacular food and presentation. One of those great old restaurants that your family always used for events celebrations.

OKAY, so it is of no use for you on your trip but your thread brought back some great memories. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Gay spots: I'd take him to Steamworks. Can't get any gayer than that. :)

That might have been fun. But he is addicted to monogamy, sensitive and at times prone to jealousy. It is odd that I, a product of the sexual revolution, have ended up with partners into monogamy. Always thought I wanted an open relationship, but never been in one that worked. And if I'm going to be monogamous, I couldn't find a better or more beautiful and loving guy to be monogamous with.

A belated thanks for all the suggestions (can't believe it's almost a week since I was on here). I got in the mood for seafood, and we walked to Catch 35, recommended by the concierge at the hotel. It has a lot of good reviews on Yelp; if I write one, it will not be among the favorable ones. It was clearly an off night, starting with the smudged wine glass and pretty much going down from there. The desserts were good, at least.

We were tired and didn't get to Boystown; maybe another time. And then he and his Chinese friends found some great places in Chinatown.

Jackhammer, I loved reading about El Bianco.

Thanks again, everyone.

Archived