Action MOVEMBER: Grow a Moustache

Steven_Draker
This topic is 3477 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/9734/rickydv.jpg

"During the month of November each year, Movember asks men across the world to grow a moustache with the aim of raising vital funds and awareness for men’s health issues. Movember moustaches were first grown in Australia back in 2003 and since that time word of Movember and its men’s health messages have spread across the globe. Movember currently runs official campaigns in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland, the US, Canada, South Africa, Finland, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Spain, Hong Kong, Singapore, France, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland and Austria. In addition, Movember is aware of supportive Mo Bros and Mo Sistas dotted around the world; all of whom have played an important role in growing Movember into what it is today.

Registering at movember.com, guys then start Movember 1st with a clean-shaven face and for the remainder of the month dedicate themselves to growing a fine moustache. Supported by the women in their lives, known as Mo Sistas, Movember Mo Bros raise funds by seeking sponsorship for their Mo growing efforts. At the end of the month, it’s traditional for Mo Bros and Mo Sistas to celebrate their awareness and fundraising efforts by throwing a Movember party and awarding the highly sought after titles of Miss Movember and Man of Movember.

Mo Bros are helping to change the face of men’s health by effectively becoming walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November and through their actions and words raise awareness by promoting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health. Together, we are truly changing the face of men’s health."

http://www.movember.com

Raising Awareness for Prostate Cancer

"Many famous celebrities have battled cancer as you will see below. A good portion of the men diagnosed with Prostate cancer. Many of them now support fundraisers towards cancer research. Prostate Cancer is the most common cancer to men, as one in six men get this disease.

MOvember raises funds for Prostate Cancer, and is in full swing but it’s not too late to get involved. Supporting Movember as it is very basic but effective way for men to raise awareness and funds for prostate cancer.

All you have to do is grow a Moustache for charity.

http://postmediaprovince.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/moore.jpg

Roger Moore Prostate Cancer Survivor

Since 2004, the Movember Foundation has run Movember events to raise awareness and funds for men’s health issues. The focus in the beginning being for fundraising and awareness for prostate cancer and depression. It was started in Australia and New Zealand in 2004 but was so successful that in 2007, Movember events were launched in Ireland, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Greece, Spain, the United Kingdom, Israel, South Africa, and the United States.

The rules of conduct given on the Movember site are:-

Once registered at movember.com each mo bro must begin the 1st of Movember with a clean-shaven face.

For the entire month of Movember each mo bro must grow and groom a moustache.

There is to be no joining of the mo to your side burns. (That’s considered a beard.)

There is to be no joining of the handlebars to your chin.

Each mo bro must conduct himself like a true country gentleman

Many NHL team websites are promoting Movember as well. Players will grow their moustaches throughout the month.

One of the more famous faces and cancer survivor below with a moustache is Robert De Niro

http://postmediaprovince.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/robert-de-niro.jpg?w=242&h=300

Acclaimed actor Rober De Niro found out he had Prostate Cancer in October 2003 after a regular check-up. Deniro’s prognosis looked good from the beginning, as doctors praised his efforts to keep in good health. His representative, Stan Rosenfield, stated back then: “Doctors say the condition was detected at an early stage because of regular checkups. Because of the early detection and his excellent physical condition, doctors project a full recovery.”

Jack Layton Jack Layton passed away this year had previously been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

http://postmediaprovince.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/jack.jpg?w=300&h=225

Jack Layton Canadian Politician

Some other Actors that had Prostate Cancer.

Roger Moore James Bond underwent successful surgery for prostate cancer in 1993. (You only live twice!)

Harry Belafonte Actor Harry Belafonte now is an activist for prostate cancer survivorship was diagnosed in 1996. Belafonte decided to conduct lectures about his bout with prostate cancer so others may “improve their cancer experience and help themselves,” he said.

Bob Dole Senator Bob Dole was diagnosed in 1991 and was treated with surgery. Senator Bob Dole has taken a strong leadership role as an advocate for the early detection and treatment of prostate cancer, since his own successful treatment for the disease

Colin Powell Powell underwent surgery in 2003 for prostate cancer. He made a full recovery, becoming a prostate cancer survivor. Powell has contributed his time to Prostate Conditions Education Council, a non-profit that each year sponsors Prostate Cancer Awareness Week (PCAW).

John Kerry John Kerry’s prostate cancer was detected through a normal PSA test. It was significantly higher than the last PSA test, but still with the normal range. He was diagnosed in 2002 and has made a full recovery. Prostate cancer took his father and breast cancer his wife. He cycles for cancer fundraising each year.

Joe Torre Former manager of the New York Yankees battled prostate cancer in 1999. He reportedly said he suffered no symptoms . He opted for a prostatectomy. Torre works with The Home Run Challenge. It helps baseball fans join the fight against prostate cancer by raising money for research through monetary pledges based upon each home run hit in 60 selected games

Robert Goulet: Diagnosed in 1993 at the age of 60 after a routine blood test for insurance purposes, Goulet underwent a radical prostatectomy and is now free of prostate cancer. He has remained an outspoken prostate cancer advocate.

Nelson Mandela Former President of South Africa, nelson Mandela was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2001. It is reported that he went through radiation therapy as treatment.

Rudy Guliani Former Mayor of New York, Rudy Giuliani was diagnosed in 2000, nineteen years after his father died of the same disease. His diagnosis was prompted by high PSA levels.

Arnold Palmer Palmer was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1997. 8 weeks after surgery, he was on back on the green golfing. But he started a charity auction called Arnie’s Army. A fundraising auction featuring authentic signed Arnold Palmer memorabilia helps raise awareness and generate much-needed funds for the Prostate Cancer Foundation and their efforts to CURE prostate cancer.

Pierre Elliot Trudeau: The Prime Minister of Canada died of prostate cancer in 2000 at the age of 80.

Alec Guinness: While battling glaucoma, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in January 2000. In July 2000, he was diagnosed with advanced liver cancer and died a month later on August 5, 2000.

Bill Bixby: Diagnosed in 1991. He succumbed to the disease on November 21, 1993.

The list goes on."

http://postmediaprovince.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/zappa1.jpg?w=300&h=214

Frank Zappa

GLOBAL SUMMARY 2011 (over $37 Million raised and 1 million participants worldwide:

COUNTRY REGISTRATIONS AMOUNT RAISED (CAD) ↑

CANADA 220,830 $14,417,770

UNITED KINGDOM 228,502 $8,510,063

AUSTRALIA 130,040 $8,041,333

UNITED STATES 129,767 $5,010,723

IRELAND 13,400 $408,594

NEW ZEALAND 11,383 $273,665

SOUTH AFRICA 15,371 $118,738

NETHERLANDS 2,876 $116,684

NORWAY 3,161 $75,531

DENMARK 6,843 $74,665

FINLAND 2,501 $32,978

BELGIUM 582 $22,077

SPAIN 931 $9,466

CZECH REPUBLIC 1,213 $3,504

1 $0

TOTAL FOR ALL COUNTRIES 767,401 $37,115,791

Heres more info for each Country and where you can donate:

New Zealand http://nz.movember.com/

Australia http://au.movember.com/

USA http://us.movember.com/

Canada http://ca.movember.com/

• 2 years later...

The leaves are changing color, the days are shorter, the air is colder and the beards are in full bloom. Wait, what? If you haven’t noticed a rapid growth in men’s facial hair around the office or classroom, take another look around you. It’s Movember, after all!

Follow the Movember action on Twitter: @movember . Use the hashtag #Movember to join the conversation!

You may have heard of “No Shave November,” but did you know there’s actually a huge movement behind it? Movember is an official global charity born in Australia in 2003. It raises awareness for and funds to combat men’s health issues such as prostate and testicular cancer, as well as various mental health challenges.

Men are encouraged to grow moustaches for the month of November and ask friends and family to donate to their facial enhancement efforts.

We’ve compiled a list of 9 facts – both true and, well, subjective – about the moustaches and the movement:

1. It’s not just for the bros: Women, or Mo Sistas, are encouraged to raise money for Movember too. According to the Movember website, “Mo Sistas do everything that Mo Bros do, without a Mo (slang for mustache).”

2. As of 2013, more than 1.1 million Mo Bros and Mo Sistas around the world participated in Movember, raising $579 million since 2003. Read more in the Movember Annual Report.

3. The Trucker? The Connoisseur? The Rock Star? Movember organizers don’t want to you to rock a boring old ‘stache, so they’ve created a style guide that let’s you select and maintain a rockin’ style.

4. No cheating. You have to start the month totally clean shaven and see what kind of facial concoction you can grow in 30 days. Can’t grow a moustache? You can still donate and raise money for men’s health! Read more about the rules.

5. Each year comes the naming of "The International Man of Movember. " You can find out who gets the nod this year at the end of the month. See the gallery of past winners here.

6. According to Reader’s Digest, the average man with a Mo touches it approximately 760 times a day.

7. Moustache hair grows faster than any other body hair, with peak seasons being spring and summer.

8. Most people like moustaches. A 2008 poll by the British newspaper The Guardian found 61 percent of respondents believes mustaches were “gentlemanly and sophisticated,” while only 39 percent believed mustaches are worn by “fools and fiends.”

9. According to Movember’s website, in 2012 Movember was “ranked in the top 100 best NGOs (charities) in world by Global Journal, based on three key main criteria: impact, innovation and sustainability. To put that in context, there are an estimated 5 million NGOs around the world.”

It’s not too late to join in, ladies and gents! Visit http://us.movember.com to register and start raising money for a good cause!

Thanks for the post, guys... you can add me to the list... diagnosed with prostate cancer, after several years of watching my PSA scores rise slowly... at a certain point when the PSA tests showed a rapid rise, I had a biopsy, and 6 of the 12 samples were cancer of the most aggressive type. Surgery followed and as of now (two years later), no signs of it anywhere else in my body. If you are over 40 and don't have regular PSA tests, you should. While PSA tests are not foolproof, having a long term record of the scores are the most accurate predictor for many, if not all, men, in spite of what some DRs say about unnecessary testing. I won't be growing a moustache, but I do support a lot of the prostate cancer research programs. Hopefully one day there will be a cure for this disease too.

DD

I'll be growing a moustache, getting my first PSA test and contributing $$, thanks to the Movember campaign and Steven's reminder. By sheer coincidence I shaved off my beard for Halloween so the timing is perfect - beside the point, but definitely no excuses this year.

The PSA has been on my to-do list since I was driving home a coworker who was telling me her husband had discovered rapidly advancing prostate cancer only because he had established a baseline in his mid 40s. When he went for his second test a couple years later the rate in the increase in the numbers was substantial, though the numbers themselves had only climbed to the "slightly elevated" range. It was the speed of the increase that was telling, because the second test on its own would have only been classified as "slightly elevated" and not necessarily a concern on its own. Because they had an earlier baseline they were able to peg it as rapidly advancing and they were able to intervene in time. So Diverdan is correct having a long term record seems to be the way to go.

MoBro.co/mrnatebeck

I also will be shaving off my full beard and mustache to join a Movember Team at my work (State Street Corp). It is a great cause and am very happy to join the team this year. For most of the guys at work, the fun is watching them grow facial hair....for me, the funniest moment will be when I arrive Monday morning without facial hair...having had facial hair of some kind for decades...

tumblr_nefruzTVxt1qcru21o1_500.jpg

I'll be growing a moustache, getting my first PSA test and contributing $$, thanks to the Movember campaign and Steven's reminder.

MoBro.co/mrnatebeck

Congrats on your effort and good luck on the fundraising, Nate!

I had my first PSA test last year, although I'm not yet in the recommended age bracket for the test.

There was an interesting article recently about Propecia, PSA and prostate health.

Archived