"Take Me Out" redux

foxy
This topic is 7763 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw this play a few months ago downtown and really liked it. Saw it again today. It's on Broadway and I liked it even more. Better seat this time. For those who haven't seen it, I give it "two thumbs up". For the nude shower scenes something else went up.

RE: Take Me Out; redux

I saw it twice off-Broadway. I was in the front row. The nudity was okay, but as characters, none of the guys really looked like baseball players, especially the star. His character has NOTHING gay about him, he is just an arrogant prick. So to say this is a play about a gay baseball player coming out is stretching it.

Guest Pulsator

I saw it downtown at the Public Theater. I had a second row seat with a great view of the shower scenes. Lots of the guys were hot. Few of them looked credible as major league players of today, because the players of today all bulk up through weight-training, high-protein diets, and--in some cases, undoubtedly--steroids. These guys look more like what some major league players of a few decades ago would look like. But that's an eyeful!

I love baseball, but it and (other sports) tend to produce stunted

men who have little experience in life other than baseball. For

example, I do not believe that Derek Jeter (model for the main character) is not special in anyway except baseball and looking good.

So for me, the main character rings very true. Keith Hernandez, actor, writer and adviser on this play, is an exception.

"Take Me Out" open tonight, but if the audience does not build it will not be around very long, probably does not appeal to the average tourist.

>I love baseball, but it and (other sports) tend to produce

>stunted

>men who have little experience in life other than baseball.

This is a rather denigrating total generalization. Many athletes, professional and/or collegiate have gone on to and made significant contributions in other areas. Ever heard of Byron "Whizzer" White of the Supreme Court? What about the jockey Dick Francis who is a world renowned mystery writer? And American politicians innumerable including one-time presidential candidate Bill Bradley (as a Princeton grad, I would suppose that he is no dimwit), Gerald Ford, and Ronald Reagan. Of course, many have gone into acting, although I can't recall any Oscar winners: Jim Brown, Rafer Johnson, Bruce Jenner, Alex Karras, Dick Butkus, Fred Dryer, Chuck Connors ad nauseum.

>For

>example, I do not believe that Derek Jeter (model for the main

>character) is not special in anyway except baseball and

>looking good.

>So for me, the main character rings very true. Keith

>Hernandez, actor, writer and adviser on this play, is an

>exception.

I did not know that Keith Hernandez was a writer. What has he written? What has he acted in? I know he was on a couple of Seinfeld episodes, but were there other acting vehicles? Hasn't Derek Jeter been on some tv shows and commercials also? Oh well, I guess I'm biased as I think Derek is HOT!!! :) You sound like one of those "God awful" Mets fans when, if you live in NYC, you have the greatest team of all times, the Damn Yankees to root for!!

>"Take Me Out" open tonight, but if the audience does not build

>it will not be around very long, probably does not appeal to

>the average tourist.

But then again, we gays are not average tourists. I love all sports, especially baseball, and would love to see this play, especially if the actor portraying Derek is even 1/2 as hot as the real Derek!

:p

Guest fukamarine

>For example, I do not believe that Derek Jeter (model for the main

>character) is not special in anyway except baseball and

>looking good.

That's not enough?????????????

fukamarine

Even though I have lived in Boston, Southern NJ and currently Philly,

I am a life long Cardinal fan. Thus, the references to Keith,

who played on the world champion 1982 Cardinals. Hernandez has written two books and, as I said, worked as an advisor to the producers and director of "Take Me Out."

For every athlete whom you have named, there are dozens who have

either stayed in sports or work at an auto dealership, etc. There really can not be much of an argument about the life experiences of ball players, football players, basketball player, etc. To get to be one of the best players in the world, and that's what everyone who plays in the major leagues, the NFL, or NBA there can not be much else in your life but sport, you just do not have the time.

Frankly, your argument is not really worth this much of an answer.

You seem to be in the mood for an argument & picked my posting.

Most star athlete are very much like the lead character in "Take me Out."

Frankly, your argument is not really worth this much of an

>answer.

>You seem to be in the mood for an argument & picked my

>posting.

>Most star athlete are very much like the lead character in

>"Take me Out."

No, I'm not in the mood for an arguement and wasn't trying to engage in one, and if it exhausted you to reply to a legitimate counter point about generalized stereotypes, and legitimate questions seeking information, then you shouldn't have replied. :-(

Both times I saw the play the audience seemed to be more than half gay. Intermission was like Tea Dance at the Pines. An extra added incentive to see it I think. You never know who you'll meet. I love baseball!

Archived