Turning the cap backwards

rguer
This topic is 4319 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I read the "Gawker" article and was impressed with Mr. Juzwiak's writing style and content. The examination of his internal reaction to "masculinity" and its outward trappings was thought-provoking and led to some self-reflection. I think I'll visit his blog in the future.

His anecdote about the hair-dresser who wore a cap throughout a sexual encounter, including the after shower made me smile because I have at least one friend who hardly ever removes ONE of his vast collections of caps.

Pardon my naievete but the reason for turning/wearing your cap backwards hadn't occured to me---mostly because I haven't worn one since I was a Little League baseball player as a pre-adolescent.

Thanks rguer for posting this link.

The backwards hat things is actually a symbol of "street culture" and is intended to give the impression of a "masculine male with swagger". As often happens with "street Style", it is adopted by ALL the wrong people who merely find it as a "throwaway" thing of the moment, and really not representative of the statement or attitude it was intended to portray... Hell, soccer moms and senior men in socks with sandals have been spotted in the "backwards" style. As with anything, this phenom is taken too seriously. People are just havin fun and tryin to be "with it".... And maybe even tryin to coverup a Bad hair day. The article did make for an interesting read. Note of caution: backwards caps make for an "awkward" suntan on your forehead, especially if you are a baldy. You end up lookin like you have a "third eye" in the middle of your forehead..... Note to Self !

I had a different reaction to the Gawker article. I thought it was very badly written, and based upon a false premise. The only problem with wearing a baseball cap backwards is that it went out of fashion some time ago. Otherwise, if you are under 30, wearing the cap backwards is just that. Over 30 and you'd best get in touch with where you are in the scheme of things.

Lucky--after reading your post, I went back and re-read the article. I'll stick to most of my original thoughts but there were some things I missed and I'll defer to your assessment of whether wearing a cap backwards says anything about anybody, young or old---tend to agree that those over "a certain age" should never try too hard to be with the latest fashion statement or fad. I've noticed some young men wearing skinny jeans and those with long lean legs certainly can carry that off, but I can only imagine what a 50 year old with no butt and a gut would look like.

Maybe those forum members with time and tech ability could find some awful examples and post them?

I wish I had the ability to post photos of things I see on tv, but I don't. Having said that, I saw a photo on tv recently of Lindsay Lohan's father with his new girlfriend, wearing a baseball cap backwards!! Certainly affirms Lucky's comments above---to use a '60s phrase: "right on"

I wear caps all the time, specially when I am on the water. Bald head often equals skin cancer, but I hate them and hate the way I look in them, so I only do it when it is absolutely necessary. My Dad had several small bouts with skin cancer, so I am really cautious...BUT Joseph you look good in caps, better I think than without, it is a nice casual look for you.

"Third Eye Tans" can be avoided by wearing a fitted cap; It's those "one-size-fits-all" caps that you have to beware.

Personal anecdote: I got in the habit many years ago of wearing a backwards baseball absolutely EVERY time I went out. When I finally realized it was a bad idea, it took me over three months to break the habit. Now I just say, fuck it, and put on SPF 50 sunblock. :)

Archived