Magic Mike

beethoven
This topic is 4310 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Am I the first to comment here on this movie, which opens today (Fri)? There's a highly favorable review in the NY Times, and a FABULOUS photo (BIG!!) on page one of the movie section. I can't wait to see this eye candy and I'm sure that I'll buy the DVD.

It might be hard to categorize it as an art film, but the director is known for quality, and the reviews have been good.

But, yes, there are now several threads on it.

Many people don't come to this forum, so a mass-market film might get more discussion in the Lounge.

But why not talk here about the artistry of the film?

Am I the first to comment here on this movie, which opens today (Fri)? There's a highly favorable review in the NY Times, and a FABULOUS photo (BIG!!) on page one of the movie section. I can't wait to see this eye candy and I'm sure that I'll buy the DVD.

I saw a preview last week and I thought it was pretty good. Enjoyed it very much. People just looking for skin might be disappointed because there's so much more to it than that. But there is lots of lovely man candy but I must admit I find Matt Bomer to be the one I most wanted to take home with me.

I have now seen the movie Magic Mike. I give it a 7. Channing has a delightful ass, a very nice body, a sexy demeanor, and acts reasonably well. When they are not on stage, the movie is not all that interesting, but not bad.

"Magic Mike" - The Broadway Musical?

Interesting tidbit from USA Today:

A Broadway adaptation of "Magic Mike" inspired by Channing Tatum's past stint as a male stripper is in the works. According to USA Today, Reid Carolin -- who wrote the script for the Steven Soderbergh-directed movie, which he also co-produced with Tatum -- has plans to spin off a musical.

"We are working on it as a Broadway show, which would be a different story, more of a romp, more of a fun night out at a club with a story," he says. "I'm almost more excited about that than the movie because I think it's the perfect thing for women to go see on Broadway, to be participants in the show."

(As narrator Che Guevara sings in Evita, "And the money kept rolling in." Although, we can't picture Magic Mike: The Musical winning a Tony in the future. But never say never.)

Meanwhile, Alex Pettyfer, who plays a novice stripper learning the ropes from Tatum's titular Magic Mike, is interested in making his big stage debut -- for a limited time only.

"I think we should all do the opening night," says Pettyfer of his castmates, who also include Matthew McConaughey, Joe Manganiello and Matt Bomer.

See "Magic Mike" for Channing Tatum

I just saw the film at the closest theater, but also possibly the worst theater on the east coast (very small screen and terrible sound). It was mostly to get out of the 100+ degree heat.

It's Channing Tatum's movie. He's very sex and has a winning personality that almost jumps off the screen. Channing does have an extremely nice ass.

I was surprised that the audience for the 5 PM showing was about 90% women, not sure why I should be surprised considering the story.

Alex Pettyfer may be the best looking man in the movie, with a great body. But, he is not much of an actor or personality, not that it makes a huge difference in this film.

I am looking forward to seeing "Magic Mike" again in a first-class theater.

Saw Magic Mike last night at a good theater with stadium seating, great sound and projection. In common with William M, I was surprised that it seemed like 90+% of the audience was women.

I actually got the impression that Channing Tatum was really acting at least some of the time!! :)) That is, he managed to transcend his usual stiffness and seem to loosen up and be comfortable in his body. I agree that his ass looked prime, but I was concerned that he's letting things go a bit in the abs department. Watch the diet and work out diligently, Channing! Don't want to loose that magnificent shape.

Alex Pettyfer has a pretty face but the body looks a bit sloppy and I don't go for the sort-of-bearded unshaven look. This guy would look so much hotter clean-shaven.

Matthew McConaughey had the best body of the bunch, and I think he's 15-20 years older than the youngster in the cast. Second best, Matt Bomer. Wow, scorching!

The film itself is of variable interest, but the visuals are entertaining!

Magic Mike: finally saw it

Today's NYTimes offers this article about gay men flocking to see Magic Mike :

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/movies/magic-mike-with-channing-tatum-draws-gay-men.html?_r=1&ref=movies

ED

I saw this today. Not a gay man in sight; the movie takes place in Tampa, and I'd guess the closest gay man is in Ft. Lauderdale. This isn't about gays, nor is it meant for gays. Most of the audience this morning was women. Some nice eye candy, as these guys are strippers in a club for women, like Chippendale's. Tatum Channing is on screen most of the time, and he's very good, both on stage and off. Alex Pettyfer is good, too. The plot is pretty lame, and I wouldn't recommend the movie for the story or the characters. And there's no reason for me to recommend the movie for those who are reading this. I think that the movie critics who liked it, such as the NY Times and The New Yorker, were responding to Steven Soderberg's direction, the music, and the feel of the movie. I often find that these critics are in their own world, talking mostly to each other.

"Magic Mike" finished fifth for the weekend, just slightly behind Oliver Stone's "Savages" which just opened.

But MM's total gross is now $72.8 million. So the film has an outside chance of reaching $100 million in total grosses.

From reports, large groups of women still make up the overwhelmingly majority of MM's audiences.

James Franco had an interesting take on Magic Mike:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-franco/magic-channing-tatum_b_1639787.html

In some respects Franco's talking about himself, especially in this passage:

This film is not simply an exposé of Tatum's former life as a stripper. It can be read as a veiled representation of his time in Hollywood as a pretty boy leading man searching for artistic validity. If Magic Mike needs to use his body and good looks (stripping) in order to pay for the art he really cares about (furniture design), can't this be read as Tatum going through the motions of Dear John and The Vow to become a creator of his own destiny as the producer and champion of Magic Mike, a film that capitalizes on his beauty while at the same time frames it as a curse?

I saw the film this afternoon with a friend. It was not at all what I expected. It certainly is not a great film BUT I have seen a hell of a lot worse. I didn't find it particularly sexy or erotic in fact I found it rather sad. Magic Mike substantiated something I have known for a long time – Channing Tatum CAN dance. It also proved to me something else about which I wasn’t certain until now – Channing Tatum CAN act.

I agree. This is the first film I've seen with Channing Tatum in which I had the feeling that he had matured as an actor beyond pretty-boy posing. Ironically, given the subject matter. But he actually came off as a character with some depth.

James Franco had an interesting take on Magic Mike:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-franco/magic-channing-tatum_b_1639787.html

In some respects Franco's talking about himself, especially in this passage:

This film is not simply an exposé of Tatum's former life as a stripper. It can be read as a veiled representation of his time in Hollywood as a pretty boy leading man searching for artistic validity. If Magic Mike needs to use his body and good looks (stripping) in order to pay for the art he really cares about (furniture design), can't this be read as Tatum going through the motions of Dear John and The Vow to become a creator of his own destiny as the producer and champion of Magic Mike, a film that capitalizes on his beauty while at the same time frames it as a curse?

Excellent observation. As someone with an artistic dream, I've always said: You do what you have to do to get the first show on the stage. It's an expensive and glorified business card, and shows that you have the drive and seriousness to get one and join the club.

And I walked out of the theatre with the same reaction as Epigonos. While the film isn't Shakespeare, it was well-done and CT can definitely act.

• 1 month later...

I saw Magic Mike in a truly awful theater the day it opened...so awful I thought the theater was infected with bedbugs.

I assumed that was it until the DVD is released in the fall.

Very Good Luck: I was in San Francisco for just one day, August 7 & Magic Mike was playing a two day run at the Castro Theater. I missed so much at the small screen theater here in Philadelphia; it seemed like a whole new film.

Mostly male audience, but more women than I expected were there also.

About a month ago, I saw "Magic Mike" in a huge theater. There were about six women and only two men [i being one of the men....]

...liked the film overall and almost had a visual overdose on the "eye candy" presented! ...would not have minded taking on any one of

those hotties for a two or three hour "romp in play!"

Archived