TSA Approved Locks

jerryskater
This topic is 4333 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think that some of them are worthwhile ... at least those that have parts solid enough that they would not easily be cut with an ordinary garden shears.

My problem with most of them is that I only use them during flights ... and then lose them.

So I just bought a bag with one that is built-in to the design of the zipper. Haven't used it yet, but at least i won't lose the lock unless I lose the entire bag.

Which, of course, is always possible ... ;)

The biggest problem you're going to have is TSA returning your bag and lock to the condition in which they received it before their inspection. Not to bitch too much, but I've never had a checked bag come out at baggage claim in the same condition I checked it. Usually, all locks are unlocked or missing. Straps around the bag are hanging off the handle only. Seriously, if TSA was a profit-making organization, they wouldn't allow this crap.

Yes, I'm excited to see Orlando-Sanford International getting privatized security.

If an unscrupulous airline employee wants to get into your bag - the TSA lock will be an easy picking for them. The benefit of purchasing a TSA approved lock for your luggage is that if your luggage is subject to TSA bag-room screening, you'll still have an operational lock after the fact. Or so you should.

Absent "The Club", a lock for your car's steering wheel column, if someone wants inside your luggage while traveling, and have the opportunity, they're going to do it. NEVER pact valuables or important medications in your checked luggage.

The biggest problem you're going to have is TSA returning your bag and lock to the condition in which they received it before their inspection. Not to bitch too much, but I've never had a checked bag come out at baggage claim in the same condition I checked it. Usually, all locks are unlocked or missing.

Dude are you kidding? You actually think if your bag comes out damaged at your arrival airport that TSA is automatically to blame? Really??? No possibility that the airline baggage handlers caused the damage? I know you hate TSA and anything from the federal government....but come on.

In answer to the original question, I don't think it matters much if you use TSA approved locks or not. I used to lock my bags all the time but have stopped now (I travel almost weekly) The locks (whether cheap or expensive) always broke after 4-5 trips. The airline baggage handling process is simply too rough for the locks to survive long. As boner said, best advice is to put nothing of value inside. I always carry cash, valuables, medicine, and important documents on board with me

Archived