Testing for STD's

unsub2O17
This topic is 4345 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's safer to say I play safe only and I'm negative as of {insert last test date}[/color]

I have to confess that my skin crawls whenever I read "Negative as of...". To the voice in the back of my mind that sounds almost like a confession that the person expects not to be negative the next time. Also, it is an empty reassurance; you were not negative as of that date, what you really mean to say is that on that date, there were not enough antibodies or viruses in your system to be detectable with the latest tests. Also, and this is just me, clearly, I feel that when you offer something that sounds like a reassurance of absolutely health, it is very often used as an excuse to do riskier stuff.

"Oh, you were negative in your test two weeks ago, then I will swallow your cum" "Ok, then it is ok for me to ......."

I prefer to do the only adult thing in my mind: to say that I am a very sexually active man, I test often and even if all my results were negative in my last tests it is very important to engage only in safer sex.

I know it sounds like semantics, but I am trying to find what feels more responsible to me.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to confess that my skin crawls whenever I read "Negative as of...". To the voice in the back of my mind that sounds almost like a confession that the person expects not to be negative the next time. Also, it is an empty reassurance; you were not negative as of that date, what you really mean to say is that on that date, there were not enough antibodies or viruses in your system to be detectable with the latest tests. Also, and this is just me, clearly, I feel that when you offer something that sounds like a reassurance of absolutely health, it is very often used as an excuse to do riskier stuff.

"Oh, you were negative in your test two weeks ago, then I will swallow your cum" "Ok, then it is ok for me to ......."

Juan, I'm sorry if I hit a nerve. Not sure if your response is directed at me or is a general statement.

Let me be clear that A TEST does not offer a guarantee for absolute health. And as far I'm concerned a negative test is certainly not an excuse to do "riskier stuff" or engage in unsafe activities. Unlike what has been mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, when I mention my negative status I do not get requests for unprotected sex. However I've been asked twice if I was positive because of me participating in AIDS Life Cycle.

I've been tested regularly for the last 15 years and all my tests come negative (both HIV and other STD's). Being and staying healthy is important to me and the clients I see. My last test was in May 2012.

Personally I'd never use the phrase "Currently I am negative for everything". Your current status is either "positive" or "unknown". You were negative at the point in time of your last test.

A big hug to you,

Steven ~

Juan, I'm sorry if I hit a nerve. Not sure if your response is directed at me or is a general statement.

Let me be clear that A TEST does not offer a guarantee for absolute health. And as far I'm concerned a negative test is certainly not an excuse to do "riskier stuff" or engage in unsafe activities. Unlike what has been mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, when I mention my negative status I do not get requests for unprotected sex.

I've been tested regularly for the last 15 years and all my tests come negative (both HIV and other STD's). My last test was in May 2012.

Personally I'd never use the phrase "Currently I am negative for everything". You're either positive or unknown. You were negative at the point in time of your last test.

A big hug to you,

Steven ~

Do you guys use oral or blood-based tests? The health clinic I've been using in my hometown is oral, which takes about 20 minutes or so, and the new one I just went to is blood, which takes about 5. And they give you condoms instead of a lolly.

Being that you are strictly oral I agree that yearly testing is probably adequate as far as HIV.

But depending on how frequently one engages in oral sex more frequent testing for things like Syphilis and Gonnorhea may make sense.

I had a discussion with my doctor about STD's recently. He indicated that, whilst

Diagnosing genital gonorrhea in men was quite simple, the tests for oral gonorrhea are highly unreliable. He said that if someone comes in with symptoms of oral gonorrhea or suspects they may have contracted it, he goes straight to the antibiotic treatment phase....bypassing the whole testing process entirely. I thought that was quite interesting. I wonder if most doctors take that approach now.

There are numerous anonymous clinics where I live (No. Calif.) for testing. The rate is 200.00 just for HIV, and more for a full panel. Is there such a thing as a home test?? It would certainly be anonymous and cheaper.

Are you serious? Go to a public health clinic, or a gay health clinic. It's usually free.

Here is still old school. They draw some blood and you go back the following week for the results.

I know that the Gay and Lesbian Community Center in Los Angeles and the Fenway in Boston use the 5 min test.

Apparently blood is "new-school" as well, the version I've taken is a 5-minute test and is more accurate than the current oral swabby things. They take blood for the STD spectrum anyway, so I always get the full panel since it's free.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a very interesting article in the paper today about the first oral home HIV test. It's call "Opti-Quick" and just involves a cheek swab and a 20' wait. It has a 99% accuracy rate on negatives and a 92% accuracy rate on positives. Cost is expected to be under $60, and it's expected on store shelves in October. That will be a nice, private way to get tested as often as you'd like. Still not as definitive as blood and no health worker is involved, but it is a nice adjunct.

I think that would be very helpful.

I know that you can get tested anonymously in Utah. But, now that I'm in Oregon, I have no clue where to get tested.

And, what about home tests? Are they accurate, reliable, and affordable?

The mail in one from Duane Reade is what I use. Very discreet.

Archived