Don't take things for granted

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 2712 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The atrial contraction only supplies about 10% of the blood moving into the ventricle and then out to the body. As a result, in atrial fibrillation when the atrial are quivering rather than beating, if the rate is controlled, you actually lose a very small amount of cardiac output and if you are otherwise healthy, you may not have any symptoms or may only have symptoms with exertion. When the heart rate is not controlled, then the decreased amount of time for transit of blood from the atrium to the ventricle may result in decreased cardiac output which along with the fast rate may produce symptoms at rest or with minimal exertion.

Atrial fibrillation is dangerous in that the quivering of the atrium may lead to blood clots forming in the atria and eventually these clots may get out into the circulation and there is a resultant possibility of a stroke.

Therapy for atrial fibrillation centers on controlling the rate and preventing the throwing of clots. The rate may be controlled by drugs, which may slow the rate or even change the fibrillation back to a normal rhythm. The rate may also be controlled by electrically converting the rhythm back to regular rhythm.

Preventing clots from forming and traveling is usually accomplished by the use of "blood thinners" or the used of anti platelet drugs.

The decision as to which drug to use to try and avoid strokes is aided by the use of the CHADS scale. More recently the CHAD2S2 scale has been used. These scales use risks such as congestive heart failure, hypertension, age, Diabetes, and previous stroke as well as sex to determine stroke risk. Lower CHAD scores may be treated with aspirin or in some cases with no medication at all. With higher scores, long term anticoagulation is usually recommended if a regular rhythm cannot be accomplished.

Good luck with your treatment. Atrial fibrillation does have its risks, but if you are able to tolerate the medications used, you should be able to return to your life with little change in activity.

Come to think of it, it's a really common arrhythmia. I have an aunt who has been on the old-fashioned conservative treatment for years - she stays in a-fib and takes coumadin to prevent clots. I have one friend who stays in sinus rhythm with drugs and occasionally needs to be cardioverted. I have another friend who failed on drugs and had an ablation, which took care of his condition. He takes pradaxa to prevent clots. I have another fried who has failed on drugs over and over, has been cardioverted over and over and has had 4 or 5 ablations and still cannot stay in sinus rhythm.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived