How interesting

gcursor
This topic is 4527 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2011/06/14/what-does-english-sound-like-to-foreign-ears/

So I ran across this article and I was in awe at the first video that is in that article. As I understand it, much of what the man is singing is "nonsense" words but that song is still great to listen to. Anyway I thought that I would post it out here and see what you guys thought of it...

gcursor

Pitter Patter..

Patter songs.

What a great staple of stage and film (I guess video now as well)

Seeing this thread today reminded me of a track I heard a day or two ago on Sirius. It was Danny Kaye doing a number from a 1941 Broadway Musical called Let's Face It . The number was titled Melody in 4F. The show was a Cole Porter show but it had two songs added that were written by Sylvia Fine and Max Liebman. Sylvia was Kaye's wife. The song was mostly rapid fire nonsense syllables that told the story of one guy's experience in the war from being drafted to winning a war medal. Although you couldn't see the performance, the audio conveyed the amazing skill of Kaye.

No one did patter songs like than Danny Kaye

I recall seeing a PBS show touching on this a couple of decades ago. They recorded the locals of the westernmost Dutch province, directly across from England, chatting away in their local dialect. Listening to them, I kept straining to understand what they were saying because the vowels, most of the consonants and, most important for me, the rhythm of their speech kept telling my brain I was hearing English spoken even though the words were Dutch.

It was the oddest experience, to the point that it has stuck with me all these years.

Archived