rio june or july 2012

tealady
This topic is 4495 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Seven of my trips have occurred during the spring in Rio de janeiro (September/November), but the spring,October of 2011, was the pits; it rained oh so damn much,

thus impeding my outdoor plans. But this is a good time to go to avoid hordes of people.

June/July is autumn in Rio, I think. Check the weather reports and the archives regarding weather and other factors.

Trilingual has written about all of the seasons previously.

June/July is summer in Rio. July is nice as it is a school vacation month for Brazilians. Traffic is less than in other months. Also, I like July cause the weather is a bit cooler and tends not to be rainy (however you can still get the odd rainy day). In terms of sporting events in Rio in June/July 2012, I don't know what might be scheduled. Certainly not the World Cup or the Olympics as those are in later years. There could be some other soccer or sporting event however. I'm sure if you pull up a Rio events website, you will find more information.

BTW, in July, hotels are somewhat cheaper in Brazil in my experience as there is less business travel there due to vacations. Have fun!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ihpguy

June and July is winter down here. Trust me. I do live here. Opposite of northern hemisphere. July at night can get very chilly. Definitely not beach weather. From the end of May, I am wearing wool sweaters. Whether it rains or doesn't rain, that does vary from year to year. Quite crazy to see Cariocas wearing gloves, watch caps and ski parkas. Not the normal sungas and dental floss bikinis. This year's Reveillon was a sodden mess. And for it now being summer, we have had many chilly days. We are in summer now and I hardly have used my pool lately.

June and July is winter down here. Trust me. I do live here. Opposite of northern hemisphere. July at night can get very chilly. Definitely not beach weather. From the end of May, I am wearing wool sweaters. Whether it rains or doesn't rain, that does vary from year to year. Quite crazy to see Cariocas wearing gloves, watch caps and ski parkas. Not the normal sungas and dental floss bikinis. This year's Reveillon was a sodden mess. And for it now being summer, we have had many chilly days. We are in summer now and I hardly have used my pool lately.

Yes ihpguy is right. In my prior post, I said "summer" when I was thinking "winter". Wow.....where was my head at??

I have to say that I prefer Rio and Sao Paulo in the winter months of June/July/August. Less heat and plenty of sunny days. More comfortable for me as I prefer cooler temps!

Yes ihpguy is right. In my prior post, I said "summer" when I was thinking "winter". Wow.....where was my head at??

I have to say that I prefer Rio and Sao Paulo in the winter months of June/July/August. Less heat and plenty of sunny days. More comfortable for me as I prefer cooler temps!

Now of these three months: June/July/August--which one has been the better during normal weather climes? Or has the weather for those 3 months of winter been rather consistent

throughout the 90+day period? -:) -:)

Now of these three months: June/July/August--which one has been the better during normal weather climes? Or has the weather for those 3 months of winter been rather consistent

throughout the 90+day period? -:) -:)

Hi Axiom,

Hopefully ihpguy will chime in since he lives in Rio. Based on my experience when I lived in SP, I always thought July was nice. Warning: Nights can get more chilly in SP than in RJ. Also, there can be a potential for morning fog in SP during the June-August timeframe. Even so, I do appreciate the moderate temps. Other people who prefer hot climates would likely indicate they like Brazil in the Summer months of Dec, Jan,Feb.

Cheers!

John

By August even Rio can get a bit chilly. Not all the time, but if a cold front comes up from the South it can drop into the 60s. With a lot of wind and humidity it can feel quite uncomfortable! July is milder, it seems. It's also more festive because there are more visitors in town as a result of the winter school break.

SP can get down into the 40s at night that time of year. You definitely want some warmer clothing if you come then, just in case. Nothing ridiculous, but lightweight sweaters and jackets will keep you comfortable during cold snaps.

June is better than either July or August. It's a crapshoot here otherwise. It can be great, it can be awful. I can remember August 2005 for 2 weeks. The first week was incredible with great, great weather. Every day sunny and bright, perfect for pool or beach and then...cold front. A COLD FRONT. What they call a frente frio. Think cold and wet humidity, low-mid 50's at night. Mid to high 60's up to mid 70's in the daytime. An 80 degree temperature being only a memory. And no inside heat here. No electric blankets. I sometimes actually sleep in my dry sauna.

For myself, I had found a nice cheap house to rent for this past August, north of Salvador in Bahia, on the ocean side of the Linha Verde, Costa dos Coqueiros, Mata do Sao Joao. Only 30 miles north of the airport. Nice warm weather. If I hadn't had a bad accident, I would not have been here for a very cold and windy winter. I will try to avoid winter 2012 here in Rio. If that gives you any indication. But then I have turned into the world's oldest gringo beachboy. I think I was born to wear Havaiana's!

If you are set on visiting Brasil during July/August, maybe think about Salvador, Fortaleza, Recife and Natal. Praia da Pipa/Barra do Cunhao maybe? It is the season for kitesurfing.

Archived