Noo Yawk

btmstudnyc
This topic is 7825 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What are some absolute musts for these days for a first

>timer? Would also welcome suggestions on places to dine, and

>gay clubs and other places to hit.

>

>Thanks in advance.

>

>--EBG

Eastbayguy, There really isnt any musts...butt...

Splash for drinks or dancing

G's for drinks...frozen Cosmos

Food Bar for gay food and Watermelon Margaritas

Dish for eats

Hairspray dont miss this play/musical

Roxy for dancing on saturdays

Lips for drag dining

Lure for Leather

Spike for Leather and Jeans

Gaiety Theatre above Howard Johnsons in Times Square for fun twink boys dancing with Hardons for cash.

I hope you have fun...There is a lot more to do in terms of Theatre and Museums and site seeing...but thats just too much to state in a post...try Getting a NEXT or HX mag...they tell you what to do each day...Nextmagazine.net...I think is the website.

Or else write me or call me..I'll take you on a tour.

JIM

Hey EBG...How exciting, spending New Year's in the Big Apple. Hope you have a great time...Here are some of my picks to help make your trip more enjoyable: ..If you're looking to see hot guys, try these places: Stella's, 226 W. 47th Street, between Broadway and 8th Ave....Gaiety, 46th Street, off Broadway, next to "Beauty and the Beast"....SBNY (old Splash), 50 W 17th St., between 5th & 6th Ave...These are the closest to the Mid-Town, Times Square area...One of my "classy" hang outs is the Townhouse, a gentlemen's club/bar. you can meet guys there, 236 E. 58th St. between 2nd and 3rd. Also, on the same block is the Townhouse restaurant, very gay friendly and good food...AND, speaking of food, some of my favorites are: Palm (steak-house) located on 50th St. between 7th and 8th AVE...Angelo/Maxie (steak) 52nd ST. between 6th & 7th Ave...Blue Fin (fish) corner of 47th and Broadway next to the "W" Hotel...For lunch, go to (the famous) Carmine's Deli. 44th St. between Broadway and 8th...Looking for Italian, try La Rivisita, on the famous Restaurant Row on 46th between 8th and 9th Ave. This should keep you happy and very busy!:p If you have any specific questions, just ask. Enjoy your visit. Coop

being a new yorker I like to recommend things to visitors that they probably would never do on their own but really get you out of the tourist mode and make you feel at home in NYC.

l. during the holidays a great place for dinner is ROLF'S - a german american restaurant at third ave and 22nd street. Place has great german food such as goose, veal, kassler ripchen(smoked pork chops) dumplings, etc and is over the top in Holiday spirit. you will need a reservation but it is cheap and really special. it is filled with so much holiday stuff you will swear you are in Europe.

2. have a breakfast at the Pink Tea Cup in the West Village. been all around the world but their breakfast is still my favorite - biscuits, country bacon, grits,dumplings, on and on. it is at Grove and Bleeker street.

3. If you are into music while dining there is a opera bar/restaurant on nyc upper west side. dont remember the name of it but you should be able to find it. Great singing. need reservation.

4. go to ABC department store on Broadway and 19th street. great place to wander and very different from other big stores. While you are there you may want to wander Union Square Market which is three blocks south - I like it even in the winter. vendors sell home made or home grown items. You can buy cheese, fresh breads, hot cider and even make it breakfast. It is my number one charming spot in nyc. there are also restaurants within a block (BlueWater Grill for seafood

and the famous Union Square Cafe.

5. take a cab to the east village for either breakfast or lunch at Vesalka - a east european place - cheap - with HUGE menu - great soup, sandwiches, and very good "vibes". It is on the corner of second and either 9th or 10th st. wander the east village as there are unusual shops and it has a charm all of its own. Go to Kiehl's Pharmacy - third ave and 13th street - you will love it.

6. Hairspray tickets are hard to come by. You can have a great experience by doing something like seeing Tommy Tune and his accompaning Swing Orchestra or the AL Jolsen play. And of course Radio City is fun even if you dont stay for the whole show.

7. sit in the Alqonquin Lobby and have drinks and snacks. It and another easy to get in before or after theater spot (Cafe UnDeauxTrois)are in the theater district.

8. if yu are going to get some caviar for a private NY in your room - go to Gus's Daughters in the lower east side (former jewish ghetto area) - an authentic jewish fish and delicacy shop that reeks atmosphere. walk aroud the neighborhood.

I hope you enjoy your trip and see some of the new york that i love so much.

Guest fukamarine

>I hope you enjoy your trip and see some of the new york that

>i love so much.

Hey Gulliver!

Great post. It's so refreshing to read some original suggestions about what-to-do for an out-of-towner. NY can be a very confusing place for a tourist. There is so much to see but without the type of info you gave us you can end up just wondering aimlessly, always wondering if you missed the good stuff.

Thanks again - I will save your list and use it when I'm in NY again -probably this coming Spring.

fukamarine

Guest Smoothee

>There is so much to see

>but without the type of info you gave us you can end up just

>wondering aimlessly, always wondering if you missed the good

>stuff.

If you really want the good stuff, you must make one more important stop: Rick Munroe and Derek Ross's apartment in Chelsea! :9 }( :9 }(

If I recall correctly, the Spike closed several years ago, a victim of the gentrification of the neighborhood. So did the Eagle, but the Eagle has re-opened sewveral blocks north. Has the Spike found a new home?

If you're looking for reasonably decent food at a reasonable price, there's Manatus (spelling)just off Christopher in the West Village. Tres gay!

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone,

Thanks for your suggestions about what to do in NYC for New Years. We are very excited to be visiting the Big Apple, and look forward to an exciting few days. I've been to New York a bunch on business over the years, but time has permitted me to do very few "touristy" things.

We will be cramming a lot in to a short period of time, and I know we will be exhausted when we leave.

Again, thanks everyone.

--EBG

One of my favorite places is Katz's deli. This is where Meg Ryan faked her orgasm in When Harry Met Sally, but more important it has the best pastrami around. Forget the Carnegie. It's a tourist trap and you won't find any old comedians sitting around there anyway!

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to NY this week just because I ahve a craving for Katz's!!!!

Dan Dare

http://gaydar.co.uk/dandarela

guys, i am going to add a few restaurants to my must list and a couple of other ideas:

restaurants:

1. L'Impero - 41st just west of first ave - incredible prix fixe elegant minimalist dining room in the most charmin cul de sac overlooking the UN. Was in NY magazine lately - must have reservations

2. Water Club - great seafood on floating barge with fireplace - great river and 59th St Bridge views. get the Potatoes O'Keefe.

3. Waverly Inn - Waverly at Bank St west village - Mom's home cooking and get the dining room with the low ceilings and fireplace - dark and romantic

4. snacks, lunch, dinner at the Oyster Bar - Grand Central Station wood [paneled - great menu - and you get to tour Grand Cental Station

I know this might sound goofy but I really dig going to an evening vespers or concert in one of NY Citys grand old gothic churches. check saturdays ny times for the religion page. some of the best ny music happens in our churches.

Hope you let us know how your weekend came out. we wish you a good trip.

>I'm here now and this city is so great that you can get a

>charge just walking down the street. I walked nearly 30 blocks

>tonight in the cold just to take it all in!

Dan, I know exactly what you mean. When I'm in NYC, I walk my feet off--and I'm not much of a walker normally, even though I live in anther great walking city, Chicago. When I was assigned to a major NYC account, I was often "on loan" to the client and really enjoyed myself. I'd often walk from the office near Grand Central to the Village and back to The Essex House on Central Park. One night I walked at least 90 blocks and had a great time.

Hopefully, I'll get there on my own this year, business trip or no business trip. (More trips to the Big Apple keep getting dangled in front of me, but I'm tired of waiting for a repeat visit with Rick Munroe! I guess I'll just have to pay my own way and see what it's like being in New York without an expense account!)

}(

Guest Bitchboy

I walked nearly 30 blocks

>tonight in the cold just to take it all in!

>

>

>Dan Dare

>http://gaydar.co.uk/dandarela

Well, cheer up and stay over. Next week, if the Metropolitan Transit Authority Union has its way, you can walk for real. Subway workers may go out on strike this coming Sunday and you will be joined by many regular ole New Yawkers hitting the pavement come Monday morning rush hour. Bring your sneakers and Dr. Scholl's. ;(

>One of my favorite places is Katz's deli. This is where Meg

>Ryan faked her orgasm in When Harry Met Sally, ...

>I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to NY this week just

>because I ahve a craving for Katz's!!!!

>

Katz's is closed, I believe... there was an article in the NY Times about this in the late summer/early fall (how the neighborhood and customer base had changed so that the owners, who had already been trying to pull in a younger, secular crowd [it was a kosher deli, for those not in the know], pulled the plug). I vaguely recall that they were going to renovate and reopen as another kind of restaurant, but don't know whether it was under the same name.

• 2 weeks later...

A while back I posted about heading someplace warm for New Years, possibly Miami. Change of plans, we're heading for New York. Not quite the warm and tropical destination I'd imagined. But, it is what my better half wants, so, that's what we're going to do.

We're staying at the Royalton, which is a pretty great place to stay but is mid-town by Times Square. (We'll probably avoid Times Square on New Years itself.)

Although I've been in New York a number of times, my partner for this trip hasn't. And, I haven't been to NYC since before 9/11. What are some absolute musts for these days for a first timer? Would also welcome suggestions on places to dine, and gay clubs and other places to hit.

Thanks in advance.

--EBG

Archived