Mayan Ruins

down_to_business
This topic is 4516 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I would really like to hear from anyone, especially someone who has toured both!

Limited time in port and I am trying to chose between two Mayan ruin tours.

Option 1, Port Costa Maya : Kohunlich

-or-

Option 2, Port Cozumel : Tulum

Which of the 2 absolutely can't be missed? Chichen Itza is NOT an option on this trip.

Thanks

I have not toured both. Only been to Tulum on a day trip from Cancun. As I recall, it took about 3 hours to drive there. Anyway, it was interesting but I would not return. I was not blown away. After seeing many of the ruins in Peru, Tulum just didn't do that much for me.

I have only been to Tulum, but was there for the solstice, when the "snake" appears on the ruins. It is an incredible experience to realize how they built this temple in such a way as to utilize the sun to create this experience. I am sure your experience would in part be dictated by whom you are with, whether you have a good guide, etc. It was a long ride to get there, but the group that I was with had a wonderful time.

DD

• 1 month later...

Sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier. My information is, by now, probably too late. I have visited both site as I am something of a Maya nut. The sites are extremely different.

Kohunlich is the more significant site both historically and archeologically. It is rather large and much work has yet to be done. If you intend to visit it would be worth your time to do some reading about the place prior to your visit.

Tulum was never a very important Maya city. The real charm of Tulum is the location. It is situated on cliffs overlooking the Caribbean and is drop dead gorgeous. This is the type of place one goes to simply enjoy and relax. It certainly does not require any advance study.

FYI I wound up going to Kohunlich. I chose it because they let you climb/touch the ruins and I figured I would enjoy doing other stuff in Cozumel more than Costa Maya. I went unprepared but enjoyed the experience anyways. The tour guide gave decent enough historical talks.

The only real negative was the 2 hour bus ride to get there.

Thanks for the responses before (and after) my trip :)

Archived