Mexico City Info..

Ace
This topic is 4607 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi EZE,

I think you asked me about El Taller on a previous thread and I forgot to give you my report. El Almacen/El Taller is still open, according to my old friends, but we heard that there were various unpleasant problems within the owner's family which lasted for several years, so the bar was frequently opening and closing. I'm curious about your observation of a sign, as one of the "charms" about the place, was that there was no sign. Anyways, I only mentioned it during my ramble, as the type of place to avoid if you have safety concerns in a big city after dark. I doubt that it is the bar of your memories, though it still has a following of some "hardcore" men. I must say from your various postings, that you seem to go on quite a few risky adventures during your extensive travels, I'm always happy when you post again and don't report any injuries. My worst "gay" traveler's experience happened in Greensboro, NC, and yes, heavy alcohol abuse was involved, so trouble can find you just about anywhere. The tragic killings that have happened in Mexico are truly awful and must be acknowledged, so judicious planning just has to be done and not ignored.

Hi jackboy. The signs that say "clausurado" at El Taller is not a sign identifying the bar. It is paper stickers put on the establishment by the police, taxman, or health department indicating they are in violation of some law or rule and have been slut down by the authorities. The bar itself, still had no idenity sign other than the ever-present gears on the outside wall.

I am not sure I understand your statement about violence in Mexico. It is a huge issue in border cities but violence in Mexico City itself is not really much worse now that it has ever been. Yes there is serious crime in Mexico City and there always has been. Same for Miami, Atlanta, and St. Louis. As others have mentioned, one must take the normal precautions that one should take in any large city.

As for your comment on me taking risky adventures in my travels, I have no idea what you are talking about. I am living proof that one can travel extensively in Latin America and have lots of fun.....and still stay safe. Yes it helps that I speak fluent Spanish and Portuguese and that I have very perceptive street smarts. Having said that, I have never been a victim of any violent crime....not even close. No bar fights, gay-bashing, or even hold-ups. I avoid problem situations by sticking mainly with trustworthy people, having absolutely nothing to do with drugs or people that use them (this is a huge issue in my view. People involved in drugs bring nothing but problems to themselves and those around them), and reading people and situations very well. So I really do not know what my risky adventures are.

Ace,

Based on your last post, I fear that some of the previous extreme posts may have put you and your client off going to Mexico City. That would be a real shame if it were so. Anyway, I wish you pleasant travels wherever you decide to travel.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ace,

Based on your last post, I fear that some of the previous extreme posts may have put you and your client off going to Mexico City. That would be a real shame if it were so. Anyway, I wish you pleasant travels wherever you decide to travel.

Well it certainly put me OFF. I'm just gonna stay home and beat my pinata with a big stik...

Sir, your comments are hurtful and filled with ignorance. I tried to ignore them, but I must say this, then I will not post about this anymore. HOW MANY FRIENDS HAVE YOU BURIED because of violence in Mexico City!!!!! How many hours have you spent crying with a women that I have employed for more than 8 years and who nursed with LOVING care both my parents and held there hand as they passed away.. She is MY FAMILY now and When violence south of the border takes her fathers life and she is told by American officials and Mexican authorities in MEXICO CITY that it is not only to dangerous to attend the funeral because of possible repercusions and she is told NOT TO EVEN INQUIRE about her own fathers death, then ABSOLUTLEY I am going to speak up about the violence there. For the record he was NOT, I REPEAT NOT part of any drug or gang, but simply walking home from work and got caught up in a drug shoot out. It is not ARROGANT sir or STUPID to say that Mexico is experiencing HiGH levels of violence, that is a reality. I did not tell Ace and his client not to go, but I was compelled to at least warn Ace and his client that things have really changed there. My good friend had a house in Cabo for the better part of 20 years, never any problems. The last few years, EVERY TIME he went down the house had been vandalized and the last time just before he sold it, he was robbed at gun point on his way to a local store. Or my DEAR friend whom I got a call less than a year ago in the middle of the night and was told that they had found his body, stabbed 17 times in a back alley in Mexico city outside a bar. I did not tell Ace NOT TO GO, I said IF you go please be careful. That is it. you sir are the one that is arrogant and stupid..There is no need to respond to this post, You have GREATLY UPSET ME this morning and I have had quite enough. The original op asked about Mexico and I gave him my thoughts.

Hey Steven..Just clicked on your website, just cause I was curious. Have seen you post here before and you are usually the voice of reason. Saw you are doing the Aids ride. Some friends have convinced me to ride with them also. I am VERY excited and have NEVER done anything like that before. They say it is amazing and life changing...anyway, if you are in S.F. before or L.A. after...............uuumm maybe we could meet for a session, that is if you don't think me a complete troll. (lol) PM me if you desire or post here....

Great post, Raul. I grew up in Mexico City and this reflects the city I know, even though it has changed enormously over the years. Like just about all mega-cities in developing countries there are crime problems and areas that are best avoided by non-locals. But it's also a great world capital, the largest city in the Spanish-speaking world, and the home of countless historical, archeological and artistic treasures. Use the same street-smarts you'd apply in New York or Rio or Sao Paulo (all popular destinations for many guys on this site) and you're likely to avoid any problems at all. As you can see, many people have been traveling to Mexico City for years with no hassles! BTW, don't freak about the water or the food. It's true that you should drink bottled water in Mexico City because the city's water system is vulnerable to leaks and seepage as it keeps settling into the old lake bed on which the city is built. The water is clean at the source, but it can become contaminated after rain falls. However, almost all good hotels have central filtration systems, so the water there is safe. Vegetables for salads and fresh fruits at good restaurants are also safe -- Mexico City residents routinely soak these things in sterilizing solutions before using them and good restaurants all do. Don't eat such things on the street or at public markets where they don't have the facilities for sterilizing them. Believe me, Mexico City is filled with thousands of restaurants and their customers aren't all staggering around with food poisoning! Enjoy your trip -- Mexico (as locals call it) is one of the world's great cities and you'll eat, play and dine very well there!

Archived