Directions: Met Opera stage door

WilliamM
This topic is 4620 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Now I am not sure if this still exists, but back in the very early 1970's there was a way to get backstage via the long corridor that parallels the right side of the orchestra section. At the very end of the hallway admirers would be lined up... However, as I recall one might have had to be on "the list" in order to get in. I have not ventured into that area of the house in a zillion years and had completely forgotten about it, but your question triggered something deep in the recesses of my memory banks. Of course on the day back in 1970 when I inadvertently first ventured into that area the fans were clamoring for Miss Sutherland...

Now if it still exists, I would assume that one would still need to get on "the list"...

Ahh... those lists are usually prepared by each "star" or their manager. Sometimes one can get on the "list" be contacting the manager of the star... especially if you are out of town and can mention things about the star that make you want to meet him/her. I have had the most luck meeting some of the male stars of various ballet companies, but I have friends who regularly go backstage to meet stars from Opera. I like the old addage, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ah memories! I wonder who the keeper of "the list" is nowadays?

That really brings back memories of my second Broadway show: "Gypsy" with Ethel Merman. Even as a 16-year old, I realized that Merman was giving a great performance, with incredible stage presence. After the show, I noticed only a few people at the stage door. Why? There was no 'list'. Most nights Merman left by another door or the front of the theater. Welcome to show business.

Now I am not sure if this still exists, but back in the very early 1970's there was a way to get backstage via the long corridor that parallels the right side of the orchestra section. At the very end of the hallway admirers would be lined up... However, as I recall one might have had to be on "the list" in order to get in. I have not ventured into that area of the house in a zillion years and had completely forgotten about it, but your question triggered something deep in the recesses of my memory banks. Of course on the day back in 1970 when I inadvertently first ventured into that area the fans were clamoring for Miss Sutherland...

Now if it still exists, I would assume that one would still need to get on "the list"...

It still exists, and it works as it used to! :)

Interestingly the MET called me today and asked if I wanted to become a patron. I wonder if that would automatically get on one "the list"... At any rate, I declined as from a monetary point of view becoming a MET patron would significantly cut into my patronage of the working guy...

Archived