Mykonos tips? Place to stay, avoid, best locations for nightlife and beach, etc.

tony
This topic is 4666 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Am I posting in the wrong place or perhaps even the wrong site! I just got back from an Ibiza vacation and am planning another to Mykonos next year. ANY, and I mean, ANY advice on where to stay, avoid, close to the small bars nightlife or the beaches? I assume the nightlife as the beaches one can perhaps take a cab or scooter.

PLEASE, any advice from people who have been would really help me plan a great vacation again.

Thank you all.

I went to Mykonos back in the '90s, with a group of straight friends. So I really can't speak to the gay life for which it's famous because I didn't partake, and it was more than 10 years ago at that ... BUT ...

Please let me recommend a visit to the nearby island of Delos while you're there. It was a religious center and the ruins are splendid. It's a very easy boat ride from Mykonos and well worth it. It's also a day trip thing. They don't allow anyone on the island after sunset.

I too visited Mykonos back in the mid-nineties. It was a wonderful vacation. Suggestion...do what we did. My partner and I went on a fabulous cruise around the Greek islands and Turkey and on the last stop, Mykonos, jumped shipped and parked ourselves in Mykonos for 6 days. We flew back to Athens, spent the night and and then flew back to NY. I don't see a listing for the property we stayed in but it was right in town with lovely large rooms and a pool. If you stay in town you can walk everywhere but to get to the beaches you have to take a boat, or rent a scooter, or take the bus. Elia, Paradise, and Super Paradise Beaches are the big tourist attractions with lots of clothing optional folks. There were 4 gay bars in town during my trip and they were all in same spot! What's nice about Mykonos is that few folks stay inside the bars and most of the action is out on the street at the outside tables. It's a beautiful island and I am sure you will have a wonderful trip. If you liked Ibiza, you'll definitely like Mykonos, they both have the same architecture and vibe. Begin by checking out this website with lots of info on Gay Mykonos:

http://www.nighttours.com/mykonos/

ED

Guest Bauer
If you liked Ibiza, you'll definitely like Mykonos, they both have the same architecture and vibe. Begin by checking out this website with lots of info on Gay Mykonos:

http://www.nighttours.com/mykonos/

ED

It's a magical place, but best experienced when at anchor. That way, you are assured of "closed circle monogamy" unless of course the guests are very good swimmers.

I used to go to Mykonos every year. You'll notice that Mykonos is a volcanic and rocky island with darker and black shades and very little vegetation once you're off the beaten paths compared to the greener Ibiza Island. The two main gay beaches to explore are Elia and Super Paradise. If you find yourself in Super Paradise go up the cliff towards the pool and bar located at the far end of the gay section and watch the sunset. The place to be for after dinner drinks, socializing and cruising is the bar called Pierro's in the old town. Some reports say that the port and the small adjacent beach to the lighthouse can be cruisy at night. Only rent a scooter if you're familiar with it and have rented one in Europe before. You'll be surprised at the number of tourists that end up their vacation in the hospital. The roads are mostly narrow, crowded & can be downright dangerous due to other inexperienced riders and the scooter itself which doesn't operate as the ones you guys are familiar with here in the US.

Only rent a scooter if you're familiar with it and have rented one in Europe before. You'll be surprised at the number of tourists that end up their vacation in the hospital. The roads are mostly narrow, crowded & can be downright dangerous due to other inexperienced riders and the scooter itself which doesn't operate as the ones you guys are familiar with here in the US.[/color]

I can attest to that. About 10 feet separated me from the edge of a cliff when I lost control of mine.

My first time in Mykonos was in 1983 (yes...) and I still have an amazing memory about it. Apart from the natural stunning beauty of the island, me being naked (and young and handsome...) on a beach surrounded by naked hot gay men was a new thriling experience. :)

At that time only Super Paradise Beach was virtually totally gay and very busy, Elia Beach was magnificent and sort of "wild" (no umbrellas, no chairs, of course no pool or music) and it was my favorite, with mostly naked gay men wanting the freedom of being surrounded by other naked men without the crowd of Super Paradise. Night life of course was very exciting, especially for a 22 years hot young Italian single young man...

I went back in 1988 with a boyfriend and it had changed very little, just slighlty busier but still very charming.

When I went back in 2001 with my partner (and when I was 40...), it was a little bit of a shock. The town had become much busier, even if the little harbor and the panorama with windmills still was as beautiful as always. Elia Beach had transformed into a busy noisy (still gorgeous) beach with disco music, a pool, chairs, beds and umbrellas. I was happy that I went at the very beginning of June, I could have not stand it in July or August!

The only place that had remained almost the same was a little beach above Panormos beach, with a great little restaurant run by two German lesbians on the fabulous little strand of sand and breathtaking water.

I spent last year a few hours during an afternoon at the little harbor while waiting for a ferry to Paros Island, I sat at a cafe and enjoyed it watching around.

It IS a beautiful island, but for my taste tourism has partially ruined it.

But I doubt I would spend another vacation there, perhaps it would ruin the memories I have of this combination of wild, gay, busy, romantic, quiet, charming that I want to keep.

DON'T miss a trip to Delos, the the scary ride on a ferry that faces the rough sea it's really worthy.

Thank you ALL so very much for your suggestions and responses, I truly appreciate them! I was there once on a day cruise and left after 6 hours, so I just had dinner and loved the place.

I was wondering if you can suggest a section of the island one might stay to enjoy the nightlife, as I understand the beaches can be reached by scooter or taxi. I did rent a scooter in Ibiza but my friend drove and I hung on!

Again, I didn't expect so many responses, you all are great for helping me decide qhere to stay so as to be close to all and not have to take taxis at night.

I know it's a year away, but I like planning ahead, and am trying to fly there for free using airlines miles.

THANK YOU ALL again.

I was wondering if you can suggest a section of the island one might stay to enjoy the nightlife, as I understand the beaches can be reached by scooter or taxi. I did rent a scooter in Ibiza but my friend drove and I hung on!

THANK YOU ALL again.

Stay in or very close to town, within walking distance. It's a bummer trying to make it back to a resort late night/early morning after the bars if you have no transportation. Remember Mykonos is almost exactly like Ibiza, so you get the idea of where you want to be. Check the gay travel websites for properties in Mykonos.

ED

I was wondering if you can suggest a section of the island one might stay to enjoy the nightlife.

There are several small towns on the Island. I'd definitely stay either close to the old town OR close to one of the two gay beaches (pending on your main interest).

There's one very nice all-gay resort in Mykonos. I have to dig up the name ...

Thank you all again, and you are right, Mykonos probably is a lot like Ibiza and perhaps a hotel near the "night scene/bars" may be the right place, as opposed to the beach, which would be a daytime scene.

I will look up the names of hotels and how the island nightlife is divided. I truly appreciate your input and suggestions as no matter how much one reads, it is always best to get the input from someone who has been there "as a tourist" as I will be and knows where to go, stay, etc.

Thank you Steven! You either read my mind or we think alike. I had just finished getting information via a link some so graciously provided and this seems to be the hotel where I would like to stay. Thank you for confirming it! It seems to have all the things I require and is centrally located. Now I just need the dates so I can book my free airline tickets, which will be come available in about 3 weeks.

Thank YOU and than ALL who have contributed your input, I can't say enough how much I appreciate it.

One more minor thing, I was unable to find any nonstop flights from London, but a friend told me he flew Easy Jet there last year, perhaps it was an old flight. Seems like ALL the flights go through Athens.

Thank you all again, very much.

Delos is most definitely on my agenda, but...I cannot believe I tried booking the Elysium Hotel last night for July of 2012 and it was sold out!!! No matter what day in July I picked, it said no rooms available. I will keep trying and hope some rooms open up or else start looking for a back-up hotel. That one seems perfect in every way imaginable.

Thank you all again.

Delos is most definitely on my agenda, but...I cannot believe I tried booking the Elysium Hotel last night for July of 2012 and it was sold out!!! No matter what day in July I picked, it said no rooms available. I will keep trying and hope some rooms open up or else start looking for a back-up hotel. That one seems perfect in every way imaginable.

Thank you all again.

Wow. We arrived there -- and everywhere in Greece -- with no reservations. Now sounds risky looking back. Of course, we were in the shoulder season, not peak season.

Tony,

You may just have to ask them when they have rooms available and then plan around those dates. I have had similar issues when wanting to go other places in high season, especially in smaller properties like the Elysium. Good luck. That is a place I would love to stay too !!!

Thank you for the suggestion Diverdan. I am going to e-mail them and see when they have rooms available. I am going away for the weekend until tuesday, but will see what they respond. Maybe they just don't want to book that far ahead. I have also traveled all over Europe and never (almost never!) had a serious problem getting a room anywhere. Mykonos might be more limited as to its size. This hotel has 45 rooms. Sounds like a great place to have as a home base.

EasyJet and charter flights

One more minor thing, I was unable to find any nonstop flights from London, but a friend told me he flew Easy Jet there last year, perhaps it was an old flight. Seems like ALL the flights go through Athens.

Tony, there are several options. Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air fly both to Mykonos (with connection in Athens) on small propeller jets. In summer time there are several direct charter flights from most European capitals to Mykonos.

I checked about EasyJet: they have direct flights from London every day in August (except Tuesday and Saturday) and only three flights a week in September (Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays). Haven't looked for October. Try making an advanced search for 3 weeks on http://www.easyjet.com

I cannot believe I tried booking the Elysium Hotel last night for July of 2012 and it was sold out!!! No matter what day in July I picked, it said no rooms available.

I just noticed that you were trying to book something for late July 2012. Most airlines and hotels don't book that far in advance. That's why you may get the "unavailable" message.

I remember once I booked a hotel in Paris and upon arrival the front desk told me that my reservation was made for the exact same period of the following year.

Steven, you are correct. I did e-mail the hotel via the link you provided (again, thank you!) and they sent back an automatic response that they would get back to me within 24 hours. I have been out of town on a business trip and just got back. I am wiating to hear from the hotel. Thank you ALL so very much.

The hotel still hasn't responded about availability in July of 2012. I did, however, search on a website for hotel rooms and it stated the Elysium hotel was fully booked (45 rooms) for the month of July of 2012. I still keep hoping it is just a mis-print or an error in the year. Hope springs eternal, still, I need a backup hotel that is just as good as this one and just as well situated. I LOVE the Elysium!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like the Elysium Hotel is too busy to respond. I have received two auto-generated e-mails from them saying they will contact me and...nothing. I tried booking through another website and supposedly the hotel is booked for the entire month of July of 2012.

I finally made a reservation at the Portobello Boutique Hotel, which looks quite nice.

If anyone has stayed there or know of its location in regards to the nightlife, I would appreciate your input. I am looking forward to Mykonos next year. Thank you all!

Archived