Follies

body2body
This topic is 4663 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I read that the Production of "Follies" with Bernadette Peters in Washington D.C. will be coming to New York for a limited engagement. Do any of our New York contributors have any word on when it is scheduled to open? There are supposed to be some changes in the cast as well. Any details will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Its going into the Marquis in August, haven't seen specific dates published yet, but August 7th has been quoted as first preview Not sure who is signed on for Broadway. Know Linda Lavin is a definite no. Hopefully, the 4 leads will remain intact. Don't think tickets are on sale yet.

I believe it's running from sometime in August through the Holidays. Jan Maxwell, one of the four principals, is not transferring to Broadway, nor is Linda Lavin. Don't know about Bernadette, Ron Raines, Danny Burstein, or Elaine Paige. Reigine is also not going to New York. Hopefully, most of the cast will remain intact; I saw the show in DC and it was absolutely fabulous! Jan Maxwell was magnificent and she will be hard to replace. Stay tuned.

Regine is no great loss - in fact I found her almost unintelligible. Jan Maxwell on the other hand is - so much so that I think it will be quite different without her. I saw it in DC, and was extremely impressed with Jan, dare I say it, even more than Bernadette. Also thought Linda Lavin did a great job with Broadway Babies, but it is a small part so not the impact of losing Jan Maxwell. Ah well we will see. I suggest checking in at http://www.Playbill.com every so often. If you click on Briadway over on the left, it will bring up dates, theatres, brief synopses, run times, major cast, and link to internet ticket sales site for every show, currently open or scheduled to open on Broadway. Also a link to off-broadway with much the same info

I agree that Regine is no great loss. But Jan Maxwell was really, really, outstanding as Phyllis and she would be very difficult to replace. There is hope, however; apparently, her other commitment is for the month of July so hopefully she will be--or can become--available for "Follies" in August. Bernadette was excellent, but having now seen her in three shows--"Annie Get Your Gun", "Gypsy", and "Follies"--I have to say that I don't think she's all that great an actress. She is a magnificent singer, and she has an uncanny ability to "act" a song, but she tends to play the scripted portions of the shows the same regardless of the character. Still, she has a quality that makes it all work. Hard to explain. Elaine Paige is another "X-Factor" for the transfer to Broadway; no word at all on her availabilty. In addition to Linda Lavin--who was very good--Elaine had a small role (Carlotta) but she had "the song." Never mind that she chewed scenery like hell; she was still fun to see. Can't wait to find out the details of the Broadway production!

Previews begin August 7 at the Marriott Marquis Theater. Opening night is September 12.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/152280-Follies-with-Bernadette-Peters-Jan-Maxwell-Will-Begin-Broadway-Previews-in-August

The main cast is intact. Linda Lavin already announced that she is not available to join the transfer to Broadway.

Regine is absolutely no loss as she is almost unintelligble! Bring back Liliane Montevecchi from the Lincoln Center concert version! I wasn't blown away by Elaine page but this trnasfer may provide a perfect opportunity for Elaine Stritch to join in and sing "Broadway Baby," or "I'm Still Here."

I saw the DC production twice. I will admit that despite my love of Bernadette, I felt she struggled vocally with the role. Jan Maxwell was superb, Danny Burstein, while a bit young for the role of Buddy worked very hard, and Ron Raines was excellent in the often over-looked role as Ben Stone.

I agree about Regine...she was a washout in the role. And Linda Lavin was good but not amazing. It would be wonderful if they get Stritch to join the cast for Broadway! As for Jan Maxwell, I never heard that she wasn't going to Broadway with the show. Her name has been attached in every bit of advertising I have seen, even as recently as today on playbill.com, so I think it's a done deal that she will be repeating her role. The show overall is good but not great, but I'm hoping with a bit more rehearsal prior to Broadway they will make some tweeks and make it even better.

I'm also wondering if Equity rules will allow Elaine Paige to come to Broadway in the part - there are some pretty stringent rules about members of British Equity coming here and American Equity members going there. It would be something else if they could get Patti Lupone to play Carlotta!

Everything I have heard indicates that Jan Maxwell WILL be reprising her stunning Phyllis. Regine and Lavin are definitely out, and Elaine Paige wasn't mentioned in today's press release. One of the chat boards has been saying that they are looking into Lorna Luft to replace Lavin, and I think that would be great. I don't know that Hattie needs to be an old lady.

As long as they keep the 28 piece orchestra I will be happy.

Everything I have heard indicates that Jan Maxwell WILL be reprising her stunning Phyllis. Regine and Lavin are definitely out, and Elaine Paige wasn't mentioned in today's press release. One of the chat boards has been saying that they are looking into Lorna Luft to replace Lavin, and I think that would be great. I don't know that Hattie needs to be an old lady.

As long as they keep the 28 piece orchestra I will be happy.

Oh God no! Say it isn't so! Luft? Hardly Broadway worthy and not a Broadway baby! So many other deserving singers/actresses out there.

IMHO

ED

Issues with Bernadette (and others) in Follies

I saw the production in Wash DC on Memorial Day weekend. I am very passionate about this show - as I have performed in it in summer stock as Young Roscoe and have seen quite a number of productions - community, regional (at the Papermill Playhouse) and the Broadway revival (with Gregory Harrison, Judith Ivey, etc).

Honestly, I thought many people were miscast...including Bernadette, Elaine Page and Linda Lavin.

In the case of Linda Lavin, her portrayal of Hattie, was that of a "hot mama." Hattie should be like 90 yrs old - and Linda Lavin looked amazing. She had this hot outfit on - showing a lot of leg and she sounded amazing as well. But, she was miscast.

Also, Elaine Page (and I have never seen her perform live) was also miscast. She, again, looked great...but Carlotta is a woman who has seen the world and paid her dues. Elaine Page's Carlotta looked like she lived at a resort spa all her life - so when she sang about all the "good times and bad times" is was not believable. And, the key the song was in - was just about at the end of her range - and she really belted everything high...no guts...she made it sound pretty when it should be gritty.

And finally, I thought Bernadette was really poor and miscast - this is not her role. Sally should be matronly and be a housewife in the middle of nowhere. Bernadette comes out looking great, thin and in a hot red dress. I also agree with the fact with another person who posted that that her acting is "all the same." Having seen her in Annie Get Your Gun, A Little Night Music and Gypsy...its basically the same character - I can't believe it ... she has played the same character in Annie Get Your Gun and A Little Bight Music Her Gypsy was a bit different ... but she has literally not changed her acting style in over 10-12 years.

All of her line deliveries in the show were so "off base" - at one time when she goes off with Ben and claims that "she is probably in love with him." That moment was so horrible - that I literally said (out loud) "that was the worst line reading ever." Several queens turned around at me in horror - but what do those Washington queens know anyway (just kidding, ladies). Trust me, to all you die-hard Follies fans - you would agree with me as well.

I love Bernadette and have been a fan of hers since Mack & Mabel...but she is not right for Sally.

Funny, she sings alot of her songs in soprano range - so those looking to hear her belt might be disappointed. Also, I felt "Losing My Mind" was dreadful...absolutely nothing...i felt absolutely nothing.

The men - Danny Bierstein (sp?) was the best thing in the show along with Ron Raines who has an amazing strong baritone voice. They are a joy to watch.

Jan Maxwell is great in this role. But, her dancing in "Lucy & Jessie" is downright bad. Phyllis really needs to be a hot dancer - and Jan Maxwell is not. That was a disappointment.

I really love this show - but I hate to disappoint those of you who are Follies fans...that there are a lot of issues with many of the female cast members.

Would love to hear any comments from any who want to continue this discussion.

I'm the guy who posted that Bernadette's acting is the same in every show. I stand by that assesment. As for "Follies" as a whole, here are my thoughts:

I was 13 in 1971 when the original production opened at the Winter Garden. I remember seeing Alexis Smith on the cover of "Time", and I have wanted to see this show ever since. I live in the Midwest and flew to DC to see it. I was not actually sure that I would like the show, but I absolutely loved it. That having been said, I think there were a few issues; however, it is possible that with six weeks of performances under their belts and now more rehersal time before the New York opening the director can pull it together.

The Show: It drew me and and kept my attention. The big miss, I felt, was that there should not have been an intermission; the break was a distraction. The original, 1971 production was performed without an intermission and that should have been honored.

Jan Maxell: Fabulous. True, her dancing was marginal in "Lucy and Jessie" but she freely admits that and gives all possible credit to the boys in the chorus who danced rings around her (see the YouTube video with Jan, Bernadette, Ron, Danny, and Elaine discussing the show and taking audience questions). She is not a dancer; perhaps this will be worked on prior to New York. Nevertheless, her portrayal of Phyllis the ice princess was truly amazing. She stole what was supposed to be Bernadette's show.

Bernadette: Played Sally just like she played Mama Rose and Annie Oakley; monotone delivery while redeeming herself with the songs. In addition, this production portrayed Bernadette as sexy and glamorous, something that Sally is not. The tight red dress was all wrong for the character. Sally is a frumpy housefrau and Bernadette should have been costumed to look the part. In the 1971 original, Dorothy Collins was wearing a dowdy, crinolined party dress. Bernadette's singing was amazing and was what saved her, especially "Losing My Mind", and she did look fabulous in that purple gown.

Ron Raines: Beautiful voice, good command of the character.

Danny Burstein: An amazingly talented actor. It's between him and Jan Maxerll for best performance in the show. He was charming, funny, sad and poignant all in the same performance.

Elaine Paige: Diva. As Carlotta, she has arguably the most exquisite song in the show; unfortunately, her scenery chewing reduced her to a characature. "I'm Still Here" is an anthem of survival and should be performed in a very matter-of-fact manner; however, La Paige, no doubt not used to playing a supporting role, was more interested in making an impression than in making a performance. I enjoyed seeing her in person, certainly, but she has the ability to do a much better job.

Linda Lavin: Good job with the song, but completely miscast. Hattie should be much older and much, much, more matronly. Perhaps not an issue now since Lavin won't be joining the New York production.

These issues aside, I loved the show and was not disappointed. I'm certainly glad I made the trip to DC to see it, and I've just made my rezzies to come to New York in the fall to see it again. "I'm so glad I came"!

I saw the DC production as well, and it's fun to see all the varying opinions on the performances. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rosalind Elias's performance as Heidi Schiller. I was stunned at the fine quality of her voice at this point in her career; she's 82! While all the other cast members needed amplification (I was sitting in the 3rd row and could still hear some of them better through the speakers than when they were singing right in front of me), when Elias turned around to start her big number, you could tell an opera singer was in the house. While her acting was a bit wooden, I thought her singing more than made up for it. After a long and distinguished career at the Metropolitan Opera, it was great to see her still hard at work.

• 1 month later...

Archived